Aftermarket Questions - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 08-31-2011, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Garage
Aftermarket Questions

GM Policy and Procedure Manual. Clear as mud:

1.2.2.17 - Aftermarket Engine Performance Enhancement Products and Modifications
Some aftermarket engine performance products and modifications promise a way to increase
the horsepower and torque levels of a vehicle's powertrain. The products may have detrimental
effects on the performance and life of the engine, exhaust, emission system, transmission, and
drivetrain. The Duramax Diesel Engine, Allison Automatic Transmission and drivetrain have
been designed and built to offer industry leading durability and performance in the most
demanding applications. Engine power enhancement products may enable the engine to
operate at horsepower and torque levels that could damage, create failure, or reduce the life of
the engine, engine emission system, transmission and drivetrain. Damage, failure, or reduced
life of the engine, transmission emission system, drivetrain or other vehicle components caused
by aftermarket engine performance enhancement products or modifications may not be covered
under the vehicle warranty or GMPP plan.

#09-06-04-026C: Identifying Non-GM (Aftermarket) Engine and Transmission Calibrations for V8 Gas Engines Using Tech 2 or Global Diagnostic System (GDS) - (Aug 13, 2010)

Subject:

Identifying Non-GM (Aftermarket) Engine and Transmission Calibrations for V8 Gas Engines Using Tech 2® or Global Diagnostic System (GDS)

Models:

2006-2011 GM Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks (Excluding Saab 9-7X)

2006-2009 HUMMER H2

2006-2010 HUMMER H3

Equipped with V8 Gas Powered Engines Only

Attention:

This bulletin applies to V8 gas powered engines ONLY. For Duramax™ diesel powered engines, refer to the latest version of Corporate Bulletin Number 08-06-04-006G.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to add the 2011 model year. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 09-06-04-026A (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

General Motors is identifying an increasing number of engine, transmission and catalytic converter part failures that are the result of non-GM (aftermarket) engine and transmission control calibrations being used.

When alteration to the GM-released engine or transmission control calibrations occurs, it subjects powertrain and driveline components (engine , transmission, transfer case, driveshaft and rear axle) to stresses that were not tested by General Motors. It is because of these unknown stresses, and the potential to alter reliability, durability and emissions performance, that GM has adopted a policy that prevents any UNAUTHORIZED dealer warranty claim submissions to any remaining warranty coverage, to the powertrain and driveline components whenever the presence of a non-GM (aftermarket) calibration is confirmed - even if the non-GM control module calibration is subsequently removed.

Warranty coverage is based on the equipment and calibrations that were released on the vehicle at time of sale, or subsequently updated by GM. That’s because GM testing and validation matches the calibration to a host of criteria that is essential to assure reliability, durability and emissions performance over the life of the warranty coverage and beyond. Stresses resulting from calibrations different from those tested and released by GM can damage or weaken components, leading to poor performance and or shortened life.

Additionally, non-GM (aftermarket) issued engine control modifications often do not meet the same emissions performance standards as GM issued calibrations. Depending on state statutes, individuals who install engine control module calibrations that put the vehicle outside the parameters of emissions certification standards may be subject to fines and/or penalties.

This bulletin outlines a procedure to identify the presence of non-GM (aftermarket) calibrations. GM recommends performing this check whenever a hard part failure is seen on internal engine or transmission components, or before an engine assembly or transmission assembly is being replaced under warranty. It is also recommended that the engine calibration verification procedure be performed whenever diagnostics indicate that catalytic converter replacement is indicated.

The PQC has a process to confirm the ECM/PCM calibration is GM issued. The PQC will require a picture of the engine calibration verification screen, as outlined in this bulletin, before authorizing any V8 gas powered engine replacement.

If a non-GM calibration is found and verification has taken place through GM, the remaining powertrain and driveline warranty will be blocked and notated in GMVIS and the dealership will be notified. This block prevents any UNAUTHORIZED warranty claim submission.

Those are the two biggies.. Hope that answers questions.
Bill

2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6spd 426hp
December 2013 Member of the Month
post #2 of 13 Old 09-01-2011, 07:21 AM
Veteran Member

hasnt this been known?
post #3 of 13 Old 09-01-2011, 07:43 AM
Support MC & Troops

Some people just don't know

thx for sharing

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Getting way pumped up ..LOL(Never giving up !)

The all new Convertible (Born 1/11/11) !, Welcome to the Fleet !
SHADOW 2013 GBA 2SS/RS A6 Vert (2/13/14)
"FROST 2011 SIM LT1 A6 " FIRST VERT MOTM AUGUST 2013
*PROTESTING GM*
"GIVE ME MY13'IBM ZL1 vert GM!"
post #4 of 13 Old 09-01-2011, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member

if they dont, they probably shouldnt be buying a car.
post #5 of 13 Old 09-01-2011, 08:30 AM
Bully Proof

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen View Post
if they dont, they probably shouldnt be buying a car.
I didn't know...I had never modified a car. Plus I had a dealership actually encouraging me to modify my V6 and then they sold me the parts. So I do believe this post will help others understand GM's viewpoint on the topic.
post #6 of 13 Old 09-01-2011, 08:47 AM

Thanks, knew it BUT it is a GOOD post none the less .
post #7 of 13 Old 09-01-2011, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Garage
With all the conversations lately, some did not. So I figured I would copy and paste what I have from GM so that everyone can make good decisions.

post #8 of 13 Old 09-01-2011, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member

why does it say for hummer H3 and light duty trucks and excluding saab?
post #9 of 13 Old 09-01-2011, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Garage
Because it applies to all of those cars. Wasn't just for the camaro. GM's bulletin is written to cover all thier cars and their butts.

post #10 of 13 Old 09-01-2011, 05:05 PM
Supporting Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen View Post
why does it say for hummer H3 and light duty trucks and excluding saab?
I believe there are different ones that cover each group so that there is one that covers each engine/model

1998 Camaro A4 7.06 @ 96.5 MPH NA 1.47 best 60ft
2010 Camaro Tube Chassis work in progress
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page