which is the better tire? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 09-06-2011, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

which is the better tire?

which tire should be next on my hummer? i have the Nitto Trail Grapplers now. great looking tire, but i smell rubber after driving it EVERY time. which makes me think, their not gonna last long. Heres my list of choices in a 37". let me know any personal experiences with these tires and opinions. These are listed in order from cheapest to most expensive.

Cooper Discoverer STT

Pro Comp M/T

BF Goodrich T/A KO

Pro Comp A/T

Goodyear Wrangler MT/R

Nitto Terra Grappler
post #2 of 17 Old 09-06-2011, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
I have used Goodyear Wrangler in the past. Granted it was in lite truck application. Did not have trouble with them on that platform.

Buzz
2010 Synergy Green 1LT

post #3 of 17 Old 09-06-2011, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member

I've used the BFG's along with a couple of my close friends. Never once have they given me any issues, however, they don't look at "aggresive" as some of the other tires, including the Nitto's.
post #4 of 17 Old 09-06-2011, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

yeah, im not a huge fan of the nitto terra grappler. my buddy has them on his suburban and he says they wear great. i had the bfg's on as the stock tires and got alot of miles out of them. i think i got almost 40k out of them and i could have gotten another winter out of them but decided to try the trail grapplers out in the snow. they arent crazy aggressive, but they are the stock brand and wear great.
i also have the pro comp a/t's on my silverado plow truck. they have around 15K on them and their holding up great and get around in the snow pretty good. if i had to choose right now, my top 3 would be the BFG's,Cooper STT, and pro comp M/T( just because they look pretty aggressive and im pretty satisifed with the A/T). and oddly enough, those 3 choices happen to be the cheapest of the tires.
post #5 of 17 Old 09-06-2011, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member

I agree with you, as I got about 47K out of the BFG's, and never once had an issue with them. I do wish they looked a tad bit more aggressive, but for the price, the mileage, and durability, I guess I can't complain. My good friend that lives in Clarksville, TN has about 30K on his, and he is extremely rough and abusive. In my experience, they stand up really well.

Not to hi-jack your thread, or change the subject, but did you decide on an SUV? I've been researching the Jeep SRT8, and it looks pretty wicked.
post #6 of 17 Old 09-06-2011, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

well, ive decided that im going to keep the hummer. after lots of thinking and concidering, i cant get rid of one of the baddest trucks ive ever owned. the other SUV's ive looked at are much smaller. i have 2 giant rottweilers to lug around, so i need the space. the first place Performance SUV, Cayenne, is nice, but too small in the back for the dogs. so ive decided to keep the hummer. only 48K on the odometer. just bought it out and it was only 26K. its worth around 34K. i just had all the fluids changed, brakes done, alot of parts replaced and upgraded. this things ready for another 50K. so im just going to do a few things to it...... 3" spacers in the rear shocks. 2" lift in the front. new SkyJacker shocks and 37" tires. i have the camaro for performance. i NEED the hummer for winter.
post #7 of 17 Old 09-06-2011, 05:24 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Good choice! The Hummer is a great looking vehicle...and it's GM.

I've got Goodyears on my Silverado and they're a nice tire. Good traction, decent ride, and so far the treadwear seems pretty good. The sidewalls are stiff enough that they don't squirm in corners, either, like my Coopers did.

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
Click the pic.. I don't tolerate fools.
post #8 of 17 Old 09-06-2011, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

I noticed after i put these trail grapplers on, that they were very flimsy in corners compared to my previous bf goodrich ta kos. Id like to have the tight feel back. But Im wondering how much worse a taller tire, like the 37's, will be....even if i do decide to go with the bfg's
post #9 of 17 Old 09-06-2011, 05:50 PM

friend of mine is into off-roading and he firmly stands by "Mickey Thompsons"

2011 Chevy Camaro 2LT/RS Convertible Auto, CGM
2010 Chevy Camaro 1LT 3.6L Manual [Production #115] Black with cyber grey stripes (http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3370622) Traded 12/10/11
August 2011 MotM
-"Team LLT" representative
South Jersey Camaro Club member
post #10 of 17 Old 09-06-2011, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Mickey Thompson are great tires. And so are dick cepek. But off road is a different animal than on road. Like car tires,you want a sticky soft tire for off road but on road you want longevity. I don't know that mickey Thompson or dick cepek will give me the mileage i need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page