New AMPLIFIER Upgrade: PLEASE HELP w/ RECOMMENDATIONS - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 05-27-2012, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

New AMPLIFIER Upgrade: PLEASE HELP w/ RECOMMENDATIONS

Good Evening,

I want to apologize in advance for my uneducated knowledge and why I love this site to learn from all of you.

I tried searching forums and did not find what I was looking for, so I am hoping maybe posting a new thread might help.

In a nutshell, I am looking for some more power in my audio system. I have a 2012 LT1 with the Boston Acoustics 9 speaker system. Even though I think it sounds good I feel it lacks in volume when you really want to crank!

It is my understanding that the BA speakers in the car really are not that bad of speakers and that they just lack there full potential because the factory amp is not all that great. So am I correct that saying I should be hunting for a new AMP to replace the factory amp? And I should do this before considering changing out the speakers themselves?

So with that said? For those that have replaced there factory amps could you please tell me what you used when swapping. I also intend to add a bass enclosure. How many channels amp am I looking for? I see 2-4 & 5...Also what is a good wattage? BA seems to be 245W but I guess really only runs like 10W to each speaker?

Is swapping out an amp easy? Is it plug and play...Just remove old amp and plug in the existing wiring from the factory amp into the new one?

I also saw this searching on Crutchfield... would this be recommended:

2010 & Up Camaro Factory Fit Amp Mount

And as far as the adding a sub....What would you also recommend or have done? Single 10" Dual 10's? A 12? And also something else I saw was this... I originally was thinking most subs go behind the back seat but would this type of set up work and sound good? I just liked this side mount idea in case I ever needed to put down the back seat.

2010 Camaro Drivers Side Stealth Enclosure by Subthump

In the end I am just looking to add some more crank to my volume and some more thump with a nice snap thump bass not a boomy bass...I am giving myself a $1000 budget for everything but right now I would really like some help, recommendations and advice on starting with a decent amp!

Thank you all in advance for helping this newbie. I really appreciate it

Helicity
post #2 of 4 Old 05-28-2012, 04:29 AM
Premium Member

Garage
If you want solid bass, go with a sealed enclosure. As far as power goes...use your head. I'm sure the other drivers want to listen to their music too.

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
Click the pic.. I don't tolerate fools.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-28-2012, 09:42 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
You are on the right track with the Subthump stuff. I have Steve's drivers side enclosure:

2010 & Up Camaro Coupe Integrated Amp/Sub/Stealth Enclosure *New*

Though mine is an earlier one before they integrated the amp (my amp is in its own enclosure on the pass side).

I haven't needed to replace my stock BA amp. Mine is a 2010 and the amps were better than the later year replacements. So much so they were actually blowing out the speakers cuz folks were cranking them up from the get go rather than doing a gradual burn in....

Steve used to offer a drop-in replacement for the factory amp but I don't see it on his site. Maybe call him and ask about it. It was a 4 or 500w unit and came with his harness adapter for plug and play use.

Chuck
2010 SIM 2SS/RS A6 SC - Born on 10/05/09
MyCamaroBuildInfo

"You Were Really Flyin' When I Passed You Back There!"
February-2013-MOTM-Winner
post #4 of 4 Old 05-28-2012, 08:34 PM
Bully Proof

Garage
I agree about the sealed enclosure. I'm a heart pounding bass lover so I went with a Rockford Fosgate amp and two 10" subs and got wayyyyyyy more than I ever thought possible. I wouldn't trade what I have for any of the Subthump set-ups I've heard so far...no regrets here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page