Building Model Rockets - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 11-20-2011, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Super Moderator

Building Model Rockets

Me and my daugter are build a rocket. Here is some of the progress. The first two pics are of our last rocket. Estes rocket kit with C6 motor. The one we are building is copletley scratch built and we are going to fly it on a G motor to start and maybe go up to an I motor if it certifies on a H motor. It has a 29mm motor mount. We are shooting for 1400ft with a G motor and we will be launching an egg in it.

This is at a little under 600ft

We have made some changes to the fins since this first design. We are using Rocksim9 to design and test the design.

Here is my daughter rolling the body tube on 2" PVC pipe(makes tube about 2.5" dia)

Rolling the engine tube

Engine tube finished

Centering rings finished

Installing engine mount assy

1998 Camaro A4 7.06 @ 96.5 MPH NA 1.47 best 60ft
2010 Camaro Tube Chassis work in progress
post #2 of 29 Old 11-20-2011, 01:30 PM

Cool...It is great to get kids into hands on projects.
post #3 of 29 Old 11-20-2011, 06:08 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
Nice

2013 LT2/RS, Crystal Red Metallic, TAZ Jr.
2016 H-D Ultra Classic, Black Fire Purple, (PPE)
2015 H-D Street Glide, Superior Blue. (Old Blue) Traded
2012 Big Horn, RAM, Crew Cab, SLT, Dark Cherry Red Pearl (Betty Boop)
1998 Honda Accord 2d, daily driver.
post #4 of 29 Old 11-20-2011, 07:41 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Reminds me of the time I was the president of the Hurst Jr High Model Rocket Club way back in 1969! We did not fly anything that large but built a few 3 stage rockets that Estes sold. We even had one go high enough to float down wind to Bell Helicopter a few miles away. An official MP from Bell Helicopter returned it to us in a Military vehicle and made the front page news. Those were the days.

2010 2SS/RS A6 L99 Born 09/16/2009 Vin#9146985
ModernCamaro Car of the Month Jan 2013
CAI,Axle back exhaust, V Max Throttle Body
post #5 of 29 Old 11-21-2011, 04:52 AM

I was also part of the model rocket scene in Jr. High... for me it was back in the late 70's

Excellent activity with your kid, my son and I did the rocketeering thing for a couple summers a while back. We never attempted anything that ambitious, but we had a lot fun.

Good luck with the project.

Scooba Steve
post #6 of 29 Old 11-21-2011, 09:57 AM
Support MC & Troops

Wow that's killer and helping her through ground zero, your a great pops

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Getting way pumped up ..LOL(Never giving up !)

The all new Convertible (Born 1/11/11) !, Welcome to the Fleet !
SHADOW 2013 GBA 2SS/RS A6 Vert (2/13/14)
"FROST 2011 SIM LT1 A6 " FIRST VERT MOTM AUGUST 2013
*PROTESTING GM*
"GIVE ME MY13'IBM ZL1 vert GM!"
post #7 of 29 Old 11-21-2011, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
Model Rockets are great. Still have mine (the ones that survived). I must have wiped out 4 of the Estes A1 or A2, can't remember. This was back in the 80's. But one of the ones I still have is: Not sure of the model No.. But it about 24 inches tall with 2 inch diameter. Fins were made out of wood. Used an C type engine. I few that one a bunch times. Lost it once, but was able to recover it. Bye far the most successful one in the group that I made. Very basic design but worked great. Still have it along with one that uses D type engine.

Hopefully your daughter will take memory's that will last forever. Mine sure did.

Buzz
2010 Synergy Green 1LT

post #8 of 29 Old 11-21-2011, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Yeah its lots of fun and we will be going to a local club launch when they start back up for the year. That should be fun. We are going to try to build a couple models to take with us.

We want to take pics or video from the edge of space (where you can see the curve of the earth and the sky is black in the day.) Not sure how this will go but we are just in the planning stage of this right now. I know its been done many times and by amateurs so hopefully its something we can do, but even if we don't suceed it will be a good experience trying. So far what I know is we will need a weather balloon with either hydrogen(flamable) or Helium. We will need a camera then can withstand the temperture, we will need to have insullation such as a foam cooler and insullation, maybe some of those things for keeping animals warm during shipping in a package, a parachute, keep it under 4lbs, Some kind of GPS to track it, and to notify the FAA I think a month in advance but not sure how much advance is needed yet.
Something I don't understand is how to deploy the chute when the ballon bursts. If any of you have any useful links that would be great.

We are also building a rocket out of a fluorescent tube cover. We almost have it finished. We used the big tube for the body and a smaller tube for the engine tube. The engine tube size is 29mm and this one is light wieght. I will probley adapt it down to a 18mm to start out and fly it with a C6 and then move up from there. We used foam board for the fins and the nose is made from paper with a foam core. Also foamboard for the centering rings.
Here is a pic from rocksim9 where we designed it first:

post #9 of 29 Old 11-21-2011, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Here is an update pic on both:

post #10 of 29 Old 11-21-2011, 10:39 PM
Veteran Member

Nice! rockets were where i started lol, i've done a few from scratch, met with good and bad results lmao, but building them is always fun!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page