Need some advice about buying an old car - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 01-19-2008, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Question Need some advice about buying an old car

I work full time and I'm a full time student, I need a daily driver, here's why:

I recently moved to a town that is 2 hours away from anything remotely metropolitan and it's on the border. The roads here are crap, there are drivers from two countries battling for a spot in traffic and stupidity on the highway is a communicable disease. I've had too many locals tell me to keep an extra eye on my Honda because of the theft. My car can't handle the roads here and since it was built for spirited mountain driving and the closest mountain in America is in El Paso, 11 hours away.

Camaros are a dime a dozen here. Most of them look like crap because I don't think people really care about their cars. You should see some of the poor old beasts limping down the street, looking as if they had been attacked by the accessories section of Pep Boys. I know I can pick one up dirt cheap. I just would like to know what you all would recommend.

I've never owned a used GM. I like my GMs new. So I'm totally lost as to what is worth it to get. I do not want too spend much and frankly, I'm tired of old Hondas. I've had 2. I'd like to have a car that doesn't cost much and has enough manuals and spare parts out there that I can fix this thing in my driveway on my own. Plus, I'd finally like to be able to buy parts from J.C. Whitney. Nothing fancy, just an old car that I can enjoy and maybe bring back to life on my long weekends.

I've loved Camaro's since I was in a booster seat so I'm determined to break my used import habit and get a Chevy for once. Unless you guys say forget it .

Still a wannabe.
post #2 of 13 Old 01-19-2008, 08:50 AM

How old? mid 70s-80s 2 door Novas, Malibus, and Cutlass/Monte Carlo/Regals make good cars. Street and weekend dragstrip.

If Camaros are cheap, don't hesitate selecting one you find in good operating condition.
post #3 of 13 Old 01-19-2008, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA1Camaro View Post
How old? mid 70s-80s 2 door Novas, Malibus, and Cutlass/Monte Carlo/Regals make good cars. Street and weekend dragstrip.

If Camaros are cheap, don't hesitate selecting one you find in good operating condition.
Affordable old. I'd prefer to have a Camaro just because there in such an abundance here. Plus, I'd love to revive a mid to late 80s Camaro in full 80s glory. I'm cheesy like that. I've already rebuilt a Honda and it was a blast. I'd love to move onto an older car, larger car. Something that I can keep for a while and be proud of.

Still a wannabe.
post #4 of 13 Old 01-19-2008, 09:15 AM
Supporting Super Moderator

I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for, but if I was looking to restore one. If your looking at third gens, I would go with more rare ones such as IROC verts or heritage edition cars or a pace car or maybe even a Berlinetta (the one that had the electronic dash). 85-92 If you can get TPI its better. 5.7 instead of 5.0 better yet.

Here is an 88 Iroc 5.0 vert on ebay:

Here is a very rare 92 Heritage Edition Z28 vert on ebay:

1998 Camaro A4 7.06 @ 96.5 MPH NA 1.47 best 60ft
2010 Camaro Tube Chassis work in progress

Last edited by brandonppr; 01-19-2008 at 09:23 AM.
post #5 of 13 Old 01-19-2008, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonppr View Post
I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for, but if I was looking to restore one. If your looking at third gens, I would go with more rare ones such as IROC verts or heritage edition cars or a pace car or maybe even a 84 Berlinetta (the one that had the electronic dash). 85-92 If you can get TPI its better. 5.7 instead of 5.0 better yet.
Unfortunately, I'm looking for cheap to buy for starters. I hate budgets. We're closing on our first house soon. I still have my Honda and I'm having a hard time dealing with the prospect of getting rid of it when the new Camaro comes out. I put a lot of money into this car and I love it.

As far as what you've recommended...I did not know that the Berlinetta had an electronic dash. I'm such a geek. Seriously, I haven't seen a Berlinetta that looked as if it was capable of driving since the 80s. I forgot about that car.

Being a Jersian though, I'm a total sucker for an IROC.

Still a wannabe.
post #6 of 13 Old 01-19-2008, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonppr View Post

Here is an 88 Iroc 5.0 vert on ebay:

Here is a very rare 92 Heritage Edition Z28 vert on ebay:
****. If I had that red one... Lord, I'd probably have to be on a first name basis with most of the cops around here. Lord thats pretty.

Still a wannabe.
post #7 of 13 Old 01-19-2008, 09:24 AM

You can find one of the rare ones for cheap. You just have to find someone that doesn't know what they have

The Berlinettas are more rare if they have a V8
Here is a V6 berlinetta with the electronic dash:

post #8 of 13 Old 01-19-2008, 09:29 AM

Here is a pretty rare Berlinetta its an 82 with a V8 which is pretty hard to find exspecially original.

Can you believe these cars came with white wall tires?
this one is on ebay as well

post #9 of 13 Old 01-19-2008, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Thanks, Brandon. I'm going to keep my eyes open locally for this one. I'm almost positive I can find one here if not here, Brownsville, McAllen or maybe even San Antonio.

Still a wannabe.
post #10 of 13 Old 01-19-2008, 10:34 AM
Banned

I have a really good friend from the brownsville/McAllen area.

If you want a cheap and reliable Camaro, you can't beat the 82-92's. The TBIs and the TPIs were extremely reliable and had plenty of "fun" factor (read: torque). Of course, the 93-97s are getting **** cheap now too, and they have LT1s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page