Keep track of your Gas - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 11-29-2007, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Lightbulb Keep track of your Gas

Hello. If anybody knows the answer please let me know. It has become very apparent lately that the possibility of gas stations putting things in gas to make our cars eat it up faster is a true concern. I have been keeping close documentaion and thorough analysis on how each of my cars does on gas & at what gas station. I have noticed for awhile that some gas stations weights seem to be out of the proper measurements as you do not get as much gas as you should. How convenient. I have also been noticing that depending on what gas station (not based on company but individual gas station) your gas mileage varies greatly. Since my Talon took a crap I pulled my 4runner out of the garage. Since it is a gas pig I have been monitoring it VERY closely as I want to get the most mileage for my money & have the best performance as well. Over the last 6 days since I travel so much I pretty much filled it each day at different gas stations. I have experienced this in the past as well but it was not as obvious with my other cars as it has been with the 4runner. Of the 2 gas stations I went to I go almost 280 miles per tank. The other 2 I got alot less. Went to Sunoco was on "E" filled it up nearly $50 and 150 Miles later found myself on "E" again. Went to another Gas station & got 260 miles from full gas tank, 3rd gas station 276 & 4th gas station (went back to same gas station I got 150 miles from to confirm my first finding ) sure enough got 170 out of that tank. That is almost a difference of 100 miles. Filled it up again, another gas station so far drove 35 miles & gas gauge has YET to move. Has anybody else noticed anything like this? I am baffled at the 100 mile difference & I know my gas gauge is accurate & the truck is running perfect. Does anybody know if they are adding additives to the fuel? Thanks for the input.
post #2 of 18 Old 11-29-2007, 05:22 PM

I hate to say it but I have noticed it too. Now I won't buy gas from any other than amaco. Bp, sunco, other and I was buying 93 with the performance of 87. I always watch the mpg on the computer on my gto. When I went from 32 to 25 on the highway with fresh oil and a fresh air filter I knew something was wrong with the gas. I only have 9500 miles on this car so I'd bet we are both victims of a bait and switch or some other swindle these ghey bas***** are doing.
post #3 of 18 Old 11-29-2007, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc190 View Post
I hate to say it but I have noticed it too. Now I won't buy gas from any other than amaco. Bp, sunco, other and I was buying 93 with the performance of 87. I always watch the mpg on the computer on my gto. When I went from 32 to 25 on the highway with fresh oil and a fresh air filter I knew something was wrong with the gas. I only have 9500 miles on this car so I'd bet we are both victims of a bait and switch or some other swindle these ghey bas***** are doing.
I am glad it is not just me. I was freaking out. Every mile we drove I could see the gas gauge moving. It sucks on gas but not like that. After I was on "e" I looked at gauge and seen the low gas mileage & was pretty upset. Its bad enough they are making BILLIONs off of us now they got to rip us off more. Maybe with a new president moving in, one that does not own an oil refinery something will give. We can only hope. I wonder what they are putting in it to make it do that - probably messing up peoples fuel injectors & other things. Also be forewarned when I was working at a auto repair shop I seen a car come in ONLY ever used SHELL & HESS had alot of problems with lack of horsepower then just stopped running. They dropped the tank & found more then 2 gallons of water. When we called the gas station to tell them they said " Oh we must have had water get into our system somehow" I doubt it was somehow, I think it was intentional. I wonder if enough people find out about it if we could have a class action lawsuit against some of the companies. Beware where you pump!! Thanks for confirming my theory.
post #4 of 18 Old 11-29-2007, 05:37 PM

The only way to really monitor your gasoline usage is to record the miles and gallons for each tank. Get a receipt for every tank, note the odometer reading on it. Put the numbers into Excel or something similar and make a chart. You can see your mileage very clearly.

Be careful, though, it is easy to fill your tank unevenly. Different nozzles can cut off differently from each other for example. Getting the tank filled to exactly the same level each time is not possible. So, when you view your chart, you'll see a zig-zag line. You have to draw a mental line through the highs and lows to get a real picture.

I've been keeping track of my mileage for decades. You can tell by looking at the charts when I've gone on vacation, because the MPG is much higher on long trips than on local trips.

Gas at most stations is indistinguishable from gas at other stations. The only difference between brands is the small amount of additives the different brands add to make thier product "special."

