Any resume pros here? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 02-24-2011, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Any resume pros here?

I am currently undergoing medical retirement as some may know - and the more people that I have look at my resume the better off. I know a few military veterans are lurking around here as well... Any advice (yes, pros and cons ) would be great. I'm still working on it and placed some "placeholders" in the mean time. My goal is to start shooting this out Monday.

V/R,
Joe
Attached Files
File Type: docx Resume.docx (39.9 KB, 100 views)

2010 Limited Edition Synergy Green Camaro

post #2 of 10 Old 02-24-2011, 05:37 PM

Overall it looks good. Intro is a bit long & wordy. I might try some different fonts, the one you have looks nice but it's not as easy to read as it could be. you really want a handful of facts to jump off the page.

I like that you quantified a number of your skills/experiences. That's important. Too many people say "Managed weekly sales team" when it should say "Managed staff of 12 and budget of $300k". Or instead of saying "increased sales & office productivity", say "Increased sales by 30% and streamlined 4 dept processes"

But overall, it's good. My wife & I both started new jobs in the last 2 years and have become resume guru's. I've seen some really crap ones lately, but yours is good. Military experience is always a plus
post #3 of 10 Old 02-24-2011, 06:48 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
What are you looking for, will you try to get civ ser. Have they explained the va waiver stuff to you. If you want info PM me, I am a ret USAF military personnelist...I looked at your resume, IMO I looks like you wrote it like a performance report. I do not have the new word on my system at the house at this time. So can not tell if your format is good or when my version converted it and it looked funky..

2013 LT2/RS, Crystal Red Metallic, TAZ Jr.
2016 H-D Ultra Classic, Black Fire Purple, (PPE)
2015 H-D Street Glide, Superior Blue. (Old Blue) Traded
2012 Big Horn, RAM, Crew Cab, SLT, Dark Cherry Red Pearl (Betty Boop)
1998 Honda Accord 2d, daily driver.

Last edited by Guapo; 02-24-2011 at 06:55 PM.
post #4 of 10 Old 02-24-2011, 08:42 PM

DUMP that email. Not Professional.

I agree that it is too wordy and the font is not easy to read. Arial or Times New Roman works well. Deside if you are seeking a computer job, a mental health job, or graphic designer job. Nothing wrong with having several different formats.

self employment history in unnecessary unless you are looking for similar work.

JMO
post #5 of 10 Old 02-25-2011, 08:14 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Your TAP Class should be able to Help U as well....

Retired US Air Force & Loving Life!!!
2012 Corvette "Centennial Edition" Coupe
2012 Grand Sport 3LT
post #6 of 10 Old 02-25-2011, 02:46 PM

Ditch the e-mail address for something more professional. Just try your first initial and last name instead. Or something like that.

Change the font to something like Times New Roman, Calibri, Arial or even Courier depending on who is going to be reading the document.

Two pages is perfect for length. Anything more won't be read and anything less won't be taken seriously. If you submit your resume on a website the document will most likely be scanned by a computer that looks for keywords. If you don't have those keywords, then the document is tossed. Something that I did when looking for a new job was to put a keywords section at the top of my resume. That helped tremendously.

When it does get in the hands of a person you want them to be able to read it easily and get your point immediately. The HR guy who is screening applications only has so much time in the day to read all that come in. And a LOT will be coming in with so many people out of work. So, make it stand out as best you can.

When I was a manager reading resumes it would irritate me when someone used a fancy font or a font that was too small to read easily. More than four pages it was automatically tossed to the bottom of the pile. I would spend no more than 5 minutes per resume. If you can't convince me to setup a job interview in 5 minutes then we're done here. Harsh sounding, but it's reality these days.

Here is an excellent article I found on CNN a few days back. I hope this helps.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/LIVING/01/21...iref=allsearch

"Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice. Pull down your pants... and slide on the ice." Sidney Friedman

"A hero is made in the moment, not from questioning the past or fearing what's to come."

