F'n dealers - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 05-21-2011, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Banned

F'n dealers

So I go to the dealer yesterday and I bring up my concern about the car not having cats. A guy, whom is supposedly the manager, and this is the first time I've ever seen him says "They told you about the modifications." To which I said, "No they didn't. I saw that it had a CAI, Headers, and obviously new mufflers, though I didn't look." And he says "I'm sure they told you about the cat-back exhaust."

Precisely, I tell him. CAT BACK indicates there are still cats there. He kept trying to talk it off and I told him "Look, it's a FEDERAL requirement that the car have cats. You sold me an illegal car. I DID NOT sign anything that said this car was for offroad use only. I made it clear I would be driving the car daily to and from work 1,000 miles a week. I don't care how you want to handle it, and you can think about it and call me next week, but something needs to be done."

We discussed that the car would need cats, the rear o2s and it needs to be retuned since the tune obviously took away the need for the rear o2s since there aren't any CELs.

He didn't realize he was talking to someone who knew what he was talking about. Some of you think it's not a big deal, but the first car I ever bought from a dealer, a 1978 Camaro, did not have cats, and I got busted for it and the dealership refused to cover it. They did once I called my attorney friend...but I REALLY don't want to go that far.
post #2 of 23 Old 05-21-2011, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devryn View Post
So I go to the dealer yesterday and I bring up my concern about the car not having cats. A guy, whom is supposedly the manager, and this is the first time I've ever seen him says "They told you about the modifications." To which I said, "No they didn't. I saw that it had a CAI, Headers, and obviously new mufflers, though I didn't look." And he says "I'm sure they told you about the cat-back exhaust."

Precisely, I tell him. CAT BACK indicates there are still cats there. He kept trying to talk it off and I told him "Look, it's a FEDERAL requirement that the car have cats. You sold me an illegal car. I DID NOT sign anything that said this car was for offroad use only. I made it clear I would be driving the car daily to and from work 1,000 miles a week. I don't care how you want to handle it, and you can think about it and call me next week, but something needs to be done."

We discussed that the car would need cats, the rear o2s and it needs to be retuned since the tune obviously took away the need for the rear o2s since there aren't any CELs.

He didn't realize he was talking to someone who knew what he was talking about. Some of you think it's not a big deal, but the first car I ever bought from a dealer, a 1978 Camaro, did not have cats, and I got busted for it and the dealership refused to cover it. They did once I called my attorney friend...but I REALLY don't want to go that far.
I dont know about Arizona but in Texas I dont think that car could have been
sold in Texas without cats.
Don't get me wrong folks remove them all the time around here however its a law to have them.

I could be wrong.

sounds like you have a situation.

wow yall have to put cats on a 78 camaro ? Anything 25 year or older is exempt from cats here in Texas. And thats with Texas air check.
post #3 of 23 Old 05-21-2011, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member

What are your concerns? do you want them to put in cats or are you worried about inspections and/or warranty? If you want to bust their balls you have a point...since it has headers, then it was tuned (which voids warranty). Try and have them promise in writing that you will not run into warranty problems if something breaks.

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.
post #4 of 23 Old 05-21-2011, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll-N-Hyde View Post
I dont know about Arizona but in Texas I dont think that car could have been
sold in Texas without cats.
Don't get me wrong folks remove them all the time around here however its a law to have them.

I could be wrong.

sounds like you have a situation.

wow yall have to put cats on a 78 camaro ? Anything 25 year or older is exempt from cats here in Texas. And thats with Texas air check.
I'm guessing he means back in the olden days.
Not many dealers still carry 78 camaros.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster.
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #5 of 23 Old 05-21-2011, 12:00 PM

Ditto with POWERFREAK's question.....are you in a state that inspects and that is the concern? Otherwise your going to need a retune to have it run optimized with the other mods. If they flash it back to stock your not going to be happy with the way it runs.....especially since the cats will hinder the performance slightly and the tune it has now I suspect was with the mods as is. Just curious.
post #6 of 23 Old 05-21-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll-N-Hyde View Post
Close but not quite. Anything 1984 or newer requires cats in Texas.

post #7 of 23 Old 05-21-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luwinkle View Post
I'm guessing he means back in the olden days.
Not many dealers still carry 78 camaros.
Oddly enough, I do know of one in South Jersey. It isn't in great condition but he's trying to offload it for a hefty sum.

You have been banned for the following reason:
You have not shown yourself to have reformed from your previous ban, and continue to create secondary accounts. If you continue, we will prosecute using DMCA anti-hacking laws.

Date the ban will be lifted: Never
post #8 of 23 Old 05-21-2011, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I'm not really worried about it. In the end, I'll win. I just hate snakes.
post #9 of 23 Old 05-21-2011, 01:12 PM
Supporter of common sense

Quote:

Joe :: Over Anxious 67 Camaro RS/SS L78
5thgenblog.com // Michigan Classics
Chevrolet Camaro in Transformers // My ebaY auctions

Hot Rod Search Google searches for gearheads!
post #10 of 23 Old 05-21-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
It's a good thing you know your **** when it comes to cars, Dev, otherwise you'd be the one getting smoked by a rat.

You have been banned for the following reason:
You have not shown yourself to have reformed from your previous ban, and continue to create secondary accounts. If you continue, we will prosecute using DMCA anti-hacking laws.

Date the ban will be lifted: Never
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page