Welcome 2 new (to me) vehicles and retirement for my DD GTO - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 03-20-2012, 02:52 AM Thread Starter

Welcome 2 new (to me) vehicles and retirement for my DD GTO

Well I finally retired the GTO from DD status. For those who don't know it's an 05 PBM 6M that I've driven 100 miles daily to work and back since 07 (I think). It's accumulated 163K hard miles and hasn't taken to it very well. This car is made to cruise not beat on obviously and mine definately has proved that. So meet it's replacement without much grandstand.

My new to me 92 Mighty Max. I had one of these in high school and got over 300K on it and loved it since. To me it has the best body lines of all the mini trucks. The truck isn't much special but the story on how it came to where it is now is the story of my life "WTF now" and kind of funny so I thought I'd share it.

I have been riding my co-worker for years to buy the truck from him. I knew it had all new ball joints, tie rods and wheel bearings on the front. The truck wasn't running at the time because he started tearing the front down to replace what he thought was a bad balance shaft belt. He got injured in a motorcycle wreck, recieved a decent settlement and decided to sell it for 900$. Cool I bought it, got it home and immediately went to replacing the balance shaft belt.

Fully pulling it apart somehow the woodruff key had sheared eating the gears up in the process. ****. Well 2 new gears and belts later and she fired right up. Wait, what the hell is that sound? Son of a buck toothed rabbit, dang rod knocking. Time to pull the motor. Yank it out flip it over and sure enough theres no bearing left on rod #3. So begins the tear down process. In the process of tearing the engine down. the ring lands on the pistons crumble. SOB. Oh well 209K miles had to expect that right. No problem order some more, Ebay here I come.

New pistons and rebuild kits arrive and I dive in. At this time I also rebuild the trans and get a new torque converter while I'm waiting on my crank to come back from getting turned. Ring, ring, ring,...... Hello?.... Yes the crankshaft you dropped of to get turned has a problem....facepalm... the snout is bent and fixing the keyway would cost more than a new one. Dooooh. Now I'm starting to rethink what I'm into this truck already, **** near 1600 at this point. Oh well I'm committed now. Bought a new crank kit.

Now we're cooking. Send the newly reconditioned rods to get pressed on the new pistons. Next day I get a call. Turns out the rods don't fit the pistons. WTF!?!?! As it turns out Mitsubishi changed the internals slightly halfway through 92 making the journals for the wrist pins larger and faces narrower than the older ones like mine. Something I didn't know about when ordering the pistons. Well, several DSM forum questions later, turns out I have a popular swap combination of newer pistons and older rods and can have the rods machined to fit the new pistons because they are stronger than the replacements. OK, so I send them off with the proper specs and get them pressed on too.

Now everything on the bottom end is basically new, so fially everything gets bolted back in place. New bottom end, top end vatted cleaned etc, new plugs wires cap etc, etc. Time for moment of truth. It starts right up. Runs decent but notice its a little rough. Look around and notice the MAF is unplugged. Soon as I plug it up it dies. Won't run at all with it hooked up and makes the manifold glow (this isn't a turbo) with it unhooked. Grrrrrrrr need a new one.

The new one arrives and is installed. Runs good. Do several short term drives around town to check how it runs, installed a new stereo system and tint the windows. So far so good. Now for the first big road test 100 mile road trip to Lowes for some wood for my honey do porch project. On the way back loaded with wood I notice a roaring like a wheel bearing........Really? I just did this on the GTO!!!!! Can't tell where it's comming from but my co-worker tells me he replaced the fronts. OK sounds about right and besides the driver side rear wheel has gear oil over it.

So off the wheels go. WTF is this contraption? It seems Mitsubishi has one of the oddest wheel bearing setups out there requiring having some funny collet pressed on and there is no way of removing it without cutting it. It's hard to explain but bottom line I couldn't do it and had to pay to get it done. 350$ later (bearings, collets, seals and labor) and it's back together. Road test time. **** thing still roars! SOB!!! Off the fronts go.

It's a non-sealed hub setup like Fords 2 sets of bearings. Pull the passeger side because I can hear scrubbing. Bearings seem new at first validating my co worker. Look inside the hub and see tons of metal shavings all in the grease. I can't do anything but shake my head. Yep the bearings were replaced but the grease wasn't cleaned out and the former bearing pieces (that disetigrated BTW) made it's way into everythig. 2 more bearings replaced.

Time for the driver side check. Tearing it down I notice the nut was not tightened properly, imagine that. Pulling it apart, everything looked alright, but there was uneven wear patterns on edges from the hub not riding correctly. 2 more bearings, and dammit I'm not taking any more chances and get 4 new tires while I'm at it (shout out to tire rack thanks for lighting fast delivery).

Now the funny part, taking the truck, with the wife, to have the tires put on at my local tire shop and low and behold in the lot with a for sale sign is a 1977 Ford F100. Fuuuuuuuuuudge! That's my wife's dream truck (dunno why but she's always wanted one) and it is cherry. Original XLT 400M 2v, C6, old school Cragars, 275/60's. New windows and rubber, grille and bumpers, paint, headliner, dash cover, carpet, steering wheel and column, all new lights, sockets and lenses, and on and on. Looks like a time warp. 6900 on the window. She's all teary eyed because it's exactly like she wants. Funny because we just filed our taxes and were expecting a 6500 check any day now and had planned to pay off some stuff. Oh brother, what to do. I made the call, she's crying now, asking about the bills we were going to pay off. I say don't worry about it we're making it fine we'll make it longer. A tad over 1 more year until all 3 vehicle loans are paid off anyway. Talked him down to 6700.

So now we have 2 more in the stable. One a daily driver (so far so good 1 month in), one a weeked only driver. Polar opposites in every respect. Enough of the long story on to the pics.

Mitsu first. Interior looks better than outside so no pics, decent gas mileage and the AC works great!

Now the Ford.

2000 Red 1SC Z28 A4 - dead for now
2005 Black GTO M6 6.0 - Split daily driver
1987 Silver Fiero GT - Split daily driver
post #2 of 6 Old 03-20-2012, 06:11 AM
Support MC & Troops

Wow.. long story, congrats on the two trucks

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Getting way pumped up ..LOL(Never giving up !)

The all new Convertible (Born 1/11/11) !, Welcome to the Fleet !
SHADOW 2013 GBA 2SS/RS A6 Vert (2/13/14)
"FROST 2011 SIM LT1 A6 " FIRST VERT MOTM AUGUST 2013
*PROTESTING GM*
"GIVE ME MY13'IBM ZL1 vert GM!"
post #3 of 6 Old 03-20-2012, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
Congrats, My brother had one of those with 3 on the tree.. Loved that truck...

2013 LT2/RS, Crystal Red Metallic, TAZ Jr.
2016 H-D Ultra Classic, Black Fire Purple, (PPE)
2015 H-D Street Glide, Superior Blue. (Old Blue) Traded
2012 Big Horn, RAM, Crew Cab, SLT, Dark Cherry Red Pearl (Betty Boop)
1998 Honda Accord 2d, daily driver.
post #4 of 6 Old 03-20-2012, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodhoodrat View Post
Wow.. long story, congrats on the two trucks
Lol ya know but you wouldn't get the gist of a several month ordeal with that I'll pain in the butt.

2000 Red 1SC Z28 A4 - dead for now
2005 Black GTO M6 6.0 - Split daily driver
1987 Silver Fiero GT - Split daily driver
post #5 of 6 Old 03-21-2012, 10:05 AM
Support MC & Troops

Quote:
Originally Posted by slims00ls1z28 View Post
Lol ya know but you wouldn't get the gist of a several month ordeal with that I'll pain in the butt.
I'm sure you'll miss the GTO... Thx much for sharing

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Getting way pumped up ..LOL(Never giving up !)

The all new Convertible (Born 1/11/11) !, Welcome to the Fleet !
SHADOW 2013 GBA 2SS/RS A6 Vert (2/13/14)
"FROST 2011 SIM LT1 A6 " FIRST VERT MOTM AUGUST 2013
*PROTESTING GM*
"GIVE ME MY13'IBM ZL1 vert GM!"
post #6 of 6 Old 03-28-2012, 05:45 PM
Camaro Focus Group Member

Wow! That mitsu sounds like a real bag of snakes. I think that's how this hearse we just got is gonna end up being. Congrats on getting it all running... and on the cherry ford

"All alone in my funeral home, playing in blood, there's just got to be something wrong with me" -Slayer-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page