Anyone else get this email?? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 06-28-2014, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Garage
Anyone else get this email??

I got this email and was wondering if any one else got this???

ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts: You may lose your membership privileges - ACTION REQUIRED‏

Actions
[email protected] ([email protected]) Add to contacts 7:58 PM Keep this message at the top of your inbox
To: [email protected]
[email protected]
We don't want to lose you! Canada has a new anti-spam law that may affect our ability to send you information that you may be interested in receiving. To continue to receive emails and other electronic communications containing ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts information, updates, newsletters, and other promotional materials, please indicate your consent by clicking the button below.

Yes, I consent

If you cannot view the button, you can consent by clicking here

If you do not provide your consent to receive this information, including newsletters and promotional materials, you may still receive certain administrator and notification messages about your account if your account is currently set to receive these messages. You may withdraw your consent at any time and change your communication preferences by using the unsubscribe link.

This message is personalized to you. Please do not forward this email. If you would prefer to receive these messages at another email address, please sign up here. Electronic communications will be sent by ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts, a part of VerticalScope Inc. 111 Peter Street, Suite 700, Toronto, Canada M5H 2H1.

Contact Us

2014 2LT/RS with spring edition package. Proud Litho Owner #28.
post #2 of 13 Old 06-28-2014, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member

nope ... did you get it today?

no way should you click anything

2012 2SS / RS CRT; Additional Options: Highwing Spoiler, Sunroof, Window Tint, Splash Guards, Wheels, Nitro, Heritage Grill, MRT Louvers, Ported Throttle Body, Cold Air Inductions CAI, RX Sport Hood, someone's splitter, River City Strut Bar
Born On: 13 April 2012; Purchased: 27 August 2012
post #3 of 13 Old 06-28-2014, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 83Hokie View Post
nope ... did you get it today?

no way should you click anything
Yes today about 30 minutes ago and i ain't clicking anything

2014 2LT/RS with spring edition package. Proud Litho Owner #28.
post #4 of 13 Old 06-28-2014, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member

definitely not then -- I got something last week n finally got that straightened out ,,, what a PITA

2012 2SS / RS CRT; Additional Options: Highwing Spoiler, Sunroof, Window Tint, Splash Guards, Wheels, Nitro, Heritage Grill, MRT Louvers, Ported Throttle Body, Cold Air Inductions CAI, RX Sport Hood, someone's splitter, River City Strut Bar
post #5 of 13 Old 06-28-2014, 09:05 PM

This legit. The "Yes I consent" is white letters on a green background. Not sure how it will affect you in the US. As it states "We don't want to lose you! Canada has a new anti-spam law that may affect our ability to send you information"

This is because of a new Canadian law that goes into effect as of July 1st I believe. It means no one can send you spam mail unless you consent to their request. In our case, we are sent notices when we have not been on for a certain length of time so that we can log in and continue our membership.

I have received a few of these requests and I have consented since they are from sites that I want to keep receiving emails from. I am on the "other" Camaro forum and get emails from a few threads that I follow so I had to consent to allow that to sent them to me.

I will see if I can confirm whether or not these anti spam messages will apply to Americans and post the results here.

Uncle BoB in Oakville, Ontario
2010 Camaro 1SS 6M, Victory Red
ordered January 4th, 2010; delivered March 5th, 2010
http://unclebob.mangle.ca
post #6 of 13 Old 06-29-2014, 07:01 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
Didn't get it

2013 2LT/ RS Blue Ray Metallic VERT..."Cami"
2010 Grabber Blue Mustang VERT......."Stella Blue"

January 2014 MC Member of the Month!

post #7 of 13 Old 06-29-2014, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas girl View Post
Didn't get it
I have, whatever/wherever it is to set - my profile maybe or set-up, - send me an email message whenever someone enters a message into a thread I have been reading. To continue getting those email notifications, in Canada we get the message in the 1st post to reply to and verify that we want to receive the message.

I also went paperless for my utilities so I have received to same message from them to verify that I want to have them continue to sent me emails that my be considered spam even though I want them.

I am trying to find out if this is just a Canadian law that goes into effect July 1st. If you are in Vegas as indicated by your name on this forum, I wouldn't think that you would be receiving the same email message as we Canadian members do. The other thing that may trigger the message may depend on where the emails are sent from. I am thinking this is an American based forum but I'll also check into that.

post #8 of 13 Old 06-29-2014, 01:59 PM
sdk
Veteran Member

Garage
Not in my inbox. Thanks for the heads up!!!

