Disappointing Paint Job! - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 07-04-2011, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Disappointing Paint Job!

A few weeks ago I was rear-ended on my way to BBOMG with the end result being they had to replace the rear bumper cover among other things.

Fast forward to today...I decided to swing by the dealer where my car is and it is sitting outside with everything done so I stop to look at it and without even getting out of my car, me and my wife immediately notice the orange peel all over the back bumper. Upon closer inspection, I see dirt in the clear coat as well.

I stop in to talk to the body shop guy and he said the car is done a ready for clean up. I asked him about the orange peel and his reply was "...and its not a factory paint job now!" He then goes on to say that its difficult to get an orange peel free paint job outside the factory. Ummm, I have seen plenty of after market, orange peel free, paint jobs.

I have yet to talk to the body shop manager but at this point I am not going to accept the paint job as it is.

I knew I shouldnt have taken it to a dealer for the repairs!

2011 IOM 2SS/RS
post #2 of 26 Old 07-04-2011, 01:48 PM
Veteran Member

I hate to point this out, but are you willing to pay for the hours of hand labor it will take to get rid of that orange peel and have a dirt free clear coat?

Paint booths in the factory are nearly hermetically sealed and are almost static free. They have environmental control systems in them that are almost what you find inside a nuclear submarine. The paint is applied by robots and is negatively charged and the car is positively charged so they don't have to hand work the finish to get out orange peel.

I've yet to see a paint booth in a dealership or aftermarket shop that is that advanced. They simply can't afford to have that clean of a setup for paint when they are only painting a small car part or a single car in a month. Hence the hours of wet-sanding by hand to smooth out the peel, then more hours of work by hand to lay and clean up the clear coat.

Project: 89 RS => AX/RR
post #3 of 26 Old 07-04-2011, 01:55 PM

Sorry about your problems. And you're absolutly right not to accept the paint job as it is. I had to have my entire car repainted after an accident. I was lucky to find a place (definitely not the dealer!) where they love cars as much as I do and took pride in their work. The result is not equal to factory, it's far superior to the original. So your paint guys statements are complete If there's a car club near you, get some recommendations from them. Good luck and keep us posted.

BTW, you can get an idea of the quality of the paint job by looking at the August car in the ModernCamaro.com calendar for 2011 ... you can view the calendar pages by checking in the ModernCamaro.com Store.

Last edited by r0cketdr; 07-04-2011 at 02:03 PM. Reason: added last sentence
post #4 of 26 Old 07-04-2011, 01:58 PM

Never, ever have your car painted at a dealership..........NEVER!
post #5 of 26 Old 07-04-2011, 02:37 PM
Camaro Focus Group Member

depending on how bad the trash in the paint and orange peel are, those can be completely corrected with wetsanding/polishing. if they can do a good job on that, your paint will end up looking smooth as glass and totally awesome... just make sure they have someone who knows what they are doing. an inexperienced person can ruin your paint. we have painted a few of our cars and brought orange peel to a mirror finish. don't stress just yet good luck

"All alone in my funeral home, playing in blood, there's just got to be something wrong with me" -Slayer-
post #6 of 26 Old 07-04-2011, 05:25 PM
Bully Proof

Garage
Like you...I made the mistake of choosing my dealership to paint my hood, deck lid, spoiler and other miscellaneous parts...and like you...my dealership fell far short of my expectations. Since I paid for my paint job in advance...I had nothing to hold over them to get satisfaction and eventually walked away disappointed. But the dealership's General Manager (not the P&B manager) did do the right thing and refunded all of the money I spent at their paint and body shop. So now I have my car at a paint shop that specializes in show cars and I'm hoping for a much better outcome.

Looking at pictures is certainly no way to judge a good paint job. Just look at my car in the 2011 calender...the picture looks great but the paint job sucks. After 9 months the paint on the hood began to crack in various spots and last month the dealership paint started bubbling up and peeling off my roof ditch moldings.
post #7 of 26 Old 07-04-2011, 05:39 PM
Veteran Member

I had to have some parts of my G5 repainted because of paint defects (bubbling up). The one time I'm glad it's black..because it looks pretty much exactly the same as factory(hard to mess up black). The clearcoat on the top part of the passenger door isn't 100% perfect..but you have to be staring up right at it to notice anything.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster.
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #8 of 26 Old 07-04-2011, 05:52 PM

Basic consumerism, if you pay for a service and are not happy do not pay. Sorry to hear something bad has happened to your baby. I for one have started to feel what a new parent feels like as I am so protective of my first ever new car.

2011 2SS CGM/IO Convertible - MySSt
post #9 of 26 Old 07-04-2011, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

UPDATE...went over a took a closer look at the car and orange peel it the least of my worries.

1. Looks like a paint brush bristle in the paint next to the brake light.
2. Plenty of dirt in the paint...not the clear.
3. Body lines where the cover meets the quarter panel has a bigger gap on one side than the other.
4. Inconsistent coverage in a small area.
5. Big glob of paint in one corner.
6. Missing paint in another corner.

I can hardly wait to go see them tomorrow.

I cant believe that a shop would even consider letting this sort of work go out the door!

2011 IOM 2SS/RS
post #10 of 26 Old 07-04-2011, 09:08 PM
www.camaroscotty.com

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIXX A.M. View Post
Never, ever have your car painted at a dealership..........NEVER!
I disagree - We painted an IOM front clip, and it was better matched than the factory one that was on it, with no issues.

The other thing is, it is a dealership, they report to Chevrolet....
Make it clear you want it redone - if they don't comply, call the 800 Chevy customer service line and file a complaint.

http://www.camaroscotty.com
YAHOO IM:
CamaroScotty / FACEBOOK: Camaro Scotty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page