Finally got my dream car! - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 05-14-2012, 03:10 AM Thread Starter

Finally got my dream car!

Call me crazy but it's not some exotic, supercar, hyper rare muscle car or even a new car, it's just a little old Fiero. 87 GT to be exact. I've wanted one since I was a kid but could never find one at a condition/price I was willing to pay for until recently. I was stuck on 88's for a while until I found out lowering and rim/tire choices were much easier/better with the pre 88 suspension. Sold my little Mitsubishi truck for what I needed to obtain it and picked it up. 218K and still runs great. All stock, mechanically pretty sound (needs brakes and bearing on AC compressor), completely intact and rather unmolested, (fire suppression system installed by previous owner to compete in autocross). Came with a new no name t3/4 hybrid turbo still in plastic which I sold for enough to score a decent 3800 supercharged engine from a Riviera. Interior has the usual interior issues with the plastic warping around the console but that's about it. Fairly clean and no cracks rips or tears.

It's eventual heart transplant

I'm getting my GTO and Z28 back up to par so it's going to stay as is for a while. Rebuilding the LS2 in the GTO and returning it to stock now and will be putting the cam etc in a 5.3L I picked up for the Camaro. GTO should be back on the road this week, hopefully next month the Z will breathe again. For the meantime I'm loving my little "mini DeLorean", it's not as fast as the GTO or Camaro (was) but is more fun to drive than either so far. I plan on hopping the 3.8 a tad to around the 325-350 HP area with the trans out of the Rivieria (paddle shifted) and some suspension mods and using it as my corner carving turn burner. LSx power would be nice but the 3800 swap is much easier and cheaper and should be plenty fast. Maybe for my second Fiero........

2000 Red 1SC Z28 A4 - dead for now
2005 Black GTO M6 6.0 - Split daily driver
1987 Silver Fiero GT - Split daily driver
post #2 of 10 Old 05-14-2012, 12:14 PM
Camaro Focus Group Member

Awesome! Love the Fieros that thing should scream with the blown 3.8

"All alone in my funeral home, playing in blood, there's just got to be something wrong with me" -Slayer-
post #3 of 10 Old 05-14-2012, 01:06 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
I used to have an 86 2m4... Black.. i loved that little car!

2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6spd 426hp
December 2013 Member of the Month
post #4 of 10 Old 05-14-2012, 02:40 PM
Support MC & Troops

congrats bro +

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Getting way pumped up ..LOL(Never giving up !)

The all new Convertible (Born 1/11/11) !, Welcome to the Fleet !
SHADOW 2013 GBA 2SS/RS A6 Vert (2/13/14)
"FROST 2011 SIM LT1 A6 " FIRST VERT MOTM AUGUST 2013
*PROTESTING GM*
"GIVE ME MY13'IBM ZL1 vert GM!"
post #5 of 10 Old 05-19-2012, 12:35 PM

Garage
It looks pretty clean! I still want a Grand National, thats my dream car.

post #6 of 10 Old 05-19-2012, 02:00 PM
Premium Member

Garage
That little Fiero is gonna scream with that blown 6 in it! Are you going to kit out the body? There's loads of exotic body kits for it, interiors too.

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
Click the pic.. I don't tolerate fools.
post #7 of 10 Old 05-19-2012, 04:46 PM

When I was growing up a guy down the street from me had one with a V8 in it with a pretty healthy sounding cam and I use to just drool over that every time he drove bye and swore that I would own one some day.

How hard is the swap?
post #8 of 10 Old 05-20-2012, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotpa View Post
That little Fiero is gonna scream with that blown 6 in it! Are you going to kit out the body? There's loads of exotic body kits for it, interiors too.
I will change the interior with one of Amida F355 kits just because the interior design leaves alot to be desired but I'll not install Ferrari badges, but as far as the body goes It's staying Pontiac. Going to add a hood vent for stability (front end gets very light at highway speeds) and the side vents for functional ram air and an intercooler and upgrade to the HID headlight buckets to improve lighting while keeping the flip up headlights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
When I was growing up a guy down the street from me had one with a V8 in it with a pretty healthy sounding cam and I use to just drool over that every time he drove bye and swore that I would own one some day.

How hard is the swap?
For the 3800 not to bad they're about the same size. I can either make custom motor and trans mounts or buy those already fabbed up. Same with the wiring. It's such a common swap that there are plenty of conversion harnesses and mount kits for this swap. Since the whole cradle drops from the bottom fairly easy once you have the mounts it's almost a direct swap. Gotta custom make an axleshaft from 2 different ones but from what I've researched it shouldn't be very tough. Kind of similar to changing a 6cyl car to a V8 car, mounts and harnesses mostly. Fits quite well.

For the LS engines or most other V8's it's a bit different. Have to have all sorts of custom stuff done. Battery relocation, decklid hinges modified, mounts, narrow harmonic balancer, electric water pumps mounted on firewalls or extended pulleys passing through the wheelwell or in LS applications modified LS4 waterpumps, notches here and there, intakes flipped around (LS's), adapter plates for transmissions. There's kits for them too but they require more and are a bit more expensive. All doable by DIYers but a bit more involved. Carbed SBC's are the easiest of V8 swaps and most common followed by Northstars, LT1's, then LS's. The hardest part used to be FWD transmissions that would hold up, now there's quite a few and adapters on the market for them all from V8archie and quite a few others.

I chose the SC3800 because it's the first one I found cheap of the candidates and is easier/cheaper than most of the V8 installs, and it should provide plenty of power to go quite fast.

2000 Red 1SC Z28 A4 - dead for now
2005 Black GTO M6 6.0 - Split daily driver
1987 Silver Fiero GT - Split daily driver
post #9 of 10 Old 05-21-2012, 02:22 PM

Great looking car, careful on the road the Fiero is so low people in SUV's have a hard time seeing them in the blind spot.
post #10 of 10 Old 05-21-2012, 03:39 PM
See You On Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckduck View Post
Great looking car, careful on the road the Fiero is so low people in SUV's have a hard time seeing them in the blind spot.
But head-on accidents are cool, because it's a wedge, and people fly off like rain on the windshield.

2010 Stock IBM 2SS/RS

I found $80 in my jeans pocket. The kid in me said "buy nerf guns and candy!" But then the adult in me said "buy vodka, nerf guns and candy!"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page