CTS Wagon observations... - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 02-14-2012, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

CTS Wagon observations...

Ok, so it's been a bit over 6 months since we got the then-still-new 2010 CTS Wagon (July 2011). For whatever reason, they weren't great sellers. And now, I STILL don't know why...

Exterior:

The car, while still a 4-door, has some very sexy lines to it. And I'd never thought I'd say that about a 4-door, let alone a wagon. It's not even a V series, but yet has a very aggressive look to its stance, the way the tires fill the wheel wells, the optional polished wheels look great against the diamond tintcoat and the subtle flare of the wheel wells. The fit of the chrome and trim are above average, but some of the panel fits around the bottom of the car aren't much better than a Chevrolet. That's not a knock on Chevy, but you would think a 45K MSRP for a CTS, they'd pay a bit more attention to panel fit. Maybe I'm a bit more picky but it IS a Cadillac and I expect more. Also, the tail light upper tips are supposed to be double sticky taped to the back of the top chrome trim rails, and it's obviously not holding as now there's about a half-inch gap there. Found out it seems it's not an isolated problem with the wagons. Still debating whether to take it back to the dealer for that. Doesn't hurt anything functionally, but I do get the wash mitt caught on the taillight tips if I'm not real careful. It's kind of unacceptable, really.

Interior:

The interior is nicely appointed, and it an obvious step above the Camaro. The tactile feel of the interior makes you feel as if things were made out of quality materials but yet still fully functional and easy to use once you get used to the controls. The seat heaters can fry bacon even on the coldest days, so you got to be a bit careful on high settings. The seats aren't quite as cushy as you may think they'd be, but I actually prefer the firmness. Some people may not though.

I sure do wish they had a dual memory seat on the Camaro. I absolutely love that feature on the Caddy.

The space-- OMG! This car is great! Never had a wagon before, and although we don't use it as a truck or SUV, you almost could. Lots of space in the back, and with the optional cargo pull privacy cover nobody knows what you got back there. The versatility is there, and it's a very nice option. Plus, having the optional pet net to keep the pups in the cargo area, it's great for hauling the dogs to/from the vet.

Ride:

It's got the "performance package" on it so the suspension is tweaked a little vs. the regular CTS, but in comparison to the Camaro, it's ride is nearly flawless. The wider track than most sedans keeps a nimble feel yet confident of its handling capabilites. On a straight road, it's smooth as glass and the insulation keeps it a very quiet ride. Bumps are taken well, but this is where you can feel the stiffness of the suspension.

Performance:

No real issues here-- except ONE. In a minute I'll get to that. The V6 is plenty of engine for the car and what it's used for. It starts easily and throttle response is excellent. Lacking in the power department when you compare it to the Camaro V8, but that's totally expected. Mileage is good for a V6, but it is a heavier car than it looks.

Now, the ONE issue I have with it. And it's not really performance, but noise level. The dang DI engine and the fuel delivery system is NOISY!! Almost to the point of embarrassing. The fabled LS1 piston slap sounds like a marshmallow hitting a foam wall in comparison. But unlike the LS1, this doesn't go away. No matter what, the sound is there. Dealer says its normal, other Caddy owners say its normal. Now I will say you can hardly hear it from inside the car, but outside the car it sounds like marbles are rolling around clacking under the hood. It's not obnoxious, but still. I keep forgetting to take it back to the dealer to complain. I believe there are insulation "fixes" or patches to help reduce the annoying noise, but it still sucks. It's almost embarrassing, really. But it doesn't affect the car's performance though. It's like having a blotchy spot of paint on the hood. It doesn't affect how the car goes, but constantly noticed by the owner as an embarrassment. Caddys just shouldn't clatter. Sorry.

Overall:

While there's always little nitpicks, the overall satisfaction I feel from this car purchase is evident. Would I pay sticker for it? Meh, maybe not. Haven't yet, so why start now? But the deal we got on it you simply couldn't beat it. It proves itself worthy every time we drive it. And at first I wondered if we should have opted for the CTS 2-door, but now I know it was the right choice for what we use it for. It's almost paid off already, and that makes (3) 2010 vehicles in our stable now. We plan on keeping the car for a good while.

Collectively, it's still a thumbs up, GM!!

2010 2SS/RS Auto, Sunroof, Engine Cover. Transformer Edition package.
2013 ZL1 ragtop #5478. 1 of 54 CRT M6 'verts.
post #2 of 4 Old 02-14-2012, 03:19 PM
2016 Camaro 1SS

Nice review thanks ! I love the idea of having a wagon but my wife just doesn't care for them. So maybe that is why? lol. probably not the reason but my reason
post #3 of 4 Old 02-15-2012, 03:14 PM
Supporting Super Moderator

we searched for a wagon and couldnt find one around us. the others that were a distance away didnt have the options we wanted, even the 1 v was a color i dont like, so the coupe won. the 3.0 that was in the lacrosse wasnt great fuel wise, it always hugged a higher rpm, now maybe that was a buick program. It was a major factor in wanting the 3.6 and amazingly the fuel economy is better. She drives the coupe everyday. i usually drive it on weekends and really like it, i find it has a familiar feel. The wagon would have been slightly more useful to us, then again we do have the Hearses to fill that void. im sure the wagon's drive is close to the feel of the coupe. overall it was a tough choice between the 2 for us.

2010 Camaro RS SS LS3 (Bumble Bee) Vin#192 & 8 others made by GM and one Christine
post #4 of 4 Old 02-17-2012, 01:54 PM
Camaro Focus Group Member

great write up. glad you are happy with the wagon i would definitely take it in to have those tail lights fixed. i also think the dual memory seats are just the coolest invention ever. sadly my CTS coupe is a base and doesn't have that option either.

and that's weird about the engine noise. the 3.0 in the lacrosse was quiet as a mouse. i remember having a crazy grinding sounding noise on my 05 GTO that ended up being some underhood padding around the radiator that had come loose and the dealer fixed it. maybe it's something like that?? i know Caddys have some extra sound deadening material.

as Scott said... the one complaint i ended up having with the 3.0 in the lacrosse was the fact that it kept itself in its powerband. and while that was nice for the get-up-and-go, it killed the gas mileage. if i put it in manual mode and shifted it myself, i would get 2mpg better without changing my driving habits, just shifting it and keeping the RPM between 1000 and 1500 (instead of where it wanted to be at 1500-2000). the 3.6 does get better mileage cuz it keeps itself at 1000-1500 on its own lovin' that.

i'm so glad you like the wagon. i'm sorry i still never even got to drive one. the dealers around here have no imagination and i couldn't find one in the whole state of LA (they also suck when it comes to colors. i really wanted opulent blue and the closest one i could find was 10 hours away in FL) but at least silver is a nice color and won't make me lose my mind trying to keep it show-car clean.

"All alone in my funeral home, playing in blood, there's just got to be something wrong with me" -Slayer-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page