I have nothing nice to say about Ebay... - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 Old 07-13-2012, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

I have nothing nice to say about Ebay...

I really hope they aren't a sponsor for this site because I have absolutely nothing nice to say about them right now. I think it is detestable to charge a person 9% for the final value of an item they sell. No wonder people on there charge soo much for stuff. Because after listing fees, final value fees, and paypal fees, you're pretty much gonna lose approximately $15 for every $100 you make. I made $400 selling some items a couple weeks ago and now I have an invoice for darn near $40. And that is just the final value fee. Add in the fact that you're gonna lose money because basically nobody has money these days and bids don't go as high as they used to. I severely undersold my items to significantly less than the next lowest price for similar items. I did that simply because I knew they weren't gonna fetch anywhere near what they are worth. And they only drew 1 bid each. So basically I just screwed myself by selling on there. In fact, the fees I paid for each item came out to more than UPS charged me to ship them. WTF....???!!! So Ebay made more money with absolutely no expenditure than UPS and the USPS who each have to spend money on personnel and delivery costs (airfare, gas, etc). I will NEVER sell on there again. For them to charge such exorbitant prices in this economy should be a crime in itself. I would have rather been robbed at gun point. They don't even tell you what the fees are gonna be if the items sell for the price you list them at. So you sell your stuff and then afterwards they hit you.

And I probably will never buy on there again either. From now on, if I see an item I want, I will contact the buyer and do a private purchase. But as far as I'm concerned, they are scum and I'll never use them for selling again.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
post #2 of 43 Old 07-13-2012, 09:36 AM

I feel it - Sell on Criagslist next time or dont under sell your product
post #3 of 43 Old 07-13-2012, 10:34 AM
ユキヒョウ

I don't care one way or the other, but........

Nobody forced you to sell your stuff on their auction site, and you are incorrect about not knowing what they will charge you. You know exactly what their fees are. You just failed to look and find out what those charges are.

**** Copied right from the "Fees for selling on Ebay" ******

Fees for selling on eBay
In this article
Insertion fees for auction-style format listings
Final value fees for auction-style format listings
Insertion fees for fixed price format listings
Final value fees for fixed price format listings
Business and Industrial equipment fees
Optional feature fees
Reserve price fees
Buy It Now fees
Listing upgrade fees
Seller tool fees
Half.com fees
Other terms

The basic cost of selling an item is the insertion fee plus the final value fee, plus fees for any optional features and services you may use:

When you list an item on eBay, you're charged an insertion fee.

If the item sells, you're also charged a final value fee. Final value fees are calculated based on the total amount of the sale.*

You may also be charged fees for any optional features or services you may use.

PayPal fees may also apply.

* The total amount of the sale equals the cost of the item, shipping charges, and any other amounts you may charge the buyer. Sales tax is not included in the total amount of the sale.

Insertion and final value fees vary based on the category and listing format you use, either auction-style or fixed price.

All fees are in US dollars.

Except as specified in the Parts & Accessories listing fees section of the eBay Motors fee page, the fee structures described on this page do not apply to eBay Motors, eBay Stores, Classified Ad, or Real Estate listings. Please see the fees below for more information.

View fees for: eBay.com | eBay Motors | eBay Stores | Classified Ad | Real Estate | PayPal
You can estimate what your insertion and final value fees will be for a specific listing with our fee calculator.

Use our fee illustrator to find out if an eBay Store is right for you—and which subscription is best for your needs.

Auction-style format listings
Starting or reserve price
Insertion fee

$0.01–$0.99

Free for 50 listings
per month * (exclusions apply)

$0.10

$1.00–$9.99
$0.25

$10.00–$24.99
$0.50

$25.00–$49.99
$0.75

$50.00–$199.99
$1.00

$200.00 or more
$2.00

*See our insertion fees page for applicable terms and limitations.

Total amount of the sale (less any sales tax)
Final value fee
(Based on the total amount of the sale )

Item not sold
No fee

$0.01 or more
9.0% of the total amount of the sale with a maximum charge of $250.00.

To learn more and see an example of a final value fee calculation, visit our final value fees page.

Insertion fee for fixed price format listings
Buy It Now price
Insertion fee

$0.99 or more
$0.50

Note: The insertion fee applies to each listing, regardless of the quantity of items in the listing.

To learn more, visit our insertion fees page.

