Monte Carlo Mods, Start Now. - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 06-08-2011, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Monte Carlo Mods, Start Now.

Alright guys, things are back to normal and I can start modding the Monte Carlo.

I don't see the point in signing up for a specific car forum since I'm only doing minor bolt-ons and I'm sure you guys are quite aware of this car mechanically, Chevy 350 4bbl.

Now I've been out of the car game for about 2-3 years and I'm pretty lost, any knowledge i did have was about the 305 since that's what I had at the time, I'm new to both the 350 and carbs.

Mechanically the car is sound and my friend/mechanic gave me the greenlight to start buying parts. I've never actually had a car completely stock car before, so I'm not sure where to start. I do not have to pay for labor since him and me are doing it together...the car work that is....ewww.

I figured an exhaust is what most people go with first? I'm not sure what headers, size midpipes and mufflers to go with? I was always told 3" mids are fine for 350s but too big for 305s, so is 3" adequate? I do not have cats on the car ('74) and the car has "true" duals.

I want a loud car plain and simple, I want some serious bark for something that will lack some bite fore awhile...

Sadly (and pathetically) my computer is so fried I have a hardtime playing youtube vids so I haven't done much sound comparisons.

Any input is appreciated...because without...my car stays lame...
post #2 of 7 Old 06-08-2011, 12:19 PM

The 305 and the 350 are the same motor, just different cylinder bore; short-block anyways.

If you like flowmasters on the 3rd gens then you will love them on your Monte.

2.5" is fine for right now as the 350 is only putting out about 150-160hp.

Are you for certain it is a 350 and not a 400? Pros and cons to both.

How much do you want or can you spend right now?

Anyways, a full 2.5" dual system with 2 2chamber flowmasters sounded SWEET on my brothers Chevelle and my bbc Suburban. Actually you COULD go with 1 chambers, but I wouldn't, but they are loud!

Until you double your power output, I don't even think upgrading your pipes is needed, unless they are 1 7/8"

Next would be an intake, and I mean the metal one, as in the golden days an intake was metal and the "cai" of these days was known as an "air filter".

You can get a "chrome" one with a bigger filter, but that is not necessary either.

Edelbrock make a very nice Performer RPM intake that responds real well to MANY upgrades.

As you continue, you can either get their cam/intake/carb combination package or buy each seperately as time and money permit.

Header is also a good idea as you can remove those heavy ass manifolds and replace them with some inexpensive NICE long tube headers for under $200. These will adapt to your current exhaust fairly easy and inexpensively.

Get a Summit catalog and anything that will fit on a Camaro, Nova, Chevelle or their cousins will fit on a Monte Carlo; actually the Monte Carlo is a Chevelle/Malibu variant.

Rockauto is a good site as you can see SOME diagrams of stuff.

2005 CTSV BLACK LS7 Clutch/Flywheel/Slave, Tick Speed Bleeder, Tilton Clutch MC, RevShift Bushings, Domestic V8 Solutions (shifter, 8.8 Diff conversion, srut tower braces, sub-frame connectors), SLP cats, no cags, xpipe, bullet mufflers, Volante, iPod dock, G-force tune; 379hp 381tq.

Killing 5th gens like it is my job.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-08-2011, 12:23 PM

OK, so after looking you probably have 2 1/4" exhaust....all new 2.5" is more money, so you could go with some similar sized glass packs that will get you better sound for now and some headers and you would be set.

If you ever decided to go with the Edelbrock package, the you could have a whole 2.5" or 3" system bent up at a shop with some better mufflers and you would not have to buy the more expensive mufflers twice.

Also, if you do turn downs right after the mufflers, looks like they are placed as far back as possible before the rear-end, you will get a nice echo off the ground which make your car sound a little deeper.....

2005 CTSV BLACK LS7 Clutch/Flywheel/Slave, Tick Speed Bleeder, Tilton Clutch MC, RevShift Bushings, Domestic V8 Solutions (shifter, 8.8 Diff conversion, srut tower braces, sub-frame connectors), SLP cats, no cags, xpipe, bullet mufflers, Volante, iPod dock, G-force tune; 379hp 381tq.

post #4 of 7 Old 06-08-2011, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

I had flowmasters on my 305 z28 and they sounded good, but the car also had headers, and 3 inch piping, my 355 GTA had magnaflows and I didn't like it as much. I think the GTA has 2.5 piping however.

I'm certain the car is a 350, is there another way to tell?

I have exactly $500 to spend right now, and my budget is roughly $400-500 a month. (this is after savings and bills, so I have no problem spending the money)

In my mind, I would really like to get the entire exhaust out of the way and have it setup for more power in the future, I don't know any realistic powergoals for this 350, but I'd like to get as close to 300hp as possible...but I'm really just pulling that out of my arse because I don't know that much. The car does weigh 3900-4000 pounds...
post #5 of 7 Old 06-09-2011, 10:20 AM

Well, besides running the block number, the 400s are internally balanced so they have a thinner harmonic balancer.

OK, well then I would buy the full exhaust as you can afford it. Headers, 2.5" systems with flows if that is what you are going with.

Then, buy the cam, intake, carb, etc. It will probably take you about 4 months to get all of that stuff.

Then install it at the same time.

You may need to upgrade your ignition as well. GOOD plugs, wires, and then a MSD type ignition box and coil. That's another month worth of spending.

Then, get gears if you don't have AT LEAST 3.42s. I would go to 3.73s. Another month of savings.

I would also look at get a B&M shift kit/track pak for the tranny and maybe a few upgrades like an adjustable modulator and a deep tranny pan to hold more fluid. Change your filter and fluid at this time.

Be sure to replace your universal joints when you do your rear end.

I would save up for all new vacuum hose, heater hoses and belts when you do the cam swap and maybe look at getting rid of some of the redundancy under the hood with the emissions.

It will be a FUN car at this point.

I am sure I have missed a few things, and these changes are not in order.

I always try to build a solid platform of the weak links, so when I do double the hp, things don't start breaking on me.

I am not sure if it is a full frame car, but sub-frame connectors would be a must and if it has a trailing arm rear suspension, and if you have access to a welder, you can weld the stamped steel c-channel trailing arms shut with some T-iron instead of spending ALOT of money on BILLET Control arms. They won't be adjustable, but they will get your suspension working better and improve traction.

post #6 of 7 Old 06-10-2011, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

i appreciate the help, i will look more carefully at this tomorrow when i'm "straight" but for now...thanks 54

you guys will practically build this car, i don't know enough to go on my own... :/
post #7 of 7 Old 06-10-2011, 09:28 AM

Carb **** gets me REAL excited, because you can drop a few thousand and see VAST improvements!

Making me want a project like this!

Anytime, I love to help with stuff like this. I am really shocked no one else has chimed in, especially the few know it alls around here.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page