If a station added something to decrease your MPG, customers would soon notice and quit going there. The exception is E85. You can expect about 15% less MPG with E85 than with ordinary gas, ethanol has less heat content per unit volume than gasoline. Diesel, on the other hand, has more heat content, that's one of the reasons diesels get a bit better MPG than similar gas engines.

Cheers, Steve SSOA F00-1363 CCSD #204
2000 Camaro SS Lt. Pewter, neutral leather, M6, Hurst, PEG2, ASR, defogger
SLP Chrome ZR1's, D-D exhaust, Bilstein, Castrol, cover, mats, fobs
BMR STB, SLP !CAGS, AAM Diff cover, Chrome Hood Insert, Zaino
Dyno'd at 312 RWHP, 321 RWT
http://camaroclubofsandiego.org
post #5 of 18 Old 11-29-2007, 05:54 PM

Interesting. I have friends who own gas stations and found out some interesting info. Most gas comes from the same place, only the additive package is different based on who is getting the gas. Gas prices are determined by local demographics meaning those areas that are more affluent will have higher prices.
post #6 of 18 Old 11-29-2007, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

When I document gas I do monitor my mileage. I wait until I am nearly on "e" then I fill it until you can see it at the top usually around 15 gallons. I have usage charts & graphs to document it. I keep very in depth information on my cars. Maybe the one has ethanol I do not know but there is definitely a MAJOR difference between some gas stations. I am in PA & I have been noticing it for a couple mths now. Alot of gas stations DO rip you off with how much gas they give you. I swear sometimes they give you 1/2 Gallon for the price of a gallon. I could put 15 gallons ( how big my tanks is ) & only have a little over a 1/2 tank. I do not know anybody who owns a gas station and maybe your friends are legitimate owners but I doubt alot of owners are as honest. There may be some underground things going on that they do not know about but there is definitely a difference depending on where I go.
post #7 of 18 Old 11-29-2007, 06:41 PM
Veteran Member

I keep track of my mileage by doing some quick math..I reset my tripometer everytime I fill. Then when it comes time to fill again I write down that number on the tripometer on the receipt..go home(or whever there is a calculator) and divide how many gallons I put in into what the tripometer says. Pretty accurate way to tell MPG. Last winter I was getting 13mpg..now I'm getting 16-18 ish. Depends on my lead foot.

I don't go to BP anymore, the only one around here is ALWAYS atleast 20 cents higher than everyone else, I either go to Speedway or Thorton's(or circle K from time to time, dunno what type of gas those have, but those are the places I go to).

Or this little mom and pop Fivestar from time to time.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster.
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #8 of 18 Old 11-29-2007, 07:44 PM
ModernCamaro.com Founder / Former Camaro Disciple

Check out the labels on the pumps... it'll say somewhere on the pumps what percentage of Ethanol is in it.

For example, here in Chicagoland, all gas is E10 (10% ethanol).
When I go out of the area, Kentucky for example, they have true gasoline, E0. 0% ethanol. Gas mileage is noticeably different between the two.

Perhaps you live in an area where both are available? Just a thought.

2001 Camaro Z28 H/C/I LH6 A4 3.42

Like ModernCamaro.com on Facebook!
post #9 of 18 Old 11-29-2007, 08:00 PM
Veteran Member

Well, last winter I replaced an O2 sensor. I guess it has 'broken in' since then.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster.
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #10 of 18 Old 11-29-2007, 08:01 PM

There are alot more factors to take into account as well. When trying compare different brands the test criteria need to be the same. Merely saying you got gas at station a that lasted x amount and b that lasted x amount where are these located? Do you have to go through 6 lights to get to one an none to get to the other? Are alot of hills or different traffic conditions in city driving. On day a were you running later than day c? When you got 250 miles how much was highway? How many times did you make quick stop runs etc. What time of day and temps did you fill? (fill by weight so it actually makes a little bit of difference in temps though not drastic). Test the criteria in as close to the same conditions as possible and see if the results are the same. I know some weeks I can get 300 out of the goat sometims 120. And I fill the same place everytime. Depends if I play or if I do alot more inner city driving. 10$ usually gets me back and forth to work per day when I do nothing but highway. But if I take it through the city and/or play a little I can sometimes double that.

2000 Red 1SC Z28 A4 - dead for now
2005 Black GTO M6 6.0 - Split daily driver
1987 Silver Fiero GT - Split daily driver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page