Can a Car Be Teen-Proof? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 08-10-2011, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Garage
Post Can a Car Be Teen-Proof?

Some drive 100 miles per hour, take corners way too fast and brake aggressively.

No, we’re not talking about NASCAR drivers. Many teen drivers are too young and optimistic to think about petty annoyances like speed limit signs. Others tweet and text their friends while driving.

Despite stern lectures from parents, the problem is not going away. A new study by Liberty Mutual Insurance and Students Against Destructive Decisions (SADD) found that almost 3 out of 4 teen drivers, or 68%, had narrowly avoided an accident in the past year. According to the Department of Transportation, three people die per day because they are texting while driving.

Now, several automakers are developing “teen-proofing” features that help parents track the location of the car, warn them when they enter danger zones and even set in-car speed limits.

Read more: Can a Car Be Teen-Proof? - FoxNews.com

Buzz
2010 Synergy Green 1LT

post #2 of 23 Old 08-10-2011, 02:19 PM

Wow, I'm sure gald they didnt have teen proof cars in the 90's....let see, my parents would have seen me running 11 second 1/4 miles with my every day car, beer in the trunk and back seat, and my buddies smoking some hooch in the back seat...Let kids be kids, we all did it, we all drove like a bunch of a$$holes, some of us still do...and we didnt have texting and cell phones or internet...lucky for that or we would of all been locked up!

Rodney Updegrave
2011 Chrysler 300C, 1954 Cadillac Coupe De Ville,1949 Pontiac Woodie Wagon,1972 VW Beetle Roadster, 2004 Baja 25 Outlaw
www.fquick.com/rodster56

post #3 of 23 Old 08-10-2011, 02:19 PM
Supporting Super Moderator

I doubt a car will ever be teen proof until they are completley automated.
People/Kids find ways around things.

1998 Camaro A4 7.06 @ 96.5 MPH NA 1.47 best 60ft
2010 Camaro Tube Chassis work in progress
post #4 of 23 Old 08-10-2011, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Garage
Take out the battery and tires. There might be a chance then.

Buzz
2010 Synergy Green 1LT

post #5 of 23 Old 08-10-2011, 02:27 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodster56 View Post
Wow, I'm sure gald they didnt have teen proof cars in the 90's....let see, my parents would have seen me running 11 second 1/4 miles with my every day car, beer in the trunk and back seat, and my buddies smoking some hooch in the back seat...Let kids be kids, we all did it, we all drove like a bunch of a$$holes, some of us still do...and we didnt have texting and cell phones or internet...lucky for that or we would of all been locked up!
Well the Biggest Part of the Problem is CELL Phones!!!! I'm a MSF instructor and Way Too OFTEN something Happens because someone is Too D^%$ Busy Talking or Texting on a Cell Phone and Not Paying ATTENTION what the H&^% they're Doing while behind the Steering Wheel of a Car/Truck!!!!! Most of the Time it's an Innocent Person that gets Hurt or Even Killed because the Other Person Only Thinks Of THEMSELVES!!!!!!

Retired US Air Force & Loving Life!!!
2012 Corvette "Centennial Edition" Coupe
2012 Grand Sport 3LT
post #6 of 23 Old 08-10-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunk1963 View Post
Well the Biggest Part of the Problem is CELL Phones!!!! I'm a MSF instructor and Way Too OFTEN something Happens because someone is Too D^%$ Busy Talking or Texting on a Cell Phone and Not Paying ATTENTION what the H&^% they're Doing while behind the Steering Wheel of a Car/Truck!!!!! Most of the Time it's an Innocent Person that gets Hurt or Even Killed because the Other Person Only Thinks Of THEMSELVES!!!!!!
Well Kunk, I sure do appreciate you highlighting part of my post..what I meant by that was responding to the original statement of teen proof cars. I was giving instances of how I was glad they didnt have teen proof cars years ago when we did teh stuff we did. When I said let kids be kids, I meant we all did things when we were kids, the day I need to put a GPS or computer in my 17 year old sons car, is the day he doesnt deserve to drive. I agree with the texting while driving...but do I do it once and a while myself, I sure do. Do I talk on my phone while driving..I sure do....Did I have to slam on the brakes more than once while doing..I sure did, but I've also slammed on the brakes while passing a hot chick next to me and not paying attention.There is one drunk driving accident approx every hour in the US...should they ban alcohol...Lot higher statistic than cell phones.....

Rodney Updegrave
2011 Chrysler 300C, 1954 Cadillac Coupe De Ville,1949 Pontiac Woodie Wagon,1972 VW Beetle Roadster, 2004 Baja 25 Outlaw
www.fquick.com/rodster56

Last edited by rodster56; 08-10-2011 at 02:57 PM.
post #7 of 23 Old 08-10-2011, 02:52 PM

The most ridiculous instances I see aren't even teens, but grown men/women who are so comfortable with driving they don't even think about what they're doing anymore.

Most teens I knew, despite texting and using their cell phones, always talked about being worried about getting into an accident. It's not until they get comfortable that something goes wrong.
post #8 of 23 Old 08-10-2011, 03:09 PM
Veteran Member

hi everyone
technically there would not be any problem, to limit the maximum speed to what the speedlimit of the particular road-/streetsection (via satnav)(there are already existing test vehicles)
some say, that would be the only way to do it, because there are more and more people on the roads, that have absolutely no education and no brain in their heads...
i will not comment on that

a different approach
before anyone is allowed to enter a public road
send her or him to a drivers-camp (like bmw and others offer: you learn (on private and vacated grounds) what a vehicle will do, if you go to fast..., brake on uneven surface or on slippery surfaces; that does teach you, what a car will do with you, when you do not accept the limits...)
anyone who has ever been sitting in a car out of control will learn to respect the technical limits and will learn about her or his own limits (and you better learn this on a test ground than on a public road)
post #9 of 23 Old 08-10-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlander View Post
hi everyone
technically there would not be any problem, to limit the maximum speed to what the speedlimit of the particular road-/streetsection (via satnav)(there are already existing test vehicles)
some say, that would be the only way to do it, because there are more and more people on the roads, that have absolutely no education and no brain in their heads...
i will not comment on that

a different approach
before anyone is allowed to enter a public road
send her or him to a drivers-camp (like bmw and others offer: you learn (on private and vacated grounds) what a vehicle will do, if you go to fast..., brake on uneven surface or on slippery surfaces; that does teach you, what a car will do with you, when you do not accept the limits...)
anyone who has ever been sitting in a car out of control will learn to respect the technical limits and will learn about her or his own limits (and you better learn this on a test ground than on a public road)
Sure...thats a great idea, give the kids a brand new car because it has a sat/nav system, or add a sat/nav to my sons 1997 Subaru Impreza....come on....drivers camp...I can see it now, American Pie Part 4....One day, In drivers camp....Oh man!

Rodney Updegrave
www.fquick.com/rodster56

Last edited by rodster56; 08-10-2011 at 03:38 PM.
post #10 of 23 Old 08-10-2011, 03:35 PM

Garage
I'm much more afraid of Mom in the minivan or SUV than I am of teens on the road! I see em all the time driving, texting, eating lunch, and fussin at their kids all at the same time! " But officer, I didn't see him!!!!"

Bill

'14 1LS
'13 1LT/RS
Camaro Family
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page