Should I sell My Camaro or Ruin my Blazer? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 11-28-2013, 06:24 AM Thread Starter

Should I sell My Camaro or Ruin my Blazer?

Camaro Friends,

I'd like your input on this:
I currently have two vehicles. My '74 K5 Blazer, 4X4, Bright Red, 350, 4-Speed Manual, which is an Arizona Truck and has never been driven through a Mid-West Winter. That given, it has very little rust. My other vehicle is the only car that I bought brand new. I special ordered it befroe they started building the fifth generation Camaros. It's an Aqua Blue 2SS, 6.2 V8, Black Leather, six-speed manual car. I love both of these vehicles.
The problem is that I have taken a job 60 miles from my house. I have to travel over small state highways to get there. Although I love driving the Camaro on clear roads, it's a terrible Winter car. I can't afford a third dependable vehicle for the commute. So the options I'm considering are:

(1) Bolt the top on Blaze, drive it to work on the really bad (icy, snowy) days and let the rust begin.
(2) Sell Sweetness (the Camaro) and buy a new 2013 Silverado, 4-wheel drive, Regular Cab, V8

I'm on the fence on this one. I told the salesman I'd have an answer for him on Monday. What do you think?
post #2 of 12 Old 11-28-2013, 10:07 AM

The new Silverado will also rust, a quick look under mine will prove that. And in reality the Blazer is not a high value collectible except to the very few that may have a personal love for that truck. It would be my luck to buy a new truck and someone would run into me and tear it to pieces and then you would really take a hit on 'out of pocket' money. For me, I would keep the Camaro.

post #3 of 12 Old 11-28-2013, 11:16 AM

Garage
Do you get the same enjoyment out of the blazer when you drive it as the Camaro? Because when you aren't commuting to work, you will want a joy ride. Which would give you a better joy?

2013 IOM Camaro 1LS - Daily Driver
1968 Camaro SS - Weekend Warrior
2000 Monte Carlo SS - CSC Powered Project Car
post #4 of 12 Old 11-28-2013, 04:34 PM
Premium Member

Garage
I drive my '02 Silverado all winter. ~270,000 miles and still running strong. I had a little rust starting on my rockers this year, and took care of that. It's good to go!

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
Click the pic.. I don't tolerate fools.
post #5 of 12 Old 11-28-2013, 08:49 PM
Bully Proof

Garage
I'm guessin' the logical answer is to get the new truck but you are on a Camaro site so who cares about logic...lol? Personally...I would keep the Camaro because they won't give you a decent valuation on the trade-in and I assume it's almost paid off. Once it is then you can get a great deal on a lightly used Silverado and have much lower payments. But if you'd rather own two trucks and start a new five year note then that's the way to go. So the thing to ask yourself is do I love my Camaro enough to keep it...and if you're not sure of the answer...then it's time to let it go.
post #6 of 12 Old 11-29-2013, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. After discussing this further with my wife and my best friend, I have decided to keep the Camaro and drive the Blazer on bad weather days. The surprisong thing is that even the guys on the ChevyK5Blazer.com think I should keep the Camaro and drive the Blazer in the snow and salt. I'm happy with this decision as I would really miss driving Swetness. Although I enjoy driving the Blazer on those nice days with the roof off, I would miss the hell out of the Camaro if I sold it.
post #7 of 12 Old 11-29-2013, 02:39 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Keep the undercarriage sprayed clean and make sure to wash out the body and door drains.

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
Click the pic.. I don't tolerate fools.
post #8 of 12 Old 11-29-2013, 05:59 PM
Supporting Super Moderator

74 k5 blazer manual,, freakin drooool,, sell it to me before it rusts, problem solved. Post pics of it, would like to see it. I've been on the fence sometime now about getting one as a project, mainly want to keep it as stock as possible.

2010 Camaro RS SS LS3 (Bumble Bee) Vin#192 & 8 others made by GM and one Christine
post #9 of 12 Old 11-29-2013, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

LorcinLS1,

Here are a few pictures of Blaze:

post #10 of 12 Old 12-02-2013, 05:30 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
Good choice, just keep the blazer washed good, if you have the time get it undercoated.

2013 LT2/RS, Crystal Red Metallic, TAZ Jr.
2016 H-D Ultra Classic, Black Fire Purple, (PPE)
2015 H-D Street Glide, Superior Blue. (Old Blue) Traded
2012 Big Horn, RAM, Crew Cab, SLT, Dark Cherry Red Pearl (Betty Boop)
1998 Honda Accord 2d, daily driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page