Some thoughts on the 2011 silverado - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 Old 07-16-2011, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Some thoughts on the 2011 silverado

So I made the dealership put cats on my car and they loaned me a 2011 Silverado LT w/ 5.3 and a 6 sp auto. I hate big trucks but especially hate poor design that is supposed to be innovative. This one has that automatic displacement tech which is USELESS. I drive 180 miles round trip almost all interstate and the truck never went into 4 cyl mode. In town it would if I set the cruise at 45 or so but no other time. I can't figure out why, at a stop light, in normal driving it wouldn't just shift to 4 cyl mode until you hit the accelerator, which is electronically controlled anyway. I never saw better than 16 mpgs in the three tanks I put through it. That's 1 mpg less than our 04 ram hemi quadcab gave us on hwy trips. Also this thing is absolutely gutless.
post #2 of 43 Old 07-16-2011, 12:25 PM
Premium Member

Garage
So you hate big trucks. No, it's not fast. I have a 2002 4.8L Silverado ext cab 4x4. It's got >230,000 miles on it, and no, it's not fast, but t looks like it'll last forever. I get 16-18MPG highway, and about 16MPG city. It'll haul anything I put init or tow with it. It's a 3 ton truck. It's going to use some extra gas.

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
Click the pic.. I don't tolerate fools.
post #3 of 43 Old 07-16-2011, 12:37 PM
Supporter of common sense

I've spent quite a bit of time with my fathers 2010 Silverado LT ECSB. Love how it drives, the power, interior. The exterior still sucks to me

I'll probably have my 2000 Sierra SLT 5.3l forever, with 236K on the clock i'm well on my way

Joe :: Over Anxious 67 Camaro RS/SS L78
5thgenblog.com // Michigan Classics
Chevrolet Camaro in Transformers // My ebaY auctions

Hot Rod Search Google searches for gearheads!
post #4 of 43 Old 07-16-2011, 01:13 PM
Veteran Member

So this is just a *****post? Got it.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster.
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #5 of 43 Old 07-16-2011, 02:35 PM
Supporting Super Moderator

I have a 2009 ext cab LT Silverado 5.3. With stabili trac and trac control on with the 20" wheels that big mofo handles well. I freakin drive it like a nut. Love the interior way better than ford and dodge. Unfortunately with the stock tune out the hole torq mgmt kills power to the ground, but imagine if all were 100% unlocked from the factory how many would be wrapped around trees/poles. Hell most can't handle the 4banger pos. I've given much thought about getting it tuned, but decided its gonna stay stock. I don't feel like replacing rear tires every year.

2010 Camaro RS SS LS3 (Bumble Bee) Vin#192 & 8 others made by GM and one Christine
post #6 of 43 Old 07-16-2011, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member

If you want a real dog go drive a 5.4L F-150. In the words of a contractor we had at our house who was driving a brand new Silverado (who used to drive a F-150), "They couldn't get out of their own way."

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quote:
A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster.
post #7 of 43 Old 07-16-2011, 02:50 PM
Supporting Super Moderator

Just got a f-250 yesterday (co car, GM hasn't had our contract since 93) It doesn't ride as good as gmts. It does seem to have good power which is much better than the v6 explorer I had. I had a f250 before the explorer and this 2011 f250 does the same thing with handeling rough surfaces. They seem to not track straight and sort of bounce over. I've taken the same road with my silverado and it always tracks straight.

2010 Camaro RS SS LS3 (Bumble Bee) Vin#192 & 8 others made by GM and one Christine
post #8 of 43 Old 07-16-2011, 02:57 PM
Premium Member

Garage
A Silverado will wake up pretty good with just an intake, exhaust and a tune. I put a cold air intake, Gibson exhaust, and a tune on mine. Now I can drive up over South Mountain in MD. in overdrive at 70+MPH.

Not bad for a 9 year old 6300lb truck!

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
Click the pic.. I don't tolerate fools.
post #9 of 43 Old 07-16-2011, 02:57 PM
Veteran Member

We have a friend of the family with a 07 F-250 (right before they became ass ugly) and it rides decently. The power is just "ok" since it only has like 300HP and weighs a LOT.

Quote:
post #10 of 43 Old 07-16-2011, 03:00 PM
Camaro Focus Group Member

devryn, not sure what was wrong with your truck. our 09 Silverado goes into 4 cyl mode a lot. whenever i tool around town in it, it's in 4 cyl mode if i maintain a contsant speed (alot of 35mph). and on the hwy, as long as you are on flat ground without a crazy headwind (and not towing), it pretty much stays in 4 cyl mode too. as soon as you accelerate or go up a hill it goes back to 8 mode, but without the DIC telling me what mode it's in, i would never know cuz you can't feel it. i like it.

"All alone in my funeral home, playing in blood, there's just got to be something wrong with me" -Slayer-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page