How will consumer reports rate the camaro? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 11-22-2007, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

How will consumer reports rate the camaro?

Thought I would drop a bomb here as I recover from my hernia surgery on Thanksgiving. I have been reading a lot lately and just read the most recent version of consumer reports on cars for next year and as usual, they slam everything American for the most part. How do you think they will rate the new Camaro? Will they even drive one or just count on their membership data base to do the work/gossip for them? Some of my favorite autos are ones they totally don't recommend! Oh well, thought this might strik up an interesting and heated discussion with ya'll. Of course, they totally love Honda and find no fault with any of their products and the same with Toyota? Have they even read about the bed and tailgate problems with the toyota Tundra? Have fun with this but try and be nice....it is after all Thanksgiving and I for one am just happy to be up and around!
post #2 of 16 Old 11-23-2007, 07:28 AM
Supporter of common sense

Very difficult to say without much information on the production version.

Joe :: Over Anxious 67 Camaro RS/SS L78
5thgenblog.com // Michigan Classics
Chevrolet Camaro in Transformers // My ebaY auctions

Hot Rod Search Google searches for gearheads!
post #3 of 16 Old 11-23-2007, 08:36 AM
Dark Side Moderator

When it does come out Im sure J.D. Power and Motor Trend will give positive thumbs up. While, Consumer Reports, Car & Driver, and Jeremy Clarkson & Friends will find negative factors, then proceed to flame the car if possible in that field.

2005 Mustang GT-4.6L 3v /M5
2.3L Whipple Intercooled, 3.25'' pulley(11psi),FRPP 62mm TB, FRPP Stinger Axleback, UPR catted X-pipe, FRPP Handling Pack, 20'' Staggered Black Steeda Spyder Wheels, NT-05 Nittos, 3.73s, Hurst Shifter, and DF Centerforce Clutch
527rwhp, 479rwtq
post #4 of 16 Old 11-23-2007, 08:44 AM

Whats funny to me is that the differences in reliabilityarer so small now and people act like there is some huge disparity. All of the cars in the top 20 are within a few percentage points of one another.

I have a Mazdaspeed6 which has a Ford sourced 2.3L motor and the think hasn't even hiccuped in the first 15K. My Cayman is rock solid through 12K miles and My Titan with 42K had the rotors replaced and a cross member retorqued and that was it. Non issues for me on a 42K mileage car.

I am absolutely sure the new Camaro will have a few bugs, like the Corvette but we are all buying this car out of our passion for the car and not some reveiw printed in CR. I would be surprised to find one person on this board that would let anything CR said about the car influence their purchasing decison.
post #5 of 16 Old 11-23-2007, 08:53 AM
Dark Side Moderator

You are right, it will not. But bias opinions are horrible in review mags. American car do get low rating for things that are kinda irrelevant to the class of car its in. Example:

Z06 Corvette: Great car, but crappy interior versus other cars (according to mag)

I first hand sat in C6 Z06 and found it to have a great interior; better that a C5's. But, really, how important is an interior in a car half the price of the competition and in a class of sports-cars. I can see this being the case in a luxury car, but not in sport car.

2.3L Whipple Intercooled, 3.25'' pulley(11psi),FRPP 62mm TB, FRPP Stinger Axleback, UPR catted X-pipe, FRPP Handling Pack, 20'' Staggered Black Steeda Spyder Wheels, NT-05 Nittos, 3.73s, Hurst Shifter, and DF Centerforce Clutch
527rwhp, 479rwtq
post #6 of 16 Old 11-23-2007, 08:56 AM
Mid
Super Moderator

consumer reports doesn't recommend the C6...so I think they're full of ****.

I don't really care how they rate the new Camaro

post #7 of 16 Old 11-23-2007, 10:35 AM
See You On Course

Car comparisons are always just that, how are they compared to other cars. In the same class? Not usually, but sometimes they will do it right. If they compare against the Mustang, people will love it I am sure. If they compare it to a Corvette, which they will, it's going to lose. But at about half the price, they won't care. People always like to say "well it doesn't have this" or "it's not as good as that".

I'll be looking for the comments about what it excels in, or how much fun it is. Those are the ones I trust.

2010 Stock IBM 2SS/RS

I found $80 in my jeans pocket. The kid in me said "buy nerf guns and candy!" But then the adult in me said "buy vodka, nerf guns and candy!"

post #8 of 16 Old 11-23-2007, 10:52 AM

I don't know why they wouldn't recommend a C6, that is a great car. Good reliability, best in class performance, best in class mileage, good resale. I looked hard at the ZO6, drove it a couple of times. Loved it but knew I wouldn't be able to keep a lid on it. I got on the freeway and in 2nd gear had to slow down to merge with traffic. I hear the 08 is an even better driving car. Interior is much improved again from the intro 05's.
post #9 of 16 Old 11-23-2007, 10:57 AM
Dark Side Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douge View Post
I don't know why they wouldn't recommend a C6, that is a great car. Good reliability, best in class performance, best in class mileage, good resale. I looked hard at the ZO6, drove it a couple of times. Loved it but knew I wouldn't be able to keep a lid on it. I got on the freeway and in 2nd gear had to slow down to merge with traffic. I hear the 08 is an even better driving car. Interior is much improved again from the intro 05's.
Yeah, the new LS3 vette has this nice leather wrapped interior option. Nice, but expensive.

527rwhp, 479rwtq
post #10 of 16 Old 11-23-2007, 03:41 PM

CR treats cars as transportation appliances, think toasters and dishwashers.

Get you from point A to point B, never mind the experience between points A and B.

They'll pan it for being a 2 door (impractical), for using too much gas, and being too big and porky to be sporty.

CR is not a car mag for entusiasts.

But, if I need a toaster or dishwasher, I'll look them up there before I go shopping.

Cheers, Steve SSOA F00-1363 CCSD #204
2000 Camaro SS Lt. Pewter, neutral leather, M6, Hurst, PEG2, ASR, defogger
SLP Chrome ZR1's, D-D exhaust, Bilstein, Castrol, cover, mats, fobs
BMR STB, SLP !CAGS, AAM Diff cover, Chrome Hood Insert, Zaino
Dyno'd at 312 RWHP, 321 RWT
http://camaroclubofsandiego.org
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page