A little consumer advice. - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 08-24-2011, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

A little consumer advice.

Rusty's offroad = not the greatest place ever. I bought 200 bucks in shocks, went to put them on today and they'd given me the wrong mounts. Also, the whole assembly came in pieces, had to do just about everything but pour in the hydraulic fluid!

Anyways, put a lift on my jeep today and i'm wiped. About everything that could've gone wrong did, and my left front is sitting on air lmao. Broke 3 bolts, one of which held me up for 2 hours as it spun in place and refused to break until i chipped through the mounting washer

So off to the shop in the morning to let an actual mechanic sort out my multiple blunders. My insight on this was that comparing a jeep to a mule is not remarkably unlike comparing a mule to a mule. The **** thing refuses to come apart, with every bolt a battle, and at the same time refuses to die; i cruised down the road back to my apt at a whopping 30mph and had no steering issues, vibration, or even a sense that part of the body wasn't correctly mounted. Just spent an hour underneath the jeep at the apartment trying to put the new shocks on them once i'd ripped out the forks with a vise-grips. Go figure, the shock retainer bolts wouldn't budge even with pb blaster.

short version: consumer advice/jeep being a jeep update thread

post #2 of 7 Old 08-25-2011, 05:59 AM
Veteran Member

ive learned that, i will work on my camaro. i will work on my hummer. i will even work on my wifes camry......but i will not work on my rusty old silverado plow truck. ill pay someone for that. too much rust and stubborn bolts.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-28-2011, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen View Post
ive learned that, i will work on my camaro. i will work on my hummer. i will even work on my wifes camry......but i will not work on my rusty old silverado plow truck. ill pay someone for that. too much rust and stubborn bolts.
haha, yeah, i got used to the cherokee, which was a CO truck and didn't have any rust. My wrangler is a MD car so it's not exactly a plum to work on, but i'm driving a cheap car for awhile, and i enjoy gaining experience, no matter how frustrating lmao.

post #4 of 7 Old 08-28-2011, 04:54 PM

Did Rusty's make the shocks as they are a pillar in the 4x4 community. It seems like they may have given you the wrong shocks, but the other complaint may be with the shock maker.

BTW, try using some PB blaster on any rusted items. Regardless of rust I always spray them down at LEAST 24 hours prior and usually a week with reapplication each day before I work on it.

2005 CTSV BLACK LS7 Clutch/Flywheel/Slave, Tick Speed Bleeder, Tilton Clutch MC, RevShift Bushings, Domestic V8 Solutions (shifter, 8.8 Diff conversion, srut tower braces, sub-frame connectors), SLP cats, no cags, xpipe, bullet mufflers, Volante, iPod dock, G-force tune; 379hp 381tq.

Killing 5th gens like it is my job.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-31-2011, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54inches View Post
Did Rusty's make the shocks as they are a pillar in the 4x4 community. It seems like they may have given you the wrong shocks, but the other complaint may be with the shock maker.

BTW, try using some PB blaster on any rusted items. Regardless of rust I always spray them down at LEAST 24 hours prior and usually a week with reapplication each day before I work on it.
Not sure, the shocks were just a pia, i presumed that when they asked for the make and model of my jeep that i'd get just the pieces i needed, but it looks like they gave me all the pieces for a yj wrangler or xj cherokee. Worked out fine in the end, but the lack of directions had me pretty pissed by the end of the day lol. I used a lot of pb blaster, but in the case of my shocks i had to drive down to a local shop to get a mechanic to crack them off with some heat. i actually hit them over a couple of days with pb blaster, but they were too far gone. My new tires should be in tomorrow, I'll post some pics up once they're on!

post #6 of 7 Old 08-31-2011, 05:19 PM

Sweet!

Can you post some photos of what pieces they gave you for shocks, as I have rarely seen shocks in pieces.....

2005 CTSV BLACK LS7 Clutch/Flywheel/Slave, Tick Speed Bleeder, Tilton Clutch MC, RevShift Bushings, Domestic V8 Solutions (shifter, 8.8 Diff conversion, srut tower braces, sub-frame connectors), SLP cats, no cags, xpipe, bullet mufflers, Volante, iPod dock, G-force tune; 379hp 381tq.

Killing 5th gens like it is my job.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-31-2011, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54inches View Post
Sweet!

Can you post some photos of what pieces they gave you for shocks, as I have rarely seen shocks in pieces.....
It was the rubber pieces that go into the loops on either end of the shock, along with the fork and loop pieces that go inside of those. I've done the same stuff before on my cherokee, converting some new jk shocks over so that i could use them on my xj, but i expected to have things ready to go out of the box, and the 2 hours working with a vice and a c-clamp were somewhat frustrating

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page