PLEASE READ.......... - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 04-23-2008, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
THE FBODFATHER

PLEASE READ..........

Good evening, my Camaro Comrades and Firebird Friends........

Spring is here - and most of us are getting our Firebirds and Camaros out of storage .....and can hardly wait to drive them.

Unfortunately most of us want to plant the pedal to the metal --

.......................and that's fine -- provided that it's done appropriately and in the right place and time.

My concern is that some of you may get a little *too excited* and perhaps decide to do a little street racing.

Our Friend -- Jason Ory at www.z28.com started a thread on his site talking about the horrors that can result from Street Racing..........and I thank him for bringing it to my attention.

I ask you to read something I wrote a couple of years back -- it's at the end of this email.......

We had a great Camaro/Firebird Gathering in Atlanta -- and unfortunately things got out of control late at night -- and two of our Camaro Comrades died that night...............

All because of Street Racing.............

Please -- I beg you -- read the following -- and PROMISE ME -- that you will not street race -- and that you will wear your safety belts at ALL TIMES -- and that goes for all of your passengers as well.

Please share this with your friends.........put it in your newsletters.............

To some of you, I may sound like a broken record. (to you 'younguns' -- records were what preceded CDs.....) -- and I continue this rant because I care about you.

Have a great show season -- and I hope to see you at the various Camaro/Firebird shows that are planned this season!

The story:

A whole bunch of people looked forward to this past Memorial Day weekend …many of them spending it in Atlanta, as I did, with fellow Fcar enthusiasts.

A few young men I’m sure were looking forward to driving in from the Carolinas.

It was a great show….hundreds of Firebirds and Camaros lovingly maintained/restored/modified.

A great tour of GMMG........ Some great vendor displays......... A Beach Party.........

----A weekend built around a way to remember our veterans and those who gave their lives for our country.

But a tragedy happened early Sunday morning.

We (as well as most manufacturers) build performance cars. We build them with many, many safety features. We try to anticipate human error. But some things can’t be anticipated. And it’s especially hard to engineer around bad judgement on the part of the driver.

We put safety belts in all of our cars and trucks.

No…we don’t deserve a gold medal for this…it’s the law…..a GOOD law.

It’s also the law in most States and Provinces that you are supposed to put them on when you get in the vehicle. I guess we'll never know whether or not the fellows in the back seat of the Camaro SS on Windy Hill road would have survived had they had put the belts on.

Windy Hill Road in suburban Atlanta has curves and elevations. It has as I recall, a 35 mph speed limit. It was not designed for cars to travel at three times that speed. (or more)

In some ways, I guess I was fortunate. I was in my hotel room. It was late…it was a long day………I had a great time meeting a lot of great people and spending time with some old friends. So I retired around 1 am and went to sleep. I didn’t have to witness the heartbreaking catastrophe firsthand.

I wasn’t prepared to hear the news the next morning. I am, as I’m sure many others are -- still in shock. And I pray for the families and friends of all involved.

I guess at this point in time, I can only hope that amidst this terrible, terrible tragedy that perhaps those who attended the Gathering…….those of you reading this…….and those who read the newspapers/websites and watched TV will think twice before getting into a car or truck and not putting the safety belt on ---PROPERLY --- each and every time.

Second: If you want to race, take it to the track guys and gals. Or to the dyno. (the dyno doesn’t involve driver error…….)

Simply put: We know these cars are powerful. I like burnouts as much as the next guy or gal………but there is a time and place for that…..and it isn’t in a parking lot or on the street. It’s at the track under controlled conditions.

I don’t ever want to see a street race. I don’t ever want to see another burnout in a parking lot.

And I don’t EVER want to hear about one or more of my fellow enthusiasts……who I care a great deal for…….. being killed in one of our cars or trucks. Is it avoidable? I sure wish it were.

So how ‘bout we make sure we ‘stack the deck’ in our favor?

How ‘bout we make a commitment to each other RIGHT NOW…….that we pledge never to street race – EVER………… (And I don’t care HOW many other motorists are egging you on…….)

How ‘bout we make a commitment to each other RIGHT NOW that we will ALWAYS wear a safety belt…and that goes for everyone in the car or truck with us…………………..

How ‘bout we make a commitment to each other RIGHT NOW that we will tell our loved ones how much they mean to us…….and that we DEMAND that they wear a safety belt………. Every time………no excuses.

You think a safety belt is uncomfortable? Well how about this statistic: A 180 pound human being traveling in a car at 35 miles per hour that strikes a solid object will create THIRTY SIX HUNDRED POUNDS OF FORCE.

Now..........do you want that 3,600 pounds of force to be dissipated by a safety belt or do you want it dissipated by a steering wheel and windshield – or the pavement …do you still think the seatbelt is uncomfortable???

………… some of you may say “Scott…stop with the rant…it’s inappropriate at this time.”
To you I say…” I care about you and my fellow enthusiasts and friends and loved ones. And I don’t want to attend your funeral or see you in a hospital due to an avoidable accident. So if I’m being inappropriate, it’s because I care.”

To the family and friends of those who lost their lives this weekend in Atlanta: You are in my prayers. I don’t know that I or anyone else have the words to console you other than to say how very deeply saddened and sorry I am for your loss. And many of us will be thinking of you for a lot longer than you might imagine.

