Good video editing software? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 02-11-2011, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
ModernCamaro.com Founder / Former Camaro Disciple

Good video editing software?

So now that I finally have a good camera, I need some good software to edit video.

The ZL1 videos I shot at the Chicago Auto Show are 1080p, but because of my software situation, I'm forced to convert the files to WMVs and use Windows Movie Maker, which spits out a 480p video.
Not terrible, but not great. I shoot in 1080p for a reason!!

Back in the day I had Pinnacle, which was decent, but doesn't seem to be so great anymore.

What's a good one to buy?

Kinda thinking about picking up Adobe Premiere Elements Plus.
But I'd like to know if there's better options even if it costs more.

2001 Camaro Z28 H/C/I LH6 A4 3.42

Like ModernCamaro.com on Facebook!
post #2 of 10 Old 02-11-2011, 05:08 AM

I have adobe premier. It's very difficult to learn but there are a ton of tutorials out there for it. But none the less, it's a bad ass program.

2SS/RS CGM LS3 purchased 2/22/11 from CamaroScotty
post #3 of 10 Old 02-11-2011, 06:06 AM
Veteran Member

That's what I do for a living...so here's my take...The big 3 are Avid, Final Cut and Premier. All good. Avid bought Pinnacle and turned it into Avid "Liquid", but I think they discontinued it. For your needs you should also look into Sony Vegas. From What I've heard Premier CS4 and CS5 are very good. Most of my experience is w/ Avid. It works great, but it's not cheap and it's picky with what kind of hardware it works on. Whatever you pick (anything is better than windows movie maker), make sure it'll work with whatever format you are shooting and make sure you're computer far-exceeds the min required specs. Pay attention to hard/software recommendations and stick to them. For instance, my software (Avid) only works right with certain OS/SP's, a certain version of quicktime and a certain brand of video-cards/and drivers.

As for editing HD....I find that in most cases (unless you'll be mastering to Bluray), it's just not worth it. It takes up waaaay too much drive space and in order to do anything with it, it requires a ton of computer power, especially if you'll be adding any graphics, titles, FX etc. I shoot in HD, but knock it all down to DV50 or MPEG50 compressions when I import the footage into Avid. I find for the web and DVD, SD is fine...as long as it's encoded correctly. AND, if I need to get it back to HD, Avid will re-import just the clips that I used and up-rez back to HD.

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.

Last edited by POWERFREAK; 02-11-2011 at 07:50 AM.
post #4 of 10 Old 02-11-2011, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Powerfreak!

I have heard a lot of good things about Sony Vegas from other sources too, but I really like Adobe's products.
Call me crazy, but I want to do HD.
Not much beats hitting that full screen icon on YouTube or Vimeo (or what have you) and watching a 1080p clip. DO WANT!
And I think my new computer (see below) should handle it.

Hardware is my other limitation currently, however I am going to build myself a super geeky new computer when Intel's Z68 chipset is released.
It'll be i7-2600K-based (OC'd to around 4.5GHz) with at least 8GB RAM (maybe 12-16GB), at least 240GB of SSDs to run the operating system and programs, 2 1TB hard disks for data storage, and I'm currently leaning towards a ATI Raedon HD57xx 1GB 512-bit video card.

But seeing as Z68 doesn't come out til April, I guess a lot of that could change lol.

In the mean time I'm stuck with my laptop, so I don't think I'll bother with good video editing software until I can build the new computer.

Again - thanks for the advice!

post #5 of 10 Old 02-11-2011, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member

I recommend Final Cut Pro, or the regular Final Cut. I took three classes on it in high school and it works great.
post #6 of 10 Old 02-11-2011, 12:08 PM

Get a MAC for starters .....kidding...We use Final Cut here...experimenting the Premiere since we have the CS5 Suite.

ZL1213 (formerly Z OHHH 6)

2010 2SS/RS (Auto/L99)
2012 ZL1 #213 - M6, Black on Black
post #7 of 10 Old 02-11-2011, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctaneSS/RS View Post
Thanks Powerfreak!

