Next Impala - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 12-21-2007, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Super Moderator
 
brandonppr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Middle TN
Posts: 5,668
 
Next Impala

I just read this today. Isn't this going to be in Malibu's terittory if its FWD?

http://www.forbes.com/opinions/2007/...1221flint.html

Foremost on Bob Lutz' agenda: what to do about the next-generation Chevy Impala sedan, GM's highest-volume car. The company had been working on a plan to make the next Impala a rear-wheel-drive vehicle, because rear drive offers some advantages in performance and handling, but this usually comes at the expense of efficiency in packaging and fuel economy.

"My personal preference is large, rear-wheel-drive cars," says Lutz. "My business preference is doing what is right for the shareholder and the public, in light of upcoming regulation on fuel economy. If there's a mile or two difference in fuel economy, you go for the one with the better economy. That's where the internal debate [on the Impala] is now--no firm decision at this point, but my guess is that we will come down on the side of the front-drive car."

1998 Camaro A4 7.06 @ 96.5 MPH NA 1.47 best 60ft
2010 Camaro Tube Chassis work in progress
brandonppr is offline  
post #2 of 10 Old 12-21-2007, 07:04 AM
Veteran Member
 
Luwinkle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 10,420
 
Pff, I would consider an Impala if it was RWD. But if it's just another FWD lose-mobile..then it wouldn't even make my list..or my secondary list..or even my tertiary list.



Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster.
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Luwinkle is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 12-21-2007, 09:25 AM
Senior Member
 
dshane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 637
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luwinkle View Post
Pff, I would consider an Impala if it was RWD. But if it's just another FWD lose-mobile..then it wouldn't even make my list..or my secondary list..or even my tertiary list.
Thats alot of lists.........is it a hobby?

2006 Dodge Charger Daytona

Top Banana! 0653 of 4000
dshane is offline  
post #4 of 10 Old 12-21-2007, 09:46 AM
Member
 
super60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Oshawa,Ont
Posts: 370
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luwinkle View Post
Pff, I would consider an Impala if it was RWD. But if it's just another FWD lose-mobile..then it wouldn't even make my list..or my secondary list..or even my tertiary list.
Yup ..thats why we build close to 400 thousand of them each year , because their "FWD lose-mobile's !!!" Please get your facts right..
super60 is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 12-21-2007, 10:14 AM
ModernCamaro.com Founder / Former Camaro Disciple
 
OctaneZ28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Posts: 11,842
           
Performance enthusiasts like us do prefer RWD cars, but in the midsize segment (and even most of the large sedan segment) FWD has been king for the past many years.
300,000 FWD Impala buyers every year.

I would love to see Impala go RWD, and it would be a fantastic car if built on Zeta.
But if it's a better business case for it not to, then I would welcome it staying FWD.

The only concern I would have of it staying FWD is that the W-chassis is getting old.
I wonder if there's a newer large FWD chassis they could move it to.

2001 Camaro Z28 H/C/I LH6 A4 3.42

Like ModernCamaro.com on Facebook!
OctaneZ28 is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 12-21-2007, 01:09 PM
Member
 
super60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Oshawa,Ont
Posts: 370
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by OctaneZ28 View Post
Performance enthusiasts like us do prefer RWD cars, but in the midsize segment (and even most of the large sedan segment) FWD has been king for the past many years.
300,000 FWD Impala buyers every year.

I would love to see Impala go RWD, and it would be a fantastic car if built on Zeta.
But if it's a better business case for it not to, then I would welcome it staying FWD.

The only concern I would have of it staying FWD is that the W-chassis is getting old.
I wonder if there's a newer large FWD chassis they could move it to.
The talk around the water cooler here at work was that there was both a RWD and AWD versions being engineered with all new body and engine upgrades. This way they (GM) could utilize the Oshawa plant as a Flex line and include new Zeta products. As the Camaro is such a low volume product additional vehicles are needed to make a sound business case. The key will be engine and fuel economy leading up to CAFE requirements.
super60 is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 12-21-2007, 01:38 PM
Veteran Member
 
Luwinkle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 10,420
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by super6 View Post
Yup ..thats why we build close to 400 thousand of them each year , because their "FWD lose-mobile's !!!" Please get your facts right..
Retract the claws homeboy.

I never said the Impala doesn't sale. But to remain FWD would be immense folly.

And I never used exclamation points, or apostrophes.



Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster.
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Luwinkle is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 12-21-2007, 01:39 PM
Veteran Member
 
Luwinkle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 10,420
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshane View Post
Thats alot of lists.........is it a hobby?
When you're a 3rd shift security guard...everything is a hobby.



Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster.
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Luwinkle is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 12-22-2007, 08:07 AM
Member
 
super60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Oshawa,Ont
Posts: 370
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luwinkle View Post
Retract the claws homeboy.

I never said the Impala doesn't sale. But to remain FWD would be immense folly.

And I never used exclamation points, or apostrophes.
So why would it be immense folly ? GM needs to make a sound business case in order to keep the Impala Its highest selling vehicle (Chevy) If FWD or an optional AWD transmission works with regards to selling the cars then by all means do it.

Ps.. I'm not a homeboy
super60 is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 12-22-2007, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Super Moderator
 
brandonppr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Middle TN
Posts: 5,668
 
I've got a feeling that Lutz didn't say that for nothing. I think he is preparing us for RWD to be canceled.

1998 Camaro A4 7.06 @ 96.5 MPH NA 1.47 best 60ft
2010 Camaro Tube Chassis work in progress
brandonppr is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome