GoPro HD question - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 02-07-2011, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

GoPro HD question

I have been looking at these for a while and am wondering if anyone has one? They seem pretty cool, very versatile and relatively inexpensive for being able to capture in 1080p. I am wanting it for when I get the Camaro running so that I can do some in car and outside the car recording while driving. Also, may mount it in the windshield of the G35 for those fun little road trips.

If anyone has one, or has used one I would like your opinion / impression of the quality of the camera and accessories. And also the true quality of the recording capabilities of it. If you check out their website I am looking at this version:

Motorsports version

Thanks for your help.

David
post #2 of 5 Old 02-07-2011, 01:38 AM

Hello David, i have experiance with the camera you are looking into. To be honest I was not that impressed. When operating it is very difficult to determine whether it is recording or not. The wide angle lense was to wide for my liking, Yes you can see a lot but after a few minutes of watching this distorted screen my eyes began to hurt.
I pretty much never use my goPro any more and I use two other cameras now. the JVC GC-FM1-B for HD 1440x1080 (very light and easy to use) and a Contour HD http://contour.com/ The contour is a way better camera, better video quality and a much better mounting solution.

hope this helps.

Rob
post #3 of 5 Old 02-07-2011, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Rob,

Thanks for the information. I will check these out before making my decision.

David
post #4 of 5 Old 02-07-2011, 01:15 PM
Veteran Member

From what I've seen, the quality is great. The lens is a little wide, but it's better than not being wide enough considering what you'll be using it for. I've never seen the ones that AussieRob mentioned, but they are certainly worth looking into as well if they are in the same price range.

I don't own one, but I do work in the video biz...just my .02.

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-07-2011, 05:07 PM
Veteran Member

I've used mine (GoPro Hero HD) at several events, usually in 1080 HD mode. The picture quality is very good for a video camera at its price point, the capture angle is a bit wide in 1080, but it narrows down a bit at lower resolutions. It's easy to use, easy to transfer video to PC or notebook, and used SD cards which makes changing out the card and getting back to recording fast. The sound recording isn't great because the mic is located on the top of the camera and with the standard case it's covered. If you use the skeleton case with it, the sound gets better. Here's a link to my YouTube channel, all of the Car show video, and the October 2010 Texas Mile videos were done with the GoPro:

http://www.youtube.com/mrsysadm

2SS/RS, CGM, A6, Magnuson TVS2300 Supercharger
My latest dyno: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjrLR0N12B4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page