GT-R V-Spec - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 04-11-2008, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

GT-R V-Spec

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/04/08/n...tun-observers/

Quote:
The prototype Nissan GT-R V-Spec, wearing the "Victory Specification" designation reserved for the ultra high-performance Nissan GT-R, has been caught lapping the famed Nürburgring at an incredible, if not simply unbelievable, 7:25 per lap. This, according to bystanders trackside. (For comparison, Walter Röhrl lapped the Ring in 7:28 while driving a Porsche Carrera GT in 2004.)
Thoughts? I mean, that is pretty **** impressive if you ask me BUT I have a small criticism.

If you look into the car, and reviews you notice that the car itself is almost automated, which IMO will simply take away from the driving experience. Maybe most people don't care to "drive" their own cars when on a track or racing but if it was me, i'd prefer to be in control of it. I hope you guys understand what I'm trying to say. Basically, i think that if the Corvette Z06(not ZR1) had all the electronics like launch control and all that bells and whistles the GT-R V-Spec comes with then it wouldn't have much of a problem with doing the same thing this thing is doing.

What's going on here, it's like cars manufactueres are making cars to require a less skilled driver to achieve certain great laptimes, or quater mile times. I'm not saying technology is a bad thing but sooner or later it seems that the difference in a lap time is how quick you can press the gas pedal.

To clarify, I'm not saying that it doesn't take skill to drive that GT-R V-Spec to get those lap times, I know I surely wouldn't be able to get behind the car right now and do that I'm just saying that all the bells and whistles in THIS car just seems to automated.

Anyone get what I'm saying, lol, I feel like I'm not making to much sense right now and I think it might have to do with not having breakfeast OR lunch yet.
post #2 of 20 Old 04-11-2008, 02:55 PM
Banned

I get what you're saying, but the Z06 has many of the fancy features the GT-R has. Traction control, braking control, stability control, etc. I think where the GT-R accels is that it's AWD. AWD kicks ass around a track.
post #3 of 20 Old 04-11-2008, 03:11 PM

i for one am so tired of the hype around this car, all the rags keep putting it up against other cars liek the vette and the 911 and talkign abotu how it is killing them. but as you point out you are not drining it, it is driving its self. WHY because if the generation of kids that are comeing up now that need to talk on their phone while driving.......sorry its a pet peve
post #4 of 20 Old 04-11-2008, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devryn View Post
I get what you're saying, but the Z06 has many of the fancy features the GT-R has. Traction control, braking control, stability control, etc. I think where the GT-R accels is that it's AWD. AWD kicks ass around a track.
Quote:
Controlling the Launch
Activating the Nissan GT-R's launch control is a matter of configuring its transmission, dynamics control and damping adjustments properly. The transmission and damping switches must both be set to the R mode and the VDC must be switched off completely by holding the VDC-R button down for a few seconds. Then it's just a matter of pinning the brake with your left foot and wooding the throttle with your right, not unlike the technique used to produce a tire-shredding burnout in that '85 Camaro you drove in high school.

The result, however, is quite different. The computer holds the engine at 4,500 rpm and waits for you to lift your left foot off the brake pedal. When you do the GT-R produces the most crushing acceleration of virtually any production car in the world. Our test was conducted on a fairly low-grip surface that produced lots of rear wheelspin before the GT-R's sophisticated all-wheel-drive system engaged the front wheels and it thundered down the track. Its 3.3-second 0-60-mph run and 11.6 at 120.9 mph performance make the GT-R the quickest car we've ever tested.
?
post #5 of 20 Old 04-11-2008, 03:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sluuug View Post
?
O.K, seriously. Are we talking about 1/4 racing or track racing. If that thing is going around the Ring, then launch control isn't giving it any kind of advantage of the Z06. Besides, what the Z06 running in the 1/4? 11.7?
post #6 of 20 Old 04-12-2008, 10:10 AM
Dark Side Moderator

Z06= 11.13 @ 127.20 with a 1.76 60 foot.

Only mod was replacing magazine driver with a good one.
I do doubt the GT-R will see a big of a decrease in ET by getting a expert driver due to the fact the car has prolly done most of the work in correcting driver error. With the Z06, you can have a guy run high 12s all day because he just sucks at life, then have a guy like Ranger who can run near 11 flat, and then break 10s with just a set of DRs.

As for the track, AWD is prolly the biggest advantage and not the electronics. The electronics prolly save the magazine drivers from themselves, but to a season driver it like having training wheels for Evel Knievel on his bike. But I do agree that it is the fun part to do the shifting, throttle allocation, and feeling the turn myself instead of the car doing it for me. Hell even GM's less complex A6 in the vette seems to rob the fun; whick is prolly why im not even getting an auto Camaro. Even that to automatic, lol.

2005 Mustang GT-4.6L 3v /M5
2.3L Whipple Intercooled, 3.25'' pulley(11psi),FRPP 62mm TB, FRPP Stinger Axleback, UPR catted X-pipe, FRPP Handling Pack, 20'' Staggered Black Steeda Spyder Wheels, NT-05 Nittos, 3.73s, Hurst Shifter, and DF Centerforce Clutch
527rwhp, 479rwtq
post #7 of 20 Old 04-12-2008, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member

Bring on the 4500 rpm launch of the GTR. Give the ZO6 drags to make them somewhat eqaul on traction. Notice the ZO6 spins the tires also, so there is still room for improvement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=469NvIOiz7U&eurl=

Sold the 68
Ready for the 2010
post #8 of 20 Old 04-12-2008, 07:16 PM

Im sick of thr GT-R and how much hype and raving thats going on 4 it.... the car has awd which means accel better ... but i cant see how people will buy it 70k for a nisaan not many ricer fans have that scratch and the people with that money want exotic or muscle and when it starts getting produced in nothamerica it probably be more then 70k.... and the car is twin-turbo..... now TT the Vette and we will see 1000+ hp
post #9 of 20 Old 04-14-2008, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member

You dont have to TT the Vette, just get the ZR-1

Sold the 68
Ready for the 2010
post #10 of 20 Old 04-14-2008, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member

Another point to consider: You can drive a Vette as a daily driver, road trips, cone chase, whatever. The Nissan? I doubt its reliablity can compare to a Corvette. Didn't we just have a C5 posted on here with 300K on it? Try that on the Nissan! GFL.

Bob Lutz: "There's no doubt that a design-driven philosophy is the only one that will work. People who are not sensitive to design, people who don't care about vehicles, people who view a vehicle as an appliance, they just default to Toyota. We will never win that one."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page