Long distance relationships. - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 04-17-2008, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

Question Long distance relationships.

Can they work?

The girl I'm seeing plans on moving about 250miles away for the summer, we've been seeing each other since early Feb. So I'm not sure what to do, in one hand we havn't been together that long and in the other I'm not ready to let go and she's not either.

She and I want to make it work, she has things to do down here so she'll be visiting on weekends to every other weekend.

What am I getting myself into?

She's moving back in with her mom btw. All her family is there.
post #2 of 15 Old 04-17-2008, 04:37 PM

Yes they can

Just to give you a different view:

In 1990 I was in a 4 month training school for the Navy. I met a girl in my class & proposed 3 months later. The next month, I got sent to Pensacola, Florida & She got sent to Norfolk, Virginia. (over 1,000 miles). We got married 9 months later & went back to our separate bases. The next month, she calls me & told me she was pregnant. She then transferred to North Carolina & I stayed in Florida. A month after our son was born, I got stationed with her in North Carolina & we've been together ever since.

That was a total of 18 months apart, during which we got married & had a child - not something you'd expect to work out considering we were only together for 4 months before getting stationed apart from each other.

Last weekend was our 17th anniversary. I don't feel that long distance relationships work forever, but if you're determined, it will work. It definitely will not be EASY, but it can work. Just remember that you can't cheat on her & if she does cheat on you, then you were the better person & she wasn't worth it in the first place.

250 miles is not that far - only 4 hours driving (or 2.5 if you have a new Camaro)

Hope this helps....
post #3 of 15 Old 04-17-2008, 06:01 PM

It can work for a certain time frame based on the relationship between the two of you. I did experience it for almost 2 years, and I admit it was very difficult and would not do it again.

My personal opinion is you need that physical connection, and no not necessarily sexual. The only issue that came across for me was the fact that you will begin spending more time with female friends, and will start to build that attachment. Not because you dont have a good relationship with the significant other, just due to the fact that it is human nature to have that constant physical and visual interaction. The biggest problem I had was the concern. I was never a jealous person in relationships where I saw the individual on a daily/weekly basis. However, when they begin going out with friends and start reconnecting with old "male friends" from the past it may slowly start to wear on you.

Like I said, I managed to stick with it for two years without cheating..but it is two years I wish I had back, and took a toll on me physically and emotionally.
post #4 of 15 Old 04-17-2008, 06:15 PM
Veteran Member

I had a relationship that lasted through 4+ years of college 180 miles away. I went to visit about once a month or so, and she came home when she could. She was in Boston, so it was a cool city to go hang out in (and that's coming from a NY'er). We ended up breaking up during her 5th year in College (she was going for her masters)...but now we're married (going on 8 years) so I guess things worked out (at least that's what I think most of the time).

So, yes it can work...you have to trust each other...if not, you'll be miserable. BUT, isn't there a rule that if your GF is more than 179 miles away, it's not really cheating? That's what I heard.

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.

Last edited by POWERFREAK; 04-17-2008 at 06:20 PM.
post #5 of 15 Old 04-17-2008, 06:21 PM

If your young ...move on
If you are at least mid 20's then work at it
post #6 of 15 Old 04-17-2008, 08:13 PM
ModernCamaro.com Founder / Former Camaro Disciple

It can still work, but it will take some effort and commitment.
Sounds like just a temporary move, am I understanding that right?

With her already coming back every 2 weeks, that's a good base.
Plan to go there a few times as well, and a surprise visit is always good.

2001 Camaro Z28 H/C/I LH6 A4 3.42

Like ModernCamaro.com on Facebook!
post #7 of 15 Old 04-17-2008, 08:58 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctaneZ28 View Post
It can still work, but it will take some effort and commitment.
Sounds like just a temporary move, am I understanding that right?

With her already coming back every 2 weeks, that's a good base.
Plan to go there a few times as well, and a surprise visit is always good.
My husband and I spent about 2 years where we only saw eachother every 3-4 months. It was rocky at some points and almost ended but now it's fine.

Still a wannabe.
post #8 of 15 Old 04-17-2008, 09:39 PM

they can work..my wife and I had 1350 miles between us for 6 months. When we first met. A lot of phone bills in the hundreds of dollars..lol
But I think that let us really get to know one another and talk and find out who we really are..
proposed to her on New Years eve of that same year, 3 months after meeting her and only seeing her in personless than half a dozen times ..with that distance to make up for another few months then we moved in together..
In May we will be celebrating our 2nd wedding anniversary..
And we been together for almost 6 years.

1994 Z28 Autobot

I would like to thank the person that came up with these fine avatar and signature's.
post #9 of 15 Old 04-18-2008, 10:53 AM
See You On Course

It can if you are both committed. Once you're not, you both need to decide it's over.

2010 Stock IBM 2SS/RS

I found $80 in my jeans pocket. The kid in me said "buy nerf guns and candy!" But then the adult in me said "buy vodka, nerf guns and candy!"

post #10 of 15 Old 04-18-2008, 11:16 AM
Supporter of common sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sluuug View Post
Can they work?

The girl I'm seeing plans on moving about 250miles away for the summer, we've been seeing each other since early Feb. So I'm not sure what to do, in one hand we havn't been together that long and in the other I'm not ready to let go and she's not either.

She and I want to make it work, she has things to do down here so she'll be visiting on weekends to every other weekend.

What am I getting myself into?

She's moving back in with her mom btw. All her family is there.
They can work, but in my experience they fail more often than not.

I hope it works out for you

Joe :: Over Anxious 67 Camaro RS/SS L78
5thgenblog.com // Michigan Classics
Chevrolet Camaro in Transformers // My ebaY auctions

Hot Rod Search Google searches for gearheads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page