Need advice from Musician's/guitar players. - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 62 Old 06-27-2011, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Need advice from Musician's/guitar players.

First, I took classical piano lessons 30 years ago; violin/fiddle lessons 15 years ago. I was pretty good.....but I have not played in many many years.....

I want to play guitar.

I have been told to pick up an acoustic first to learn the basics.

I REALLY want to learn to play.

I am very open to all advice that have experience.

2005 CTSV BLACK LS7 Clutch/Flywheel/Slave, Tick Speed Bleeder, Tilton Clutch MC, RevShift Bushings, Domestic V8 Solutions (shifter, 8.8 Diff conversion, srut tower braces, sub-frame connectors), SLP cats, no cags, xpipe, bullet mufflers, Volante, iPod dock, G-force tune; 379hp 381tq.

Killing 5th gens like it is my job.
post #2 of 62 Old 06-27-2011, 08:54 PM
Admin/ChevyBlazerRep

Garage
I learned on Acoustic and i still play on it... My advice is get professional lessons it really helped me out alot

June 2015 MOTM

"I live my life a quarter mile at a time, For those ten seconds or less, I'm free.
post #3 of 62 Old 06-27-2011, 10:19 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah I got an acoustic and learned from a lesson place called the Lesson Factory. Without it I wouldnt play guitar now
post #4 of 62 Old 06-27-2011, 10:44 PM
Veteran Member

Acoustic has the benefit of not needing an amp..but electrics have the benefit of being easier to play (tighter string spacing, less effort to hold down strings, etc.)...and you don't technically NEED an amp on an electric to play..you just won't get much sound out of it.

First bit of advice I can give..stay away from Squier as you would a carrier of the plague.

Couple of places that have the best deals on instruments and equipment:
www.musiciansfriend.com
www.guitarcenter.com

Though if you can find a decently priced local place I'd buy from there..you may pay a bit more but they'll be far more helpful than a online store will ever be(and you might even be able to talk them into throwing in a free setup to get your business..)..I know from experience.

There's an awesome local place that has the same price as online stores..but I didn't want to pay the sales tax. If I bought from there to begin with I wouldn't have gone through 2 other guitars before I found a good one.

Also if you're good at self-teaching things the "Guitar for Dummies" is actually a really, really good book..and includes a CD with songs to play along to.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster.
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Last edited by Luwinkle; 06-27-2011 at 10:49 PM.
post #5 of 62 Old 06-27-2011, 10:55 PM
Veteran Member

I believe it really comes down to what you want to play. If you have interest in playing acoustic then by all means get one. If you really have no desire to play acoustic then get a electric and perhaps a small, cheap practice amp for the time being.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quote:
A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster.
post #6 of 62 Old 06-27-2011, 10:57 PM
Veteran Member

Though if you're looking for acoustics Fender has some pretty dang good low-priced ones. I know 2 guys with Fender acoustic-electrics (acoustics with pre-amps and piezo pickups) that ran around $300 each and they sound great. Not as good as a friend's $2500 taylor...but surprisingly good for the price point.

Also..it might help if you told us your price limit.

Quote:
post #7 of 62 Old 06-28-2011, 04:07 AM

well....i started on an electric at 9 years old...a squire...still have it...wasn't until my 3rd i got an acoustic....Note: Acoustic will build finger strength faster; but Electric will probably keep one's attention more due to the fun you can have with them....if your looking for quality for bang for the buck in the acoustic world....look into Ibanez Exotic wood series....i work for ibanez and the exotic line is phenomenal for the price....personally for electrics im a gretsch man but they are really high in price...it really depends on what you wanna play...im in dire need of a sweet tele though, they always sound great

2011 Chevy Camaro 2LT/RS Convertible Auto, CGM
2010 Chevy Camaro 1LT 3.6L Manual [Production #115] Black with cyber grey stripes (http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3370622) Traded 12/10/11
August 2011 MotM
-"Team LLT" representative
South Jersey Camaro Club member
post #8 of 62 Old 06-28-2011, 08:28 AM

I started playing a few years ago, started with an electric (epiphone les paul, that I still have, but with better pickups). I eventually got an acoustic, but I still tend to play the electric more.

To be honest pick the guitar that best suits the music you want to play. I like metal and rock, so I got the electric and learned "Smoke on the Water" and "Iron Man", then the intro to "Enter Sandman" and "Higher", and away I went. If you're not playing the music you want then you're not going to keep playing. I didn't get any lessons, I had a friend show me how to read tabs and went from there, but I've always been a self learner. If you do get lessons, find someone who is willing to teach you stuff tailored to what you want to play. Their are good instruction videos for techniques and song on the internet as well.

2011 Synergy Green Metallic 1SS Camaro:
RS Package, White Ralley Stripes, Premium Sound.
Mods; Flowmaster Exhaust, Vararam CAI, Pfadt Sport Suspension, Budnik "Ice" Wheels, Nitto Invo tires
Upcoming Mods; Custom grill and badging.
post #9 of 62 Old 06-28-2011, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member

check craigslist...lots of people buy guitars and dont stick with lessons, so there's always used guitars on craigslist, cheap.

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.
post #10 of 62 Old 06-28-2011, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the advice guys!

Here's the deal, I like everything, but I am more interested in playing metal/rock of all kinds.

I was told by a good friend that has been playing for about 15 years, that I would be better off getting an acoustic to learn the basics and technique and it would make me a better guitar player. He has also been in a few locally successful bands in Houston, so I really trust his opinion, but I also really trust some of your opinions as well.

I prefer to this as I am a perfectionists.

I know what y'all mean about an electric guitar and I will eventually get one, no doubt.

I am self taught in so many areas, that I may try out the guitar for dummies.

I also want to learn with my son as I think it would be awesome.

My bud thinks I will have no issue playing guitar as they thought violin was harder. Who knows.

I am about to sell all my Rockband/Guitar hero stuff and use that money to start a fund for an acoustic guitar, I think.

I just know absolutely nothing about them and their price points, so I have no idea.

MY thought; the best bang for my buck regardless if that buck is $100 or $1000.

Thanks again for your input and keep with it as my ears are open and my mouth is shut.

2005 CTSV BLACK LS7 Clutch/Flywheel/Slave, Tick Speed Bleeder, Tilton Clutch MC, RevShift Bushings, Domestic V8 Solutions (shifter, 8.8 Diff conversion, srut tower braces, sub-frame connectors), SLP cats, no cags, xpipe, bullet mufflers, Volante, iPod dock, G-force tune; 379hp 381tq.

Killing 5th gens like it is my job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page