Well i was expecting it, but just not so soon.. - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 08-16-2011, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Unhappy Well i was expecting it, but just not so soon..

I know this isn't a Jeep forum, but it's still car stuff, and i need some advice.

I was poking around the jeep today, found some black clots coating the sides of my coolant tank, picked one up and squeezed, appeared to be oil or grease of some kind... My best guess is that the head gasket is starting to go, i noticed the stuff before i left MD; made it to TX just fine, but didn't put two and two together until today, gonna do some double checking later via the oil cap and dipstick, but I'm not losing too much oil, doesn't burn half as bad as my cherokee did; any idea how much time i've got? gone through about half a quart it looks like, I'll get an exact figure later once it's cooled down, but i haven't filled it in two weeks and 400 miles..

Anybody know some good shops in south TX? I dunno if i will tackle the job, but the head will need some machining. (And sorry for all the commas, I'm not thinking in sentences right now)

post #2 of 16 Old 08-16-2011, 02:07 PM
Banned

If it's on your coolant tank, and not in it, that's not a head gasket. That's an oil leak somewhere else that blew onto your coolant tank (I assume you're referring to the white overflow bottle when you say coolant tank?)
post #3 of 16 Old 08-16-2011, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devryn View Post
If it's on your coolant tank, and not in it, that's not a head gasket. That's an oil leak somewhere else that blew onto your coolant tank (I assume you're referring to the white overflow bottle when you say coolant tank?)
yeah, just the reservoir, but what else could blow in? I had a PCV issue that was dumping oil into the filter as well, but i replaced the lines and valve. I'm game for not doing a head gasket though! I was planning on buying a lift kit tonight lmao

post #4 of 16 Old 08-16-2011, 02:29 PM
Banned

It COULD be a valve cover gasket or something simple. Could be the anything really...front of the oil pan, the O Ring behind the crank pully, etc...Usually if it's crusted on it's an old leak. Head gaskets don't usually leak outside the engine. They just turn your oil pearly, or your coolant milky.
post #5 of 16 Old 08-16-2011, 02:29 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
Something to think about, if someone else was fighting a leak and put stop leak in the coolant, that is what is does when it gets out of the actual coolant. It turns a mushy black color. Dexcool in GM coolant does the same thing. Test... take another sample, mix it in some coolant and see if it mostly dissolves.. if so, you will have your answer.

Note: This is only if it was found on the inside of the coolant jug, not outside of coolant jug,
BIll

2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6spd 426hp
December 2013 Member of the Month

Last edited by kc0cmj; 08-16-2011 at 02:30 PM. Reason: l
post #6 of 16 Old 08-16-2011, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devryn View Post
It COULD be a valve cover gasket or something simple. Could be the anything really...front of the oil pan, the O Ring behind the crank pully, etc...Usually if it's crusted on it's an old leak. Head gaskets don't usually leak outside the engine. They just turn your oil pearly, or your coolant milky.
Allright... well that makes some sense. I couldn't really fathom how I'd gotten nearly 2k miles on a bad head gasket, i noticed the stuff for the first time when i was changing a busted radiator the day after i pulled it out of the paint shop, I then drove something like 500 miles to OC Maryland and back, then drove to Erie Pa from south of Gettysburg, turned east, went to the Jersey Shore, turned west again back to MD. And then I drove 1600 miles from MD to Texas. So idk, but it seems like a head would've gotten far worse.. i didn't burn any unusually large amounts of oil over my trip to Texas, maybe a quart if i remember, but that's not unusual for an old car.

post #7 of 16 Old 08-16-2011, 03:19 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Change the antifreeze and trade it.

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
Click the pic.. I don't tolerate fools.
post #8 of 16 Old 08-16-2011, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotpa View Post
Change the antifreeze and trade it.

Hahaha, maybe a better financial move, but not happening lol, I'm thinking of throwing a little lift on it actually.. I need new shocks anyways, gonna run me 120 bucks for good ones, might as well get the 80 dollar body lift

post #9 of 16 Old 08-16-2011, 03:33 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Then swap in a small block?

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
Click the pic.. I don't tolerate fools.
post #10 of 16 Old 08-16-2011, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotpa View Post
Then swap in a small block?
nah, i think it'll be alright, the oil level hasn't changed in 400 miles and 2 weeks, if it was something serious, it'd be moving fast. My Cherokee needed a quart every week when the rear main seal was going, but i initially thought a lot more oil was missing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page