Big Oil and us - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 11-22-2007, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Dark Side Moderator

Big Oil and us

I was thinking of something after reading some post in the News forum and talking to a few friends about the issue concerning oil. (you know, turkey bloated talk) Here is somethings that Im wondering:

1} If government officials are paid by the oil companies?
  • - If so, who and how much?
  • - If so, are plans to "minimize oil dependancy" are created with failure intended just to get tree hugger votes and back up oil companies.

2} If car companies are paid off by oil companies?
  • - If so, which ones are and are not?
  • - How much and the terms of the agreements?
  • - If saboteurs workers and R&D worker are placed to hender plans like the Volt.
  • -If some car companies were once paid off and now are not?

3} Are there small labs and independant sourced that research alternative fuels or solutions that have been or being bought out by oil companies?

4} Can measures be made to protect research against the oil companies?

(Ex. Federal government makes a law that any buyout of fuel research must be conducted through the federal courts.
Also, Federal government makes a reward/grant program to top the $ offer made by the oil company. I believe
this would let the researcher(s) have the ball in there court; but at the same time everyone in the world. If anyone
remembers the rumored hydrogen car produced years ago, but the program was bought out. Under my idea, it maintains
american freedom/capitolism, but stops oil company cover-ups if it exist.)

2005 Mustang GT-4.6L 3v /M5
2.3L Whipple Intercooled, 3.25'' pulley(11psi),FRPP 62mm TB, FRPP Stinger Axleback, UPR catted X-pipe, FRPP Handling Pack, 20'' Staggered Black Steeda Spyder Wheels, NT-05 Nittos, 3.73s, Hurst Shifter, and DF Centerforce Clutch
527rwhp, 479rwtq
post #2 of 17 Old 11-23-2007, 07:32 AM

1) Yes its called campaign contributions or "soft money" , not only do big oil but so does big business (read GM, Ford, Microsoft etc). I've seen contributions in the tens of thousands, (Gates gave over 20K to each of the presidential nominees last campaign. Also any group who supports one candidate over another is giving contributions and getting kick backs (512 groups). Amounts range from several thousand to as I said 10's of thousands.

2) No they have mutual dependancies and agreements of which it would be difficult if not impossible to determine. It's doubtful there will be sabateurs as there is no need. Until congress mandates some guideline even if the volt is successful they still dont need to make but one line of vehicle.

3) I'm sure there are many. Its a statistical probability. I've personally seen a veggie oil powered truck pass me on the interstate advertising its conversion and lost the addy to it. I can't seem to find it anymore as well and I know for a fact that it worked. Seen it first hand.

4) Yes but will take a majority of in the house and senate to pass such things which not only cost money (red flag #1), and would need to find many senators not under any influence what so ever (impossibility). The hydrogen concept was actually a bad concept. It physically took more energy to convert than it put out. That one in particular was abandoned not just bought out. I remember reading German engineering reports on that.

2000 Red 1SC Z28 A4 - dead for now
2005 Black GTO M6 6.0 - Split daily driver
1987 Silver Fiero GT - Split daily driver
post #3 of 17 Old 11-23-2007, 07:51 AM

Good questions

No I don't think they are paid outright. Influenced via political action committees, campaign contributions lobbyist etc... absolutely

I don't believe the market can bear any undue influence at the manufacturing level. They have a hard enough time selling cars already. However it would not surprise me if they were engaged in promoting SUV's and trucks that consume more fuel.

I believe that big oil is probably pretty active in trying to limit a true alternative fuel but they cannot stop it. Hydrogen is making some headway, but even if it did literally make oil obsolete as a fuel, it would be several decades before a the new fuel infrastructure would be complete and gas fueled cars stopped needing gas in large volume.

I also think there are still massive reserves throughout the world, some in the US that remain strategically untapped, Brazil recently announced a massive reserve they found off shore. I do think OPEC and others to some degree try to control the perception of supply.
post #4 of 17 Old 11-23-2007, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
Dark Side Moderator

They were some random question I thought up. Good answers.