To the organizers (my very dear friends) of the Atlanta Fbody Gathering: You have worked so long and so hard to put such a great event together. This was not your fault. People come from many states to enjoy the passion that these cars generate. We are indebted to you for your hard work…and we hope we’ll be invited back again next year. Thank you for your hospitality – thank you for your friendship – and thank you for all the good things you do for the F-car community.

To the Associates at the Marriott Atlanta Northwest: Thank you for your kind understanding and for all you did to help everyone through this weekend. You are truly a class act.

In closing, Everyone:
Wear your safety belts.
No more street racing.
Put the cell phone down when behind the wheel.
Practice safe driving habits.
If you’re going to drink, don’t drive. No one should lose his or her life needlessly.

And remember….every time you get behind the wheel…..YOU are in charge. Don’t turn your vehicle into a lethal weapon.

Spread the word.
post #2 of 16 Old 04-24-2008, 01:03 AM

Amen brother, saw this post on the 5...

As an Officer, I can say I have seen more than a handful of deaths caused by street racing/reckless driving within the last 2 years. Yes, a majority are juveniles/young adults who think their honda is much faster than in reality...but regardless, as a camaro enthusiast,former owner, ANNNDD future owner again... I know I like to punch it on occasion as well. Truthfully what is worse? A kid who thinks his 2 liter is the fastest car on the road? Or driving a Z28 and your car can actually will blow people away? I know, the head swells...

Like stated above, take it to the track (I know I have to remind myself of this as well at times), and for God sakes wear seatbelts.
post #3 of 16 Old 04-24-2008, 06:05 AM

I always thought the people who race in the city like that give gearheads a bad name.

Back when I was street racing we went out of town. It was a undeveloped subdivision, miles of paved roads & only a few scattered houses & no traffic. back then the police had a little more of the buddy system than it seems like now and they knew what we were doing and would stop by once in awhile to check on us. Once in awhile someones car would be too loud and they would tell us to wrap it up because someone could hear us and we would lay off for a couple of weeks. I think the buddy system worked back then since there was a mutual respect, we knew we were not suposed to be street racing and the police knew we were behaving ourselves and respected them when they told us to do something. I guess my point is we drove normal to the track, raced, drove normal back home. We did not do burnouts in town or speed on the way to race, the ones that do that started showing up and the police put an end to it. Now there is a house at the starting line,LOL. Now my interests are in autocross once I get something raceable again.
post #4 of 16 Old 04-24-2008, 07:53 AM

Amen!

Street racing is fun in a video game - it's downright scary and stupid in real life. I've seen some folks do really stupid things in sports cars. It saddens me when I hear about a kid getting killed in an accident, and then seeing a Camaro or Trans Am wrapped around a tree while the details are reported.

When I had my '99 Trans Am WS6 I had a strict policy in my house that only me or my wife could drive it - that car scared me from the moment I drove it off the lot. But I learned how to drive it - and even when I punched it, I topped out at the speed limit (okay, 5 over) - folks said I didn't "truly" know how to drive the car, but I don't care. I'm here, limbs intact, and can't wait to drive a 5th gen. It will have the same requirement as my TA - prove to me you can drive it, or you won't.
post #5 of 16 Old 04-24-2008, 08:04 AM
www.camaroscotty.com

Garage
After being an EMT for a few years, I can't tell you how painful it is on rescue personel using the Jaws of life to cut someone out of a car when they are alert, awake, and in extreme pain. Worse is watching them die before they are cut free from the car.

http://www.camaroscotty.com
YAHOO IM:
CamaroScotty / FACEBOOK: Camaro Scotty
post #6 of 16 Old 04-24-2008, 08:46 AM
Supporter of common sense

Great post Scott - thanks

Joe :: Over Anxious 67 Camaro RS/SS L78
5thgenblog.com // Michigan Classics
Chevrolet Camaro in Transformers // My ebaY auctions

Hot Rod Search Google searches for gearheads!
post #7 of 16 Old 04-24-2008, 12:03 PM

+AMEN

I agree the seat belt and sensable driving is the way to go, from what i see the problem is (at least here is south florida) is that there is no respect for teh car or for driving. The kids today think its a right not a privliage to drive, then mommie and daddie go out and buy them a car. The parents dont make them work for it (the car) they buy it for them and they dont buy cheap little cars either, for the most part. They go out and buy them BMW, merceades, the top of the line typicaly fast cars, and dont teach them to respect he car or others on the road. The cell phone thing drives me crazy,I hate to see drivers on the phone, it makes me want to pull a bull horn out and tell them to get off and drive. I agree there is a time and a place for racing, and that it should be only on a track, and that the people doing it on the streets are giving the rest of the "hot rod" community a bad name.
post #8 of 16 Old 04-24-2008, 02:51 PM
Supporting Super Moderator

I don't even see how anyone could even try to street race here anymore. Traffic alone makes it impossible. I keep my drag racing at the track.

2010 Camaro RS SS LS3 (Bumble Bee) Vin#192 & 8 others made by GM and one Christine
post #9 of 16 Old 04-24-2008, 07:04 PM
ModernCamaro.com Founder / Former Camaro Disciple

Great message! Thanks for posting Scott!

2001 Camaro Z28 H/C/I LH6 A4 3.42

Like ModernCamaro.com on Facebook!
post #10 of 16 Old 04-25-2008, 04:20 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the reminder Scott.

So say we all.

Project: 89 RS => AX/RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page