Computer knowledgeable person Answer a quick Question regarding Windows XP? PLZ!! - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 11-28-2007, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Question Computer knowledgeable person Answer a quick Question regarding Windows XP? PLZ!!

Hello. If you are familiar with PC & windows XP, could you please help me out. I was cleaning up my hard drive trying to optimize system & when going through my installed programs came across 168 Windows XP Hotfix, UPDATES for XP, & XP Security Updates files. If I delete these installed programs will it mess up my system? Is it safe to delete them? Will I loose the update information? I never realized how much space the updates took. Thank you for taking your time to read my thread & your help is appreciated. Happy Holidays.
post #2 of 30 Old 11-28-2007, 08:56 PM

As far as i know, i wouldn't mess with it

Its not worth the space u save to take windows updates away that protect your pc from failure

thats my experience anyway!
post #3 of 30 Old 11-28-2007, 08:58 PM
ModernCamaro.com Founder / Former Camaro Disciple

Yeah, I would definitely just leave them be.

2001 Camaro Z28 H/C/I LH6 A4 3.42

Like ModernCamaro.com on Facebook!
post #4 of 30 Old 11-28-2007, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

I was going to leave them alone but figured if they could be deleted somebody would know. Thanks. My PC is all cleaned up now going much faster.
post #5 of 30 Old 11-28-2007, 09:37 PM

even if you did delete them, or rather uninstalled them, the next time you did a windows update, it would just reinstall them. and yes they usually have a purpose so just leave em be. when you do the windows update, dont do the quick, but do the custom, then you can choose which ones you install and which ones you dont need. then you wont be downloading unneccessary files

1986 Camaro Berlinetta (originally)-now a nitrous breathing 383 stroker

1992 Camaro RS - pretty much stock (only to keep its 25th anniversary edition book value)

all the other Camaros were sold
post #6 of 30 Old 11-28-2007, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

I have my Windows Updates set to Automatically install as I do not want to worry about doing it. I have had my PC for maybe 4 years or so & 168 files is not too bad. Thanks for the input should have just went with my gut instincts. They seem to be doing good lately. If I would have listened to them Thanksgiving night my beloved Talon might still be keepable. On Thanksgiving night on the way home from inlaws talon started to make "ticking" noise. We knew it was in the motor but were only maybe 2 miles away. With 2 toddlers being in the car & it freezing, being Thanksgiving we figured we would drive it easy. Just as my husband tells me not to stomp it I threw it in Nuetral to coast down an incline & at about 20 miles an hour we heard the dreadful snap. Had we went with our instincts of having car towed right then & there (when we first heard ticking) Balance Shaft belt would not have snapped in Interferance Motor & car would have been fixable for us. Since it is not TSI we are selling to get TSI. Anybody know of any for sale near PA let me know. Has to be 90 or 91 & HAS to be AWD, MANUAL, & TURBO of course. Now mine is listed on ebay going to highest bidder. I am going to miss that car.

Current Collection
86 Trans Am - 350 Crate 700 R4 w/ 650 Holley 4 Barrel
87 GTA - 305 TPI w/ T5
93 Custom Toyota 4Runner SR5
94 Custom Honda Accord LX

Previously Owned
85 2.8MPFI Firebird, 87 2.8 MPFI Firebird, 88 Jasper 2.8 Formula Clone, 89 Formula 305TBI, 87 Firebird 305HO
post #7 of 30 Old 11-29-2007, 05:41 AM
Veteran Member

The **** thing set it to auto install without my permission, pissed me off because there were some things I DIDN'T want installed. Now it downloads and installs them and pops up with a piss-annoying window like every 5 minutes "WINDOWS WILL SHUT DOWN IN FIVE MINUTES".

Gee, thanks.

If only there was a game-friendly Linux distro.

And if any of you say "Just use Wine!" I'm going to e-stab you.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster.
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #8 of 30 Old 11-29-2007, 07:36 AM Thread Starter

Luwinkle go into your setting & change the automatic update to do it automatically without notifying you or take it off. Control Panel - Security - Automatic Updates.

Current Collection
86 Trans Am - 350 Crate 700 R4 w/ 650 Holley 4 Barrel
87 GTA - 305 TPI w/ T5
93 Custom Toyota 4Runner SR5
94 Custom Honda Accord LX

Previously Owned
85 2.8MPFI Firebird, 87 2.8 MPFI Firebird, 88 Jasper 2.8 Formula Clone, 89 Formula 305TBI, 87 Firebird 305HO
post #9 of 30 Old 11-29-2007, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member

Tbh, I'm too lazy.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster.
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #10 of 30 Old 11-29-2007, 04:56 PM

First off.... Mac is much better...

Secondly, do not delete the updates. Even if you delete old updates, most of the time the new updates need the old updates. Could cause problems, and Windows would just re-install them anyway.

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - First car (Traded it in)
1985 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS - Being Restored
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt - Current Car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page