Help a fellow car enthusiast out and a good friend. - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 07-22-2013, 05:44 AM Thread Starter

Help a fellow car enthusiast out and a good friend.

A buddy of mine lost his pride and joy over the weekend. He is a good guy with not to much money, and three kids. He lost his just recently finished M45 supercharged 2000 z24. Insurance is giving him pretty much nothing for the car, and since they didn't have any of his modifications on file...none of it is even considered. Any little bit helps.

Quote:
Friends and family are uniting to raise money to help Brad Wheeler with his lost Z.

On Saturday july 20th Brad Wheeler lost his z24 when the car caught fire while driving it. Nothing was salvagable and the vehicle was a total loss. Brad Wheeler has been a pillar in the J-Body community for years as well as a good friend. He has helped and supported many of us in these years. Always there for us when we need him it is time for us to be there for him. We are trying to raise $5,000 in order to help Brad with this recent loss. Please give what you can no matter how small as Brad would have done the same for you. Thank you !!

https://www.giveforward.com/fundrais...fb_ref=1189743
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flames.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	24474   Click image for larger version

Name:	done.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	24482   Click image for larger version

Name:	engine.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	24490   Click image for larger version

Name:	foam back.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	24498   Click image for larger version

Name:	foam.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	24506  

Daily Driver, 13', LFX, 6L50, 1LT, Summit White (GAZ) Camaro, [email protected]
Weekend Racer, 99', LD9/LG0/W41, 4T40E, Aquamarine Z24, Rebuild/upgrade In-Process, 13s here I come
post #2 of 16 Old 07-23-2013, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

No comment from anyone?

Weekend Racer, 99', LD9/LG0/W41, 4T40E, Aquamarine Z24, Rebuild/upgrade In-Process, 13s here I come
post #3 of 16 Old 07-23-2013, 10:52 AM

Garage
He spent all of the money for a build and didn't insure it?

This is an expensive lesson for him. I hope he can get through this looking to the future and figure out where to go from here

2013 IOM Camaro 1LS - Daily Driver
1968 Camaro SS - Weekend Warrior
2000 Monte Carlo SS - CSC Powered Project Car
post #4 of 16 Old 07-23-2013, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

He did. Insurance will not cover any add-ons. Gave him $800 after much pleading.

My cavalier is insured as a pleasure vehicle, with full coverage, for $1000 under my normal insurance. "Since" that is the book replacement value. Which is 100% BS. Since KBB is a whooping $3500. Then it is insured for $15,000 with a list of modifications, and a price to replace each item.

The only reason my cavalier is insured this way, is my agent, who is epically great, explained to me how much I would get if it was totaled. $900-$1100. So I had to add a add-on policy to cover the actual cost to replace the vehicle and the parts on the vehicle.

Cavaliers are worth "nothing."

My buddy had no idea how little cavaliers are worth these days. When my cavalier is 20 years old or older it will be going on a classic car insurance policy so if I get in an accident I do not have to fight tooth and nail for someone to fix / replace it.

post #5 of 16 Old 07-23-2013, 11:45 AM

Garage
I'm the same way with my Monte Carlo. I have over $10,000 worth of modifications on it, but the kbb of a 190,000 mile, 13 year old car is awful, so I also insured my mods.

Your friend made a very expensive mistake by (probably) just buying insurance online to comply with the law and not speaking to an agent and making sure insurance was there to help.

I feel really sorry for him. But it is partly his fault. I hope he can get another ride though.

2013 IOM Camaro 1LS - Daily Driver
1968 Camaro SS - Weekend Warrior
2000 Monte Carlo SS - CSC Powered Project Car
post #6 of 16 Old 07-23-2013, 03:01 PM

Good luck to your friend. The Only charity I give to though is the Salvation Army.
If I fell prey to all the hardluck stories I hear I'd be broke.
post #7 of 16 Old 07-23-2013, 07:01 PM
Bully Proof

Garage
There's no easy way to say this but here goes...

I'm so sorry to see what happened to your friend's car...a real tragedy in any car guy's life. But the bigger tragedy here in my book is the fact that he has very little money, three kids and he sank that much money into a car build instead of his children. I'd be much more inclined to send his children new clothes for the upcoming school year than to help him repeat what I consider to be a very irresponsible act.

Something similar to this happened just a few months ago to one of the moderators on C5 and his Camaro was under insured as well. So all his friend's rallied around him and started a fund to help him recoup his losses which I thought was a great thing...just like you are doing now. But I don't think it's very realistic to ask people that have no connection what so ever to your friend (other than we're all car people) to donate money.

If I had a lot of money...I'd be more than willing to help him out. But financially I'm in a bad spot right now as well and can barely make my Camaro payment. I sincerely hope that like you have...all his other friends are in a position to help out with either money and/or sweat equity and that through their efforts he will be made whole again.
post #8 of 16 Old 07-24-2013, 04:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post
There's no easy way to say this but here goes...

I'm so sorry to see what happened to your friend's car...a real tragedy in any car guy's life. But the bigger tragedy here in my book is the fact that he has very little money, three kids and he sank that much money into a car build instead of his children. I'd be much more inclined to send his children new clothes for the upcoming school year than to help him repeat what I consider to be a very irresponsible act.

Something similar to this happened just a few months ago to one of the moderators on C5 and his Camaro was under insured as well. So all his friend's rallied around him and started a fund to help him recoup his losses which I thought was a great thing...just like you are doing now. But I don't think it's very realistic to ask people that have no connection what so ever to your friend (other than we're all car people) to donate money.

If I had a lot of money...I'd be more than willing to help him out. But financially I'm in a bad spot right now as well and can barely make my Camaro payment. I sincerely hope that like you have...all his other friends are in a position to help out with either money and/or sweat equity and that through their efforts he will be made whole again.
The reason he doesn't have money for a new car is directly because of the kids. They come first, then wife, house, ect...and then car parts. He has been slowly collecting parts for YEARS. For as long as I can remember, and I have known him since 04'. Kids not being taken care of is a VERY BOLD statement / assumption. If he wasn't a great guy I wouldn't have even posted this here...

post #9 of 16 Old 07-24-2013, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -MD- Enforcer View Post
The reason he doesn't have money for a new car is directly because of the kids. They come first, then wife, house, ect...and then car parts. He has been slowly collecting parts for YEARS. For as long as I can remember, and I have known him since 04'. Kids not being taken care of is a VERY BOLD statement / assumption. If he wasn't a great guy I wouldn't have even posted this here...
correct.. who would want to help someone that cant take care of their own kids?? that was a very bold assumption, many people have these same type of assumptions on people with no facts. i wish i could help.. good luck..

2011 camaro 2ss convert..black on black. Slp black wing intake, k&n drop in , muffler delete , 93 octane diablo tune L99/A6. totaled 12-4-13..

2014 camaro 2ss 1LE. best car yet!!!!
post #10 of 16 Old 07-24-2013, 11:59 AM
Bully Proof

Garage
I don't think I made ANY assumptions or statements about your friend in my post...and you're the one that brought up his children. What I said was I would be much more willing to contribute to someone who needed help with their children than I would be to contribute to someone who needs money to replace their modified car build...but maybe that's just the woman in me.

As I said before...I wish your friend luck and I hope he gets the help he needs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page