Fixed price final value fees

Total amount of the sale
Electronics*
Clothing, Shoes and Accessories
Books, DVDs & Movies, Music, Video Games
All other categories

Item not sold
No fee
No fee
No fee
No fee

$0.99– $50.00
7.0% of the total amount of the sale
10.0% of the total amount of the sale
13.0% of the total amount of the sale
11.0% of the total amount of the sale

$50.01–$1000.00
7.0% of the initial $50.00, plus 5.0% of the remaining balance ($50.01–$1,000.00) of the total amount of the sale
10.0% of the initial $50.00, plus 8.0% of the remaining balance ($50.01–$1,000.00) of the total amount of the sale
13.0% of the initial $50.00, plus 5.0% of the remaining balance ($50.01–$1,000.00) of the total amount of the sale
11.0% of the initial $50.00, plus 6.0% of the remaining balance ($50.01–$1,000.00) of the total amount of the sale

$1000.01 or more
7.0% of the initial $50.00, plus 5.0% of the next $50.01–$1,000.00, plus 2.0% of the remaining balance ($1,000.01–total cost to buyer) of the total amount of the sale
10.0% of the initial $50.00, plus 8.0% of the next $50.01–$1,000.00, plus 2.0% of the remaining balance ($1,000.01–total cost to buyer) of the total amount of the sale
13.0% of the initial $50.00, plus 5.0% of the next $50.01–$1,000.00, plus 2.0% of the remaining balance ($1,000.01–total cost to buyer) of the total amount of the sale
11.0% of the initial $50.00, plus 6.0% of the next $50.01–$1,000.00, plus 2.0% of the remaining balance ($1,000.01–total cost to buyer) of the total amount of the sale

2019 1SS/1LE
post #4 of 43 Old 07-13-2012, 11:08 AM
Support MC & Troops

I hate Evil Bay....They claim to cover the buyer on their listing(s) but they will back out if you don't use Pay Pal !
Nope..haha...they still allow people to buy select items and use other methods of paying.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Getting way pumped up ..LOL(Never giving up !)

The all new Convertible (Born 1/11/11) !, Welcome to the Fleet !
SHADOW 2013 GBA 2SS/RS A6 Vert (2/13/14)
"FROST 2011 SIM LT1 A6 " FIRST VERT MOTM AUGUST 2013
*PROTESTING GM*
"GIVE ME MY13'IBM ZL1 vert GM!"
post #5 of 43 Old 07-13-2012, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2disturbedSS View Post
I feel it - Sell on Criagslist next time or dont under sell your product
I had my items listed on Craigslist for months but they didn't get any attention on that site. I have no idea why...

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

post #6 of 43 Old 07-13-2012, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancygrl View Post
I don't care one way or the other, but........

Nobody forced you to sell your stuff on their auction site, and you are incorrect about not knowing what they will charge you. You know exactly what their fees are. You just failed to look and find out what those charges are.

**** Copied right from the "Fees for selling on Ebay" ******

Fees for selling on eBay
In this article
Insertion fees for fixed price format listings
Business and Industrial equipment fees
Optional feature fees
Reserve price fees
Buy It Now fees
Listing upgrade fees
Seller tool fees
Half.com fees
Other terms

The basic cost of selling an item is the insertion fee plus the final value fee, plus fees for any optional features and services you may use:

When you list an item on eBay, you're charged an insertion fee.

If the item sells, you're also charged a final value fee. Final value fees are calculated based on the total amount of the sale.*

You may also be charged fees for any optional features or services you may use.

PayPal fees may also apply.

* The total amount of the sale equals the cost of the item, shipping charges, and any other amounts you may charge the buyer. Sales tax is not included in the total amount of the sale.

Insertion and final value fees vary based on the category and listing format you use, either auction-style or fixed price.

All fees are in US dollars.

Except as specified in the Parts & Accessories listing fees section of the eBay Motors fee page, the fee structures described on this page do not apply to eBay Motors, eBay Stores, Classified Ad, or Real Estate listings. Please see the fees below for more information.

View fees for: eBay.com | eBay Motors | eBay Stores | Classified Ad | Real Estate | PayPal
You can estimate what your insertion and final value fees will be for a specific listing with our fee calculator.

Use our fee illustrator to find out if an eBay Store is right for you—and which subscription is best for your needs.

Starting or reserve price
Insertion fee

$0.01–$0.99

Free for 50 listings
per month * (exclusions apply)

$0.10

$1.00–$9.99
$0.25

$10.00–$24.99
$0.50

$25.00–$49.99
$0.75

$50.00–$199.99
$1.00

$200.00 or more
$2.00

*See our insertion fees page for applicable terms and limitations.

Total amount of the sale (less any sales tax)
Final value fee

Item not sold
No fee

$0.01 or more
9.0% of the total amount of the sale with a maximum charge of $250.00.

