Spare tires: a thing of the past? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 11-07-2011, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Garage
Post Spare tires: a thing of the past?

This is something that some us know about:

When you buy a car these days, you’d better look in the trunk. The idea of a spare tire, even a compact spare tire (aka “donut”), may become a thing of the past.

It seems more and more, auto manufacturers are trying to reduce curb weight in an attempt to chase down high miles-per-gallon gas standards and environmental controls set upon them by the government. Fewer GM models will have spares in 2012. This company, though not alone, has been leaving them out of some cars for years. They did it 10 years ago with the Corvette Z06, so you can see this is not a new idea.

Not all of us were buying Corvette Z06s in 2001 and may have missed the memo about the lack of a spare tire. At first, it seemed to be only the performance cars that got the weight break, but it is creeping into the sedate sedan line.

It was bad enough when you went to the temporary spare. It wasn’t a full-sized wheel and tire, but it would get the job done in a pinch. Now, the answer seems to be a “road repair kit,” essentially a product used to fill small punctures. What happens when it’s not a small puncture?

Roadside assistance will become a popular checked box on new car purchases, but the busy, on-the-go professional doesn’t have time to sit and wait for a service truck. There are circumstances when you just need to change the tire and go.

It happened to me in February. The left rear tire blew out, and I do mean really blew out. No chemical product was going to get me on my way (For the record, the chemical product does have a purpose and a good one, but not in this case). I happened to be on the interstate on my way to the airport. Since I am old school in a few ways, I was fortunate. One of those ways that I refuse to change is the presence of a full-sized spare in my trunk. I was able to pull over, change the tire, and continue on, making the flight. I didn’t have to worry about the limited life span of a temporary tire or the reduced speed requirements. I could motor on without worry. When I returned, it was a simple case of putting the temporary tire in the trunk until I could get a new full-sized tire in a couple of days. The temporary has since been retired to the garage again.

Maybe we were spoiled by the manufacturers providing a little extra in case of an unfortunate situation. Perhaps it was never their responsibility after all, and we’re simply seeing the situation balanced back to the way it should have been. It really looks like we’re having something taken from us, but think about it. If it is going to pick up a mile or two per gallon, it will add up, especially with the price of gas. It’s a trade-off – a little inconvenience versus savings in the long run. For now, I’ll keep the spare, even if I have to get it myself. Could be the first mod.

Spare tires: a thing of the past? - Auto Enthusiast

Buzz
2010 Synergy Green 1LT

post #2 of 20 Old 11-07-2011, 05:11 PM
Admin/ChevyBlazerRep

Garage
I hope not i love having my spare tire with me

June 2015 MOTM

"I live my life a quarter mile at a time, For those ten seconds or less, I'm free.
post #3 of 20 Old 11-07-2011, 05:12 PM

Not yet!! I got a spare tire with mine.

JANUARY 2012 MODERN CAMARO MEMBER OF THE MONTH
JUNE 2012 CAMARONEWS.COM CAR OF THE MONTH
http://5thgencarolinacamaros.webs.com/
post #4 of 20 Old 11-07-2011, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Garage
One thing I have been meaning to order.

Buzz
2010 Synergy Green 1LT

post #5 of 20 Old 11-07-2011, 05:29 PM

Garage
I am S.O.L.

post #6 of 20 Old 11-07-2011, 06:00 PM

Garage
Yea, no spare in mine either. Wifes 'Stang has one though.

Bill

'14 1LS
'13 1LT/RS
Camaro Family
post #7 of 20 Old 11-07-2011, 06:55 PM
sdk
Veteran Member

Garage
I paid an extra $150 for a donut I hope I never need.

2017 Camaro SS
South Carolina
post #8 of 20 Old 11-07-2011, 08:17 PM
Premium Member

Garage
SOL myself, just an air pump and a box of foam sealer. Do have a mounted spare front and rear tire on SS rims in the garage just in case but do not really know how that will help me out on the road!

No one to call but roadside assistance...the price you pay for not having kids!

2010 2SS/RS A6 L99 Born 09/16/2009 Vin#9146985
ModernCamaro Car of the Month Jan 2013
CAI,Axle back exhaust, V Max Throttle Body
post #9 of 20 Old 11-08-2011, 12:14 AM
Veteran Member

yes, i agree
if you start thinking about having no spare tire
you start thinking about not starting a longer journey

the weight and carbon emission reduction is a joke
but it saves a little money for the car builder

anyway
with a camaro 5th gen in V8 or ZL1 config, you would have to carry 2 spares (cause of different front and rear tire sizes)
the trunk would be full
but keep in mind: many people are drivin around with too low tire pressure (the do not check it (that is the reason for those modern tire pressure monitoring systems))
this can even become very dangerous (worse handling or even tire blow out at speed) and people do not check
any idea of the percentage of unchecked sparetires, being completely unusable in the case, because being deflated or nearly deflated or too old

a few decades ago, they had a solution to the prob

you prefer the classic british style?

post #10 of 20 Old 11-08-2011, 01:00 AM

Garage
Not really S.O.L. I do have AAA with long distance towing. I for sure am not buying two extra Rushforth's wheel's for the trunk , with one 18, and one 19 with tires mounted....Just not going to happen...I get a flat, then that become the Journey....Tow Truck, Lunch, and a trip home....And putting one on the Back like the T Bird, would just make my Rear look fat...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page