Last edited by Kalenn; 02-25-2011 at 02:49 PM.
post #7 of 10 Old 02-25-2011, 04:14 PM

Garage
When you are done I suggest you submit to Lucasgroup. (Google it) They do a lot of hiring from the services and are a worldwide organization. They have lots to offer exiting service members. Oh, and thanks for your service.

2010 2SS/RS RJT, ADM CAI, Borla Shorties, Borla "S" Cat Back, Edelbrock E-Force Supercharger, GMS Wires, Rear Trailing Arms, Rotors, End Links, Tunnel Brace, Rear Tie Rods, 1G Suspension Package, Stage 3 CNC ported heads, R12 Custom Ground Camshaft, Meth Injection, GMS Custom Tuned, Norris Catch Can, MTI Brake Lines, Pfadt Coilovers, Sway Bars, Camber Kit, and Rear LCA Reinforcement, , AAC Footwell, Trunk and Dome LED Lighting, RED B/A Pedals, Ported TB, 621RWHP/584TQ
post #8 of 10 Old 02-25-2011, 08:12 PM
Supporter of common sense

Length does not matter as long as everything is relevant. Professional appearing email is a must.
This doc should be your sales brochure, first third of page 1 must grab their attention or its a waste to be honest.

Best, current resume advice I've seen in print recently is in a book '48 days to the work you love'
pick up a copy, well worth the time

Joe :: Over Anxious 67 Camaro RS/SS L78
5thgenblog.com // Michigan Classics
Chevrolet Camaro in Transformers // My ebaY auctions

Hot Rod Search Google searches for gearheads!
post #9 of 10 Old 02-27-2011, 04:17 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalenn View Post
Ditch the e-mail address for something more professional. Just try your first initial and last name instead. Or something like that.

Change the font to something like Times New Roman, Calibri, Arial or even Courier depending on who is going to be reading the document.

Two pages is perfect for length. Anything more won't be read and anything less won't be taken seriously. If you submit your resume on a website the document will most likely be scanned by a computer that looks for keywords. If you don't have those keywords, then the document is tossed. Something that I did when looking for a new job was to put a keywords section at the top of my resume. That helped tremendously.

When it does get in the hands of a person you want them to be able to read it easily and get your point immediately. The HR guy who is screening applications only has so much time in the day to read all that come in. And a LOT will be coming in with so many people out of work. So, make it stand out as best you can.

When I was a manager reading resumes it would irritate me when someone used a fancy font or a font that was too small to read easily. More than four pages it was automatically tossed to the bottom of the pile. I would spend no more than 5 minutes per resume. If you can't convince me to setup a job interview in 5 minutes then we're done here. Harsh sounding, but it's reality these days.

Here is an excellent article I found on CNN a few days back. I hope this helps.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/LIVING/01/21...iref=allsearch
Kalenn makes some really good points here. We've been trying to hire a new programmer for months where I work, and I'm afraid the average IT candidate just doesn't get the concept of brevity. Bottom line, two pages is ideal and if the experience isn't relevant to the position you are seeking it probably won't help your chances to include it. Of course, if you're straight out of college, any recent work experience is probably worth mentioning, as you'll need the references.

Still legal in 16 states. It's happy. It's fun. It's Happy Fun Car.
Do not taunt Happy Fun Car.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-05-2011, 08:45 AM

Some good advice I got about file names for your resume is save your resume with your name in the file name. Do you know how many people just save their resume as resume.doc? This makes it really hard for the hiring manager to find yours again when all the files on their computer are saved as resume.doc. If you save in the format as lastname.firstname - resume MM-DD-YYYY.doc then if you e-mail it or submit it through a web site they will automatically be able to read your name from the file name. The more times you get your name running through their head the easier it is for them to remember you if they like it. Plus it makes it a lot easier for them to search their e-mails for your resume again.
As a few people have pointed out getting a professional e-mail with just your name in it also makes it easier for the hiring manager to send you a follow up e-mail and it just plain looks better than someone trying to figure out some quirky e-mail address you took out for all your buddies to e-mail you at.
Good luck with the job search.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page