Are You Brand Loyal With Performance Parts? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 01-03-2012, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Are You Brand Loyal With Performance Parts?

Hi Everyone,

My Monte Carlo Is The 3rd Car I've Had The Chance To Modify. Recently I've Been Buying Parts From Manufactures That I'm Very Familiar With. I'm Not Into Buying Parts Because Of A Popular Name, But I Do Spend The Extra For Top Shelf Quality And Reliability.

Although I'm Modding On A Budget, I Take It Slow And Buy The Better Part. I Figure If A Car Is More Than A Tool To You, Buy The Parts That'll Payoff In The Long Run.

I Don't Buy Parts On Their Advertising Claims, I Buy What Works And What Does It's Job(s) Well. If I Have To Buy A Part I'm Unfamiliar With, I Can Research For Weeks. It Took me 2 Weeks To Find What Oil Filter I Wanted.

In The Car World, I'm A Loner. My "Friends" Either Use Their Cars As Tools Only Or Prefer Tuners. I Seek Parts Advice From The Older Folks At Work. I See The Older Crowd Being Very Loyal With Brands That Might Not Be Top Shelf Today. Some Prefer Regular Walmart Air Filters To The Superior (IMO) K&N.

Another Concern I Have Is Wanting To Brand Match Specific Areas Of The Engine. My Carb & Intake Setup Is Edelbrock. So I Look At Edelbrock Heads And Cams Which Might Not Be As Effective As Brand A, B, or C. I Might Be Overlooking Better Parts Because I Choose To Match.

(I'm Currently Buying A New HEI, Because I Have Accel Wires. I Want An Accel Distributor And Even Wanting Their Sparkplugs. Although MSD, or Mallory Might Make A Better Distributor In My Price Range, Or How Bosch Or Denso Might Make Better Spark Plugs. I Feel Modifying Like This Will Result In Underperforming Combinations)

I'm Curious To See What You Guys Have To Say, Since You All Have A Lot More Car Experience Under Your Belt.

P.S. Merry Christmas And Happy New Years.
post #2 of 12 Old 01-03-2012, 03:21 PM
Admin/ChevyBlazerRep

Garage
Welcome Back Adam... It's been awhile since you posted

June 2015 MOTM

"I live my life a quarter mile at a time, For those ten seconds or less, I'm free.
post #3 of 12 Old 01-03-2012, 07:08 PM

Not really Brand loyal. If its a top of the line part, I will use it regardless of which brand. Just want good stuff on my Camaro.

JANUARY 2012 MODERN CAMARO MEMBER OF THE MONTH
JUNE 2012 CAMARONEWS.COM CAR OF THE MONTH
http://5thgencarolinacamaros.webs.com/
post #4 of 12 Old 01-03-2012, 07:27 PM
ユキヒョウ

Brand Loyal, sort of. Depends on the part and the Brand, and what vehicle it's for. For my Camaro, I won't buy cheap generic stuff. But once I find something that I like I stick with it unless someone makes a better widget.

2019 1SS/1LE
post #5 of 12 Old 01-03-2012, 08:41 PM
Veteran Member

Hey Adam how have you been, Im brand loyal with most things buti ts because It what I am comfortable with and what I think is the best
Good Luck with the Monte

post #6 of 12 Old 01-03-2012, 09:30 PM

Some brands are better at making certain things than others so I go with what we know works best for the best price. MSD wires and distributors and coils are good but their LS1 style coils are horrible.... Edelbrock intakes are good with just about any carb on top though, and most companies make a good plug and play out of the box street model so some things it doesnt really matter on.. but I wouldnt be inter changing suspension parts.... but like a Callies crank and Oliver rods there isnt an issue..
post #7 of 12 Old 01-14-2012, 09:50 AM
Supporting Super Moderator

yeeep. 1st choice is always SLP. Stock replacement AC Delco. From there it depends on the part. Made in USA always gets priority in all cases.

2010 Camaro RS SS LS3 (Bumble Bee) Vin#192 & 8 others made by GM and one Christine
post #8 of 12 Old 01-18-2012, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorcinLS1 View Post
yeeep. 1st choice is always SLP. Stock replacement AC Delco. From there it depends on the part. Made in USA always gets priority in all cases.
Made In USA Is Great. Really Adds To The Pride Of Owning A Classic Car.
post #9 of 12 Old 01-18-2012, 01:00 PM

SLP doesnt make a thing as far I know, they rebadge... Its just a name geared towards GM and publicity.... as far as USA made... you might want to look at that again.. they are in NJ and are USA but are all their products, where are they made?
Same as a few other over hyped names. Its all about marketing and some people are very good at. So much so that they sell the illusion of power and performance.
Now I am not dissing SLP but more educating people on how it all works. Their name alone makes you think you have performance parts... when they are actually just off the shelf rebadged and cheaper if you buy them from the MFG instead of a name tag.

You want good suspension you go to Pfadt.

Edlebrock is actually USA made as far as I know and there are plenty of others of course.

Fixing the LSx world one misconception at a time

Last edited by CC Performance Parts; 01-18-2012 at 01:05 PM.
post #10 of 12 Old 01-19-2012, 08:16 PM
Supporting Super Moderator

no education needed here! been using slp parts for over 15 years now. their stuff has NEVER let me down from my race car, to our Firehawk and 00 SS vert. They have been doing this since the Third gen not just some bandwagon co that has jumped on the new camaro.

2010 Camaro RS SS LS3 (Bumble Bee) Vin#192 & 8 others made by GM and one Christine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page