The DEER EATER GMC! - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 Old 02-03-2011, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

The DEER EATER GMC!

About an hour ago, I killed my first deer....with a vehicle. We were coming home from getting something to eat and the little doe ran out right in front of us. Whack! Instant venison... what's worse, 1/2 mile from the house!!! 50 mph impact! GMC is tough.

Looks bad, but I don't think it tore it up TOO badly. The fender doesn't even look tweaked. Snapped the plastic headlight mounting brackets and the bumper is pushed in a bit. The middle plastic red piece didn't look like it was torn, just pulled loose, but I dunno.

Truck looks a lot better than the deer, though. Luckily, it was a southern deer. They're a lot smaller than the ones up north. I'd probably have had air bag to the face had it been up north.

Still got his fur in the fog light for evidence. Called the insurance company, but I'm going to assess the damage myself before I follow through on a claim. It's a 500 Comp deductible anyway. But I got a feeling that lamp housing and bumper piece might be more than that even if I do the work myself.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	deereaterGMC.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	8579  

2010 2SS/RS Auto, Sunroof, Engine Cover. Transformer Edition package.
2013 ZL1 ragtop #5478. 1 of 54 CRT M6 'verts.
post #2 of 34 Old 02-03-2011, 06:48 PM

That sucks man! On the bright side, like you said, it could have been much worse. Good thing it was a little one. Good luck w/ the repairs.
post #3 of 34 Old 02-03-2011, 07:02 PM
Veteran Member

When I was 17 years old, my wife (girlfriend at the time) and I hit a deer leaving our Junior Prom. We left the dance at 11:00 to head down to a creek for some alone time, and hit the deer at 11:06. Needless to say, neither one of us got lucky that night....

So, with that being said, I know exactly how you feel. I owned a 1989 S-10 4X4 and it pushed the brush guard right into the grill. After evaluating the damage, I didnít turn it into insurance and fixed the damage myself.
post #4 of 34 Old 02-03-2011, 07:21 PM

Pictures of said dear? errrr dear meat?

2005 CTSV BLACK LS7 Clutch/Flywheel/Slave, Tick Speed Bleeder, Tilton Clutch MC, RevShift Bushings, Domestic V8 Solutions (shifter, 8.8 Diff conversion, srut tower braces, sub-frame connectors), SLP cats, no cags, xpipe, bullet mufflers, Volante, iPod dock, G-force tune; 379hp 381tq.

Killing 5th gens like it is my job.
post #5 of 34 Old 02-03-2011, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Little bastage flew off spinning into the grassy ditch. He's hatin' life right about now.

It was akin to about the bump you feel if you hit a snowdrift. It was a whump and go. A heavy duty whump, but nothing teeth chattering.

I'm not going to fix this one myself. Bumper and headlamp alone with my discounted price is $679.46. Looks like the plastic brackets just gave way on the light, so a new housing assembly is all it needs. Appears nothing bent around the headlamp hole. One small chip in the paint on the fender right on the very front edge, otherwise it looks perfectly straight. Not pushed back at all.

The bumper...different story. Bumper cover looks salvagable, but I noticed a small crack in it. So it's likely going to be replaced. The bumper bar: bent back a little on the pass. side, so I can't be sure if there's some brackets bent or not under there.

I think I'll just pay my $500 deductible and be on my way. First comp other than a windshield in over 30 years. And I've paid them for this long...that's what insurance is for.

If the deer's laying out in the ditch tomorrow, I'll take a couple of pics.

2010 2SS/RS Auto, Sunroof, Engine Cover. Transformer Edition package.
2013 ZL1 ragtop #5478. 1 of 54 CRT M6 'verts.

Last edited by el ess X; 02-03-2011 at 08:05 PM.
post #6 of 34 Old 02-03-2011, 08:10 PM
Veteran Member

ouch...I've killed a few of them in my time. glad you're OK and you truck is fixable.

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.
post #7 of 34 Old 02-03-2011, 08:15 PM

Listen, go get that deer, quarter it, put it in the freezer until tomorrow, take it to your local guy, have it processed and I will pay for it.

2005 CTSV BLACK LS7 Clutch/Flywheel/Slave, Tick Speed Bleeder, Tilton Clutch MC, RevShift Bushings, Domestic V8 Solutions (shifter, 8.8 Diff conversion, srut tower braces, sub-frame connectors), SLP cats, no cags, xpipe, bullet mufflers, Volante, iPod dock, G-force tune; 379hp 381tq.

Killing 5th gens like it is my job.
post #8 of 34 Old 02-03-2011, 10:47 PM

Unless it's pretty darn cold in S.C. right now, I wouldn't touch that meat with a stick.
post #9 of 34 Old 02-03-2011, 10:52 PM

Wow

That God thats all the damage !! Ever see the photo on the internet, of the full size deer, right though the Dodge cab??
post #10 of 34 Old 02-04-2011, 07:16 AM

Only deer I have ever hit was back home in Illinois driving to work up US-150 at like 6 in the morning. I just look up from the normal mirror, mirror, mirror, road scan and there he is looking down at me antlers and all. All I could say was "Aww blank, this is going to hurt." I was in a little Hyundai Tiburon, luckily I only clip his front legs and he rolled down the side of the car. Car was totalled, but that is good thing because my current Camaro was my next purchase.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page