Thoughts about a first car - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 06-26-2011, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Thoughts about a first car

Ive been looking at 81-88 monte carlos and maybe a newer camaro like 2000-02 also i just found a 1973 pontiac ventura. Are they any major problems with any of these that somebody would know of?

https://www.moderncamaro.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic5558_1.gif
my dads car. I just fill him in on all the cool stuff on moderncamaro!!
post #2 of 28 Old 06-27-2011, 06:09 AM
Supporter of common sense

81-88 Monte Carlos are still nice looking cars, I've had a few myself, still love the lines

Look for an SS, my favorite are the 83-84 in blue Biggest problem would be rot, but being in Florida, not as much a problem as up here in the 'rust-belt'.

1973 Ventura falls under the 1971-77 body if I remember correctly. Those X body GM cars (Nova, Omega, Skylark, etc) were the same underneath, but the Nova was the most common. If you like the 73 Ventura, consider a 1973 GTO or clone. While the 'muscle car' era didn't end well on a performance note, they still look cool

Another obscure car that I like it the 1986 Pontiac 2+2 (sister to the Monte Carlo SS Aero Coupe). While hideous looking, Pontiac dealers had a hard time giving them away, but I'd like to have one now

Joe :: Over Anxious 67 Camaro RS/SS L78
5thgenblog.com // Michigan Classics
Chevrolet Camaro in Transformers // My ebaY auctions

Hot Rod Search Google searches for gearheads!
post #3 of 28 Old 06-27-2011, 06:39 AM
Veteran Member

If I could find a clean 87 Buick Grand National I'd be all over it! You say you like the Monty so that's why I said this.

2010 Camaro 2 SS/RS ZEX Wet Shot, Typhoon 63 series CAI, DR Formato Tuned
JULY 2013 M.O.M winner!

post #4 of 28 Old 06-27-2011, 06:56 AM
Veteran Member

I had a bunch of Montes check the lower side of the doors its very rare at least in NY to find one with out rotted out inner doors, others problems the electric 4 bbl is a terd in some of the years and they are enemic power wise , also they are older now and tough to find in good shape Id go with a 2000 Camaro SS, you get an ls powered car plenty of power and much more modern tech, They are fast cars as well.
as for the 73 thats a cool car but its old youll run into issues just like any old car

just my .2 good luck

the 2000 WS6 Trans Ams are awesome as well

post #5 of 28 Old 06-27-2011, 07:57 AM
Veteran Member

the ventura's are cool...you don't see too many of them. I had a bunch of nova's which are the same. The big trouble spots on them were the front floor pans (check for rot), the sub frame (check for rot near where it mounts to the body), and of course the fenders and quarter panels all rotted out at some point. BUT, maybe since you are in florida, you can luck out and find a solid one.

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.
post #6 of 28 Old 07-12-2011, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info and thoughts. Right now im just looking to see whats there but hopefully around September i can convince my dad to buy me a car

post #7 of 28 Old 07-13-2011, 06:21 AM
Veteran Member

go for a camaro! v6 or v8? my first car at 16 was a new 99 camaro v6. i loved it! wish it was the z28, but i was only 16. i had the t tops, auto, power everything. just a fun car. never had too many problems with it. kept blowing speakers because of my subs. but that was pretty much the only problem.

Brixton Forged
CM10 Wheels IN STOCK!!! RF7 SOON!!!!
Camaro/M3/M4 wheels in stock High Gloss Titanium
post #8 of 28 Old 07-13-2011, 09:32 AM
Support MC & Troops

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAnxious View Post
81-88 Monte Carlos are still nice looking cars, I've had a few myself, still love the lines

Look for an SS, my favorite are the 83-84 in blue Biggest problem would be rot, but being in Florida, not as much a problem as up here in the 'rust-belt'.

1973 Ventura falls under the 1971-77 body if I remember correctly. Those X body GM cars (Nova, Omega, Skylark, etc) were the same underneath, but the Nova was the most common. If you like the 73 Ventura, consider a 1973 GTO or clone. While the 'muscle car' era didn't end well on a performance note, they still look cool

Another obscure car that I like it the 1986 Pontiac 2+2 (sister to the Monte Carlo SS Aero Coupe). While hideous looking, Pontiac dealers had a hard time giving them away, but I'd like to have one now

+1
A ventura can easily be converted to a clone GTO w/ a 400 (6X Heads)
ya will get a ton of power, its got a very strong frame too

Ha ha.. I forgot a bought those Pontiac 2+2 until week ago & seen one on Mecum Actions

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Getting way pumped up ..LOL(Never giving up !)

The all new Convertible (Born 1/11/11) !, Welcome to the Fleet !
SHADOW 2013 GBA 2SS/RS A6 Vert (2/13/14)
"FROST 2011 SIM LT1 A6 " FIRST VERT MOTM AUGUST 2013
*PROTESTING GM*
"GIVE ME MY13'IBM ZL1 vert GM!"
post #9 of 28 Old 07-13-2011, 10:05 AM
Supporter of common sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by flame19123 View Post
Thanks for all the info and thoughts. Right now im just looking to see whats there but hopefully around September i can convince my dad to buy me a car
Buy you a car? I'd buy my own car. Always have. Just my $.02

Joe :: Over Anxious 67 Camaro RS/SS L78
5thgenblog.com // Michigan Classics
Chevrolet Camaro in Transformers // My ebaY auctions

Hot Rod Search Google searches for gearheads!
post #10 of 28 Old 07-13-2011, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

I am saving pretty much all my paychecks over the summer to pay for the car but it wouldnt be enough to pay for all of it. Ive never seen a pontiac 2+2 either lol looks pretty good too

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page