To learn more and see an example of a final value fee calculation, visit our final value fees page.

Insertion fee for fixed price format listings
Buy It Now price
Insertion fee

$0.99 or more
$0.50

Note: The insertion fee applies to each listing, regardless of the quantity of items in the listing.

To learn more, visit our insertion fees page.

Fixed price final value fees

Total amount of the sale
Electronics*
Clothing, Shoes and Accessories
Books, DVDs & Movies, Music, Video Games
All other categories

Item not sold
No fee
No fee
No fee
No fee

$0.99– $50.00
7.0% of the total amount of the sale
10.0% of the total amount of the sale
13.0% of the total amount of the sale
11.0% of the total amount of the sale

$50.01–$1000.00
7.0% of the initial $50.00, plus 5.0% of the remaining balance ($50.01–$1,000.00) of the total amount of the sale
10.0% of the initial $50.00, plus 8.0% of the remaining balance ($50.01–$1,000.00) of the total amount of the sale
13.0% of the initial $50.00, plus 5.0% of the remaining balance ($50.01–$1,000.00) of the total amount of the sale
11.0% of the initial $50.00, plus 6.0% of the remaining balance ($50.01–$1,000.00) of the total amount of the sale

$1000.01 or more
7.0% of the initial $50.00, plus 5.0% of the next $50.01–$1,000.00, plus 2.0% of the remaining balance ($1,000.01–total cost to buyer) of the total amount of the sale
10.0% of the initial $50.00, plus 8.0% of the next $50.01–$1,000.00, plus 2.0% of the remaining balance ($1,000.01–total cost to buyer) of the total amount of the sale
13.0% of the initial $50.00, plus 5.0% of the next $50.01–$1,000.00, plus 2.0% of the remaining balance ($1,000.01–total cost to buyer) of the total amount of the sale
11.0% of the initial $50.00, plus 6.0% of the next $50.01–$1,000.00, plus 2.0% of the remaining balance ($1,000.01–total cost to buyer) of the total amount of the sale
No offense Nancy, but why would I list my items, sell them, and then come on here if I knew exactly what the fees were? So you're basically saying that I purposely cost myself over $50 (paypal fees plus final value fees) for absolutely no reason at all...yea because I just have loads of money laying around like that.

No matter how you slice it Ebay overcharges people. You sell something and they get money off of YOUR stuff. Stuff you already bought and own. And lets not forget they just lost a large case some recent time ago and had to pay out a large sum of money to a lot of people. Sure you defend them...but I'd like to hear your take when some large company makes 9% of your stuff...

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

post #7 of 43 Old 07-13-2012, 11:27 AM

If more people knew about the website SearchTempest Online Classifieds Search - All the Classifieds. One Search. then selling stuff on craigs list would be easier because you would reach a wider audience. searchtempest allows users to put in a mileage radius and the website will then search all craigs list city listings within that mileage radius. there is also a site like this that is specific for cars. That one is AutoTempest Used Car Search Engine - Everyone's ideal car is out there. Find yours..

Just need to get the word out about the websites to more people and then the buyer audience for your items will increase a lot more easily. I found these sites a while ago and I use it a lot when I'm searching for stuff to buy.

2002 Camaro SS / M6 - Bright Rally Red
2013 Camaro 2SS / 1LE - Victory Red
post #8 of 43 Old 07-13-2012, 12:13 PM

If you don't like ebay don't use them. Just like any other private enterprise, they have a right to take as much of your money as you'll give them.

Personally,I made more money parting-out my '74 LeSabre on ebay than the car was worth. And that's where I bought my '74 K5 Blazer and many parts.

Like any other tool, if you use it right it's a good deal. If you don't, you only have yourself to blame.
post #9 of 43 Old 07-13-2012, 12:28 PM
ユキヒョウ

^+1
Not defending ebay....All I was getting at, is they do list what they charge, so it's not a big unknown. I don't like paying 9% either but it's their auction site and are providing a means to sell/buy things.

2019 1SS/1LE

Last edited by Nancygrl; 07-13-2012 at 12:54 PM.
post #10 of 43 Old 07-13-2012, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
Have avoided them like the plague ever since someone hacked my account on their site and they tried some very unscrupulous things on me.... Had to send them a "preview" of my impending legal action to get them to back off...

Chuck
2010 SIM 2SS/RS A6 SC - Born on 10/05/09
MyCamaroBuildInfo

"You Were Really Flyin' When I Passed You Back There!"
February-2013-MOTM-Winner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page