Should I consider a career change? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 05-04-2011, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
ModernCamaro.com Founder / Former Camaro Disciple

Question Should I consider a career change?

Well, here I am in the same job I've had for... going on 11 years.
For those of you who don't know: I'm the Technology & Marketing Coordinator for the local library.
It's not the worst, but it has its days.
Doesn't pay the greatest either, but I'm not hurting.

There are perks though, I'm close to home (6 blocks), the benefits are nice, and I have tons of job security.
But we've had a change of leadership about a year ago, and the new director is making this a place I'm starting to hate.
Kinda sad, I used to love it here.

I went into the computer field because it interested me, but I'm beginning to severely dislike this line of work.

As most of you know, I owned and operated this website as a sole proprietorship for 4 years.
Lemme tell ya, I had tons of fun doing this website, and from many aspects!
I enjoyed it so much that I've considered launching my own automotive media/marketing company on a full-time basis (it exists already, but not much going on with it anymore).

So here's my dilemma:
My wife and I are looking to move into a bigger house, so we have started to look at houses.
In a couple years we'll want to start having kids.
For those reasons, I absolutely need secure employment (as is the case with pretty much everyone).

So...
Do I stay in this bum of a job and keep the security of it?
Or do I go out on my own to pursue my passion of cars and social marketing?

You all have been great supporters of me, so that's why I feel like I can spill my guts here!

2001 Camaro Z28 H/C/I LH6 A4 3.42

Like ModernCamaro.com on Facebook!
post #2 of 26 Old 05-04-2011, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
Tough choice but i say follow your dreams and go for it. As successful as you made 5thgen/moderncamaro i believe you can make it plus it will bring back happiness into working.

2014 2LT/RS with spring edition package. Proud Litho Owner #28.
post #3 of 26 Old 05-04-2011, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaproshop View Post
Tough choice but i say follow your dreams and go for it. As successful as you made 5thgen/moderncamaro i believe you can make it plus it will bring back happiness into working.
Do what you love. If you are not enjoying yourself in your current job, then there is nothing wrong with starting to do what you love. You made this site amazing, so you can definitely do well on other places.
post #4 of 26 Old 05-04-2011, 04:03 PM
Bully Proof

Garage
There's nothing better in life than being your own boss. My life has been so much better since I went out on my own 18 years ago...not that it hasn't had its challenges.

Job security, health insurance and other benefits are great...especially if you're planning to have a family. But nothing can be worse than working at a job you dislike/hate. It weighs on your mind and takes the joy out of everything else in life.

So I say...go for it Tim!
You did it once and you can do it again.
post #5 of 26 Old 05-04-2011, 04:05 PM

Garage
I'm probably not the one to give advice on this subject . I was at the same job for 40 years minus 2 years in the Army.But I say go do something you love.I wish many a day I'd done that.

2011 2SS/RS , summit white with IOM stripes .Flowmaster American Thunder catback exhaust.
post #6 of 26 Old 05-04-2011, 04:07 PM
Banned

Both? It would be rough for a little while, but if you can get the self-employment to a place you feel secure, you can give up the library later.
post #7 of 26 Old 05-04-2011, 04:12 PM

I'm in the Marine Corps and when I first thought about joining I was really nervous and not sure what to do. I was accepted to a good college for a legit major and everybody told me to do college but the more I thought about it the more fun the Marine Corps seemed. So long story short I choose the path where I would have fun working because honestly if your having fun working is it really working? And now I'm on my second enlistment. So I think you should do what you love and have a job that you look forward to going to everyday. But that's just me.
post #8 of 26 Old 05-04-2011, 04:18 PM
Veteran Member

I agree with the general vote... do what you love!
post #9 of 26 Old 05-04-2011, 04:25 PM

1. Be happy.
2. Provide for your family; by provide I mean make sure you have enough for the kid's college! :lol
3. Sometimes there is a trade-off of being happy and making enough money.
4. Money does not always come after you are happy.
5. Don't base you decision on one person or a group of people you work with.

2005 CTSV BLACK LS7 Clutch/Flywheel/Slave, Tick Speed Bleeder, Tilton Clutch MC, RevShift Bushings, Domestic V8 Solutions (shifter, 8.8 Diff conversion, srut tower braces, sub-frame connectors), SLP cats, no cags, xpipe, bullet mufflers, Volante, iPod dock, G-force tune; 379hp 381tq.

Killing 5th gens like it is my job.
post #10 of 26 Old 05-04-2011, 04:28 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
Examine all aspects first, then talk with your better half and close family. If your wife and family are honest with you they will support you with what ever you choose to go with. Is the OLD job really that bad, or is it you dont agree with then new directors views. Do have a good working relationship with the new driector, or is that person just being a pain.

If your going to start a family, then make sure you have the basics secured first, house health ins, income to be secure. Unless your a go with your seat of your pants person. Just my OP.. I have changed jobs 7 times since retiring in 2000, in my case each time for the better, more $$ but also more responsibiliy, I say that because I understand the uncertanity with starting out in and new enviroment. What ever you do rest assured you will have our support. I wish you the very best with what ever you choose...

2013 LT2/RS, Crystal Red Metallic, TAZ Jr.
2016 H-D Ultra Classic, Black Fire Purple, (PPE)
2015 H-D Street Glide, Superior Blue. (Old Blue) Traded
2012 Big Horn, RAM, Crew Cab, SLT, Dark Cherry Red Pearl (Betty Boop)
1998 Honda Accord 2d, daily driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page