2.3L Whipple Intercooled, 3.25'' pulley(11psi),FRPP 62mm TB, FRPP Stinger Axleback, UPR catted X-pipe, FRPP Handling Pack, 20'' Staggered Black Steeda Spyder Wheels, NT-05 Nittos, 3.73s, Hurst Shifter, and DF Centerforce Clutch
527rwhp, 479rwtq
post #5 of 17 Old 11-23-2007, 10:37 AM
See You On Course

Watch the movie "Who killed the electric car" about the GM EV1. Very interesting oil information. Watch the show, and then form your own opinions. I have mine.

2010 Stock IBM 2SS/RS

I found $80 in my jeans pocket. The kid in me said "buy nerf guns and candy!" But then the adult in me said "buy vodka, nerf guns and candy!"

post #6 of 17 Old 11-23-2007, 10:50 AM
Banned

Here's what I find funny. There's a guy in Kansas that can supposedly build 100 mpg H2s. There's supposedly other experiments that have built water powered diesels. There's supposedly a super cheap way to extract hydrogen from water that is also extremely efficient. There is a grass called "switch grass" that yields 10 to 1 ratio of ethanol, whereas maize only yield 1.5 to 1. Switch grass can be harvested many many times per year and requires almost no maintenance, whereas maize requires alot of maintenace and can be harvested 3 times per year.

There are just too many inconsistencies to figure out WHY we can't have fuel efficient and powerful vehicles AND not be so dependent on foreign oil.
post #7 of 17 Old 11-23-2007, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Dark Side Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devryn View Post
Here's what I find funny. There's a guy in Kansas that can supposedly build 100 mpg H2s. There's supposedly other experiments that have built water powered diesels. There's supposedly a super cheap way to extract hydrogen from water that is also extremely efficient. There is a grass called "switch grass" that yields 10 to 1 ratio of ethanol, whereas maize only yield 1.5 to 1. Switch grass can be harvested many many times per year and requires almost no maintenance, whereas maize requires alot of maintenace and can be harvested 3 times per year.

There are just too many inconsistencies to figure out WHY we can't have fuel efficient and powerful vehicles AND not be so dependent on foreign oil.
These are the things Ive thought about. I wondering too. Do we have Men in Black over fuel, lol?

527rwhp, 479rwtq
post #8 of 17 Old 11-23-2007, 12:00 PM
Banned

Another thing, in the article on the guy that builds the 100mpg H2s he says that the GM techs who saw his Hummer on the way to SEMA said "They told us it couldn't be done."

Personally, I think Global Warming is a sham. I think our climate goes through stages and we're entering a warm stage. I think that these stages are a result of axial shift or wobble and not "greenhouse gasses." Therefore, I think it's a far more immediate need to become independent and not rely on foreign resources than it is to increase gas mileage and reduce emissions.

Last edited by Devryn; 11-23-2007 at 12:03 PM.
post #9 of 17 Old 11-23-2007, 08:57 PM
ModernCamaro.com Founder / Former Camaro Disciple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devryn View Post
Personally, I think Global Warming is a sham. I think our climate goes through stages and we're entering a warm stage. I think that these stages are a result of axial shift or wobble and not "greenhouse gasses." Therefore, I think it's a far more immediate need to become independent and not rely on foreign resources than it is to increase gas mileage and reduce emissions.
I agree 100% with that.
30 years ago the big thing was "global cooling".
All this hype about it is really lame.

2001 Camaro Z28 H/C/I LH6 A4 3.42

Like ModernCamaro.com on Facebook!
post #10 of 17 Old 11-23-2007, 10:05 PM

"Big oil" does us all a service, bringing precious gasoline to us in thousands of locations at the lowest possible price.

Sure they make lots of money, but if you compare with other industries, you'll find margins are slim.

If you want to take part of the profits, buy some stock in the oil companies.

Cheers, Steve SSOA F00-1363 CCSD #204
2000 Camaro SS Lt. Pewter, neutral leather, M6, Hurst, PEG2, ASR, defogger
SLP Chrome ZR1's, D-D exhaust, Bilstein, Castrol, cover, mats, fobs
BMR STB, SLP !CAGS, AAM Diff cover, Chrome Hood Insert, Zaino
Dyno'd at 312 RWHP, 321 RWT
http://camaroclubofsandiego.org
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page