2017 Camaro SS
South Carolina
post #9 of 13 Old 06-29-2014, 05:06 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob62000 View Post
I have, whatever/wherever it is to set - my profile maybe or set-up, - send me an email message whenever someone enters a message into a thread I have been reading. To continue getting those email notifications, in Canada we get the message in the 1st post to reply to and verify that we want to receive the message.

I also went paperless for my utilities so I have received to same message from them to verify that I want to have them continue to sent me emails that my be considered spam even though I want them.

I am trying to find out if this is just a Canadian law that goes into effect July 1st. If you are in Vegas as indicated by your name on this forum, I wouldn't think that you would be receiving the same email message as we Canadian members do. The other thing that may trigger the message may depend on where the emails are sent from. I am thinking this is an American based forum but I'll also check into that.
the OP is also in the US, so by this theory, he should not have received it either ... will be interesting to hear what you find out though

post #10 of 13 Old 06-30-2014, 08:24 PM

Here are some things that I have found on the spam message that we have had in our forum

Google spam laws and you will get selections for info on “spam laws us” and “spam laws canada”. These 2 selections will give you a lot of information.

Here are a couple of links to some interesting reading. I am sure there is a lot more info that shows this is not something new and just thought up. It appears both Canada and the US have been working on this for quite a few years but we are just hearing about it now.

Key Differences Between US And Canadian Anti-Spam Laws - Data Protection - Canada

U.S. State Anti-Spam Laws: Introduction and Broader Framework | LII / Legal Information Institute

It looks that the Name and address information for the company that appears to be responsible for the messages that we have been getting on our forum is in the last 2 lines of the message. I have received several similar messages with different company information in the last 2 lines of the message asking for consent.

This is rather lengthy but it indicates that while the new law is intended to protect internet users it will also inconvenience a lot of businesses. It also applies to anyone trying to install software on your computer without you knowing it, which is good for us.

New anti-spam law 'hassle' for small business owners in N.B.
CBCCBC – 2 hours 12 minutes ago

Some small business owners in New Brunswick are not happy about the new federal legislation limiting internet spam, which takes effect on July 1.
The law is designed to protect Canadian internet users from identity theft, phishing scams, spyware and unsolicited advertisements.
​But Terry Avery, the owner of the Carman Creek Golf Course in Fredericton, says under the new law, any email addresses customers gave him are now useless.
"That's the only way we get emails. We don't go buying lists or anything like that," he said.
"They've already voluntarily given us their email, but now we have to do it all over again."
Avery says it's a hassle to him and to the thousands of people who have subscribed to his business.
"What we'll have to do is send out an email and have people re-opt in. These are the same people that opted in to begin with," he said.
Many businesses unprepared
Beginning Canada Day, businesses that send texts, emails, instant messages, Facebook messages, or any other type of electronic commercial message, will have to meet several requirements.
Every electronic message will have to include the full name of the sender, their mailing address, website, phone number and the ability to unsubscribe — which the company must act on within 10 days.
Those who don't comply with the legislation risk hefty fines of up to $1 million for individuals and up to $10 million for businesses.
A spokeswoman for the Canadian Federation of Independent Business has said most small business owners aren't ready for the new law, which will restrict how they communicate electronically with clients and prospects.
Although there were months of consultation by the Canadian Radio-Television and Telecommunications Commission before it published regulations in 2012 and the agency has provided extensive online documents about how they may be interpreted, the CFIB is working with the CRTC to provide simplified explanations appropriate to smaller businesses, vice-president Corinne Pohlmann said.
Fredericton-area resident Amy Ferguson says she'll be happy if the changes mean fewer annoying advertisements trying to sell her items or services she does not want.
"The spam never pertains to anything I'm interested in," said the 39-year-old. "I get a lot of online dating for seniors," she said.
In January, the new laws will expand further, making it illegal to have software installed on a computer without express consent.

So folks, it's a legitimate message meant to protect us and we will be getting a lot more of them from people that we want to receive email info from.
BoB

Last edited by uncle_bob62000; 06-30-2014 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Edited to correct spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page