New MacBook Pros Are Out - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 02-24-2011, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

New MacBook Pros Are Out

For anyone that is an Apple person heed my own personal advice. I also work at Best Buy as an Apple sales rep.

If you have a MacBook Pro and it does what it needs to do - save your money. Why?

- No increase in screen resolution
- Lower batter life
- True i7 Quadcore is nice - but, from the HHD supplied from a data/CPU retrieveal standpoint it's moot.
- Thunderbolt (previously known as LightsPeak) has two immediate flaws - lack of devices (for right now) to utilize it - and there's 10 watts of power available on the bus, up slightly from FireWire's 8 watts. Now, keep in mind however, that Thunderbolt is very impressive. Just not worth buying a MacBook Pro just for that - right now. Whats even more fustrating is that its intergrated with the mini display port. So if you want to use future devices...you will need a spliter to utilize it with mutiple devices.
- No physical change (meaning the "major revision" that most wait for)
- Higher prices

Now, if you don't own a Mac and want to buy one you have two choices - buy, the ones now when they get discounted or opt for the new ones. The new ones aren't shabby at all - but, price for price - I would get the current model if the prices are good.

I currently own the MBP Core i7 2.66ghz 15" model. I see no real immediate reason for me to trade my MacBook Pro and pay over 500+ for a difference I may not even notice. The GPU upgrade is better than the one currently in the MacBook Pro lineup right now... I have the GeForce Nvdia 330M GT vs the new AMD 6750M. It does have more internal GPU ram however, but for the most part buying again/trading on that alone shouldn't justify the price hike.

So what would I do as a consumer? Wait. Let the the new I/O interface be a proven standard first (Thunderbolt) and see what devices come out to actually be worth the price of admission and for that major MacBook Pro revision (meaning body styling and etc). Typically, the major revisions are every three years. So if you can hold off with the current Macs you got untill 2012 - wait. Just my 2 cents.

2010 Limited Edition Synergy Green Camaro

Last edited by JoJo Zzang; 02-24-2011 at 11:16 AM.
post #2 of 8 Old 02-24-2011, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member

i sold my 17" macbook pro for $1000 a couple months ago. didn't need it anymore because i inherited a 27" iMac when i got married and i hardly ever travel.

April 2010 Member/Car of the Month

Gone but not Forgotten!
post #3 of 8 Old 02-24-2011, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJewel2SS View Post
i sold my 17" macbook pro for $1000 a couple months ago. didn't need it anymore because i inherited a 27" iMac when i got married and i hardly ever travel.
Just spoke with some of my other Apple folks - and we were in agreeance over the dismal of the update. It's a great update - just not for those who already own a 2010 MBP. You would alot by trading up - if that makes any sense.

Just wait for 2012 revision which will have the major revision most were expecting. Apple does this typically in three year cycles.

post #4 of 8 Old 02-24-2011, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiCEADDiCTBOY View Post
Just spoke with some of my other Apple folks - and we were in agreeance over the dismal of the update. It's a great update - just not for those who already own a 2010 MBP. You would alot by trading up - if that makes any sense.

Just wait for 2012 revision which will have the major revision most were expecting. Apple does this typically in three year cycles.
what about the next gen iPad... i don't have one because i felt like i didn't need it with an iphone, macbook pro, and imac. but now that the laptop is gone i can't surf the internet effectively while i watch TV

that new best buy buy back program, do they even give you what the computer/tv is worth?

April 2010 Member/Car of the Month

Gone but not Forgotten!
post #5 of 8 Old 02-24-2011, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJewel2SS View Post
what about the next gen iPad... i don't have one because i felt like i didn't need it with an iphone, macbook pro, and imac. but now that the laptop is gone i can't surf the internet effectively while i watch TV

that new best buy buy back program, do they even give you what the computer/tv is worth?
The Buy Back isn't too shabby - up to six months they give back up to 50% of value and one year (which I think is the better value) is up to 40% and so on and so forth.

The next iPad comes out next thursday. However, the new smaller MacBook Air I would recommend. It has the Mac App Store, an actual laptop, 30 day power standby, about an inch and a half larger than an iPad.

post #6 of 8 Old 02-24-2011, 07:32 PM

It is my understanding that the Thunderbolt connection can be daisy chained. Therefore, while the Apple Cinema LED doesn't have a port, theoretically I could plug my display into the last thunderbolt device on the chain. So for example, as soon as an external drive with that type of connection is available, theoretically it should have a port cable of supporting the chain and therefore I would plug my display into the drive and the drive into the Macbook Pro.

I think for the average user, the upgrades are not worth getting too excited, but for those of us that are looking to squeeze every ounce of performance out of our Macbook Pros, this is a good step in that direction. At least now I can get a Macbook Pro that is more powerful than the Lenovo laptop I use as well.

ZL1213 (formerly Z OHHH 6)

2010 2SS/RS (Auto/L99)
2012 ZL1 #213 - M6, Black on Black
post #7 of 8 Old 02-26-2011, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Well out of complete randomness I had a guy offer me 1,700 for mine. So I took it and used military discount for $200 off the 2.2 quad 15" MBP. and used my best buy discount for two years geek squad.

I did some geekbench testing and it randoms around 10K .... Basically in par with current Mac Pro desktops... Which have 8 cores...

Impressive.

post #8 of 8 Old 02-26-2011, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Almost 11k...without upgrades while running multiple programs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2011-02-26 at 6.39.00 PM.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	8971  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page