I have heard a lot of good things about Sony Vegas from other sources too, but I really like Adobe's products.
Call me crazy, but I want to do HD.
Not much beats hitting that full screen icon on YouTube or Vimeo (or what have you) and watching a 1080p clip. DO WANT!
And I think my new computer (see below) should handle it.

Hardware is my other limitation currently, however I am going to build myself a super geeky new computer when Intel's Z68 chipset is released.
It'll be i7-2600K-based (OC'd to around 4.5GHz) with at least 8GB RAM (maybe 12-16GB), at least 240GB of SSDs to run the operating system and programs, 2 1TB hard disks for data storage, and I'm currently leaning towards a ATI Raedon HD57xx 1GB 512-bit video card.

But seeing as Z68 doesn't come out til April, I guess a lot of that could change lol.

In the mean time I'm stuck with my laptop, so I don't think I'll bother with good video editing software until I can build the new computer.

Again - thanks for the advice!

Premier is great because it's interconnected w/ afterFX and PS. Your "need to do HD" might change after you see how long render and encoding times are. BUT, for short projects that are not graphic heavy, it shouldn't be too bad. Like I said, it's all about the encoding. I have projects on youtube that are not HD but look great full screen (and stream quickly).

Your future system specs look good. If you are going w/ premier, just research which video cards work well with it, but you should be fine. (It's not as picky as Avid is, Avid will ONLY work right w/ Nvidia cards). For HD, you will need fast drives for your media...and a raid0 setup for even faster performance. 8g of ram is probably fine...I don't even think most software will utilize more anyway. From what I've learn in building a few computers for editing is spend more $$$ on a very stable "workstation" level motherboard and a solid power supply.

Here's some good reading...(skip down passed the "buy a dell" BS to the DIY section)...

http://www.videoguys.com/Guide/RE/0x...ce243a6c6.aspx

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:

Last edited by POWERFREAK; 02-11-2011 at 12:26 PM.
post #8 of 10 Old 02-11-2011, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I'm planning on a RAID0 setup for the SSDs - either 3x80GB or 4x80GB... maybe even 5 or 6 of them and just do my HDD data storage and optical drive from a second SATA card.
So that should be nice and fast.
I will definitely plan to temporarily store all video on the SSDs for editing, then move it to the HDD when completed.

Perhaps I'll look into a better video card too, but I think what I'm looking at should be sufficient.

post #9 of 10 Old 02-11-2011, 02:45 PM
www.camaroscotty.com

Garage
I have adobe on my i7 HP here at work (and now at home).....Once I learn it's full potential, I will rock.

Plenty of training aids out there, especially Ebay -

http://www.camaroscotty.com
YAHOO IM:
CamaroScotty / FACEBOOK: Camaro Scotty
post #10 of 10 Old 02-11-2011, 04:38 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctaneSS/RS View Post
Yeah I'm planning on a RAID0 setup for the SSDs - either 3x80GB or 4x80GB... maybe even 5 or 6 of them and just do my HDD data storage and optical drive from a second SATA card.
So that should be nice and fast.
I will definitely plan to temporarily store all video on the SSDs for editing, then move it to the HDD when completed.

Perhaps I'll look into a better video card too, but I think what I'm looking at should be sufficient.
do NOT run the OS on a raid0...you're asking for trouble. Raid's fail and drives fail (yes even SSD's, just read the reviews on newegg)...if 1 drive fails you lose everything (OR if you want multiple SSD's, go with RAID 1, 5 or 10), or just 1 big SSD. Get a couple SATA 6.0's in a RAID0 and that will fine for media. The more drives in the raid the faster it will be. I would also keep all the video files on the RAID and NOT with the OS. I always have 1 system drive for the OS and all programs and keep all the big video files off that drive. Have a big external drive set aside for backing up your finished videos.

Quote:

Last edited by POWERFREAK; 02-11-2011 at 04:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page