Do You Need to Get Your Tires Balanced? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 12-02-2013, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Sponsored Editorial Content

Do You Need to Get Your Tires Balanced?

Quote:
If your steering wheel shakes or your car feels a bit bouncy while driving down the road, your vehicle may have tires that are out of balance.

If you take a close look at your carís wheels, you may notice little metal squares lined up in a row on the inside of your wheel. These are wheel weights and are put on when your wheels are balanced. A balanced wheel results in smooth driving on the road and helps to maintain the longevity of your carís tires and suspension.

WHAT IS WHEEL BALANCING?

Right before your new tires get placed on the car, they have to be balanced. Despite all the high-tech chemistry and science involved in making a tire they still have some weight imbalances, which are fixed by getting it balanced at a shop.

When you take your tires to get balanced, the mechanic will take the wheel to a wheel balancing machine. The machine will spin the wheel and bring out the unbalanced weight in the tire to the outer edge. The mechanic will then put weights on the opposite side of where the weight is in an effort to balance it. This is done on all your carís wheels and results in a smooth ride when driving about.
Do You Need To Get Your Tires Balanced? AutoGuide.com explains it for you quickly and easily. Check it out!
post #2 of 5 Old 12-06-2013, 07:08 PM
sdk
Veteran Member

Garage
Don't forget to balance trailer wheels also!!

2017 Camaro SS
South Carolina

Last edited by sdk; 12-06-2013 at 07:08 PM. Reason: ...
post #3 of 5 Old 12-06-2013, 10:08 PM

Garage
You don't need to balance your tires unless you plan on driving faster than 8 miles per hour. :-)
post #4 of 5 Old 12-08-2013, 08:22 AM
Veteran Member

Problem is, most "balancer machine techs" don't do it right. How can you tell? If you see them poke the tire on the machine, spin it up, add some weights, maybe spin check it again and take it off the machine and mount it. Chances that it's balanced well are slim to none. It's tough to get an excellent radial/axial runout balance with just one time weight addition.

If the tech spins, adds, spin checks, moves weight, spin checks, and maybe a third or fourth time, you know he/she's taken the time to get the best balance possible. Sure, takes a few extra minutes, but that's the only way to be sure.

Better yet is the load balancers that work off your suspension. But I know that most tire techs get paid squat so they don't care as long as the computer says it's good enough.

2010 2SS/RS Auto, Sunroof, Engine Cover. Transformer Edition package.
2013 ZL1 ragtop #5478. 1 of 54 CRT M6 'verts.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-08-2013, 09:13 AM
2012 TF3 Manual

This is exactly why I do mostly everything at my dealer! The shops here in Fl are almost all parts changers instead of technicians... No testing just change it and let's see if it works then! Can't stand it, my dealer will actually diagnose and tell me what test were used and why something went bad. This is especially important in multiple sensor systems like A/C! I pay more per hour but I have a great dealership with great techs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page