The good, bad and ugly or even close calls - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 06-30-2008, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

The good, bad and ugly or even close calls

Share some of your stories about getting tickets and/or close calls. I have a few but will try to stick to the good ones

1. As said in another thread, my 1st ticket, I ran out of gas and had to ask for a ride home. I was pulled over doing 62 in a 35. I was glad that was all cause I was slowing from 100 mph-no cross streets and no traffic
2. Me and 2 friends were on our way to Galveston Mardi Gras (17 yrs old). I am in the 68 Camaro with the beer (unopened), 2 friends are in the 87 Iroc next to me asking which way to turn ahead. Cop pulls him over for try to invoke in a race
3. I was having trouble with my 68 not running right. Left my girlfriends house one night and pulled onto a street and just stomped on it out of anger, with the car problems not the girl. Got pulled over and the first thing the cop said was "what you got in here, a BIG BLOCK?!?!"
4. Was sitting at a red light on Westheimer ( a street known for weekend drag racing) on a friday or saturday night with 4 people in the car. Then a 79 or 80 Trans Am that was tubbed pulls next to me. Of course I get ready, put it in 1st (turbo 350) look in my rearview and see a cop behind me. Light turns green and we both drive off normally but he gets pulled over anyway Oh well, at least it wasnt me.
5. The worst one was I was attending some street races, after they were done and all of us were in a parking lot, probably 20 - 30 cars. I decided to leave. My friends were staying but told me to "show off" as I left. So I did...gave it all it had, burned them through 1st, 2nd and chirped 3rd. A car pulls out behind me and yup, it was a cop. No ticket, just went straight to jail on a Suturday night. He was well hidden in all the other cars.

Sold the 68
Ready for the 2010
post #2 of 18 Old 06-30-2008, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member

Oh so many!

1. - Most recent. Pulling through an intersection that is 3 lanes each side with a median and specific turn lanes. I get to the middle of the median, infront of the turn lanes and I hear an ambulance. I yield to the ambulance and my light turns red. My first thought is to clear the intersection so as to not get a grid lock ticket. As I hammer the gas, I hear this HUGE roar and the firetruck (you know, the one that usually follows an ambulance) just misses me. I immediately pull to the right, and a cop come smoking around the corner and almost hits me. He assumes that I have blown the signal because I am in a hurry. He tells me he expects to see me at least 100 yards down the road. I explain that I never heard the firetruck. He then starts the "were you on the phone or was the radio to loud", to which I tell him there is no phone (as I had left it on my desk at work) and the radio was not attached to the head unit. After searching my car (with my permission and disclosure that the was a firearm in a locked container), the cop found no phone and let me off. He did suggest that I bake the firefighters some cookies though!

2. - Driving a 95 4Runner. Just hooked up my radar detector. Took a running start at the on ramp (6 banger with 150 hp) and was up to about 80 once I got on the freeway. Got pulled immediately, and the cop asked "Radar dectector? How's that workin for you?" Thank goodness for traffic school.

3. - Long stretch of road from the base of my college campus to the west entrance. About 6 pm. Decided to let the 69 Camaro breath a little bit. After cycling the gears, I passed a cop going the other direction at about
90. He braked and U-turned. I got to the front gate, parked, killed the motor, exited the car and placed my keys on the roof and hands on the front of the hood. Cop arrives, suprised that I am there. My comment was, they new I lived on campus, it would not be hard to find me. His comment was, thanks for pulling over, try speeding at night when you lights have more effect and you can see me comming. No ticket!

IBM RS/SS: Vortech V3 (7.5lbs/boost) Trinity/Dyno Tune/Texas Speed LT w/Magnaflow Comp MGW Shifter/Tint/Heritage Grill/AVIC Z120 Orion Sub & Amp/Bravado Wheels (20 x9.5/11) Just fast enough ... for now!
post #3 of 18 Old 06-30-2008, 12:03 PM

I have three that I will never forget.

I am heading out of the city of Chicago on the Ontario feeder ramp to the Eisenhower Expressway when a Chicago cop pulls me over. Mind you, I am 18 or 19 at the time, and from the suburbs. He asks for my license and asks if my record is clean. I reply by saying, "Define clean". He looks at me and goes back to his crusier to check my record I suppose. When he returns, he hands me my license and says, :""Buy me lunch, and be on your way". I have no idea what he is asking, and it is obvious it shows on my face. I must have looked like a deer in the headlights to him. Suddenly it dawns on me and with my wallet in my hands, I pull out a $10.00 bill. I go to hand it to him - He says in anger, "What the hell are you doing?" I am totally confused now. He looks at this naive kid from the 'burbs and says, "Drop it on the ground, and drive away". To which I did.

Another time I am on the 405 Freeway heading to Los Angeles Int'l Airport from Newport Beach at roughly 6:00 am on a weekday. I am cruising in the fast lane when I come up on a VW Bug doing about 65 mph. Yeah I rode his ass hoping he would get out of my way when suddenly I hear a loud tapping on the passenger side rear window- Startled, I look over to see a California Highway Patrol Motor cop (on a motorcycle) ridng alongside me - He motions with his nightstick for me to get off that guys rear, so I slow to proper distance while at the same time the CHP Officer weaves his way across two lanes to continue on his way. It wasn't until afterwards when I thought how stupid that was of him to do - I could have swerved and killed him. I guess it was both his and my lucky day.

Finally, I am on the 55 Freeway heading home into Newport Beach (California) in weekday morning trafific when I decide to enter the Diamond Lane (car pool lane) - I travel about a 1/2 mile I guess when suddenly traffic is stopped due to a crash up ahead. I have nowhere to go - As I proceed futher, I can see a CHP Officer standing next to his cruiser staring at me coming towards him. I am forced to stop. He approaches my car and says, "What the hell are you doing in my Diamond Lane?!" He was pissed, rightfully so. I told him a pickup truck swerved at me and I had to enter the lane to avoid being side swept. He didn't buy it, and said so. He then told me never to let him catch me in the Diamond Lane again driving solo, and made a car yield to me so as I could get into the stopped traffic lanes.

Oh yeah there were others like drag racing, speeding, and such, but those three experiences I will never forget.

Last edited by jkidd; 06-30-2008 at 12:08 PM.
post #4 of 18 Old 06-30-2008, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member

jkidd -

You left Newport Beach for Chicago ... I hope she was worth it.

IBM RS/SS: Vortech V3 (7.5lbs/boost) Trinity/Dyno Tune/Texas Speed LT w/Magnaflow Comp MGW Shifter/Tint/Heritage Grill/AVIC Z120 Orion Sub & Amp/Bravado Wheels (20 x9.5/11) Just fast enough ... for now!
post #5 of 18 Old 06-30-2008, 01:09 PM
See You On Course

Have many, but this was my favorite.

In high school, my dad had a 78 Datsun 280z, silver. A friend of mine had a beat up 260z, but silver. I lived away from school, and had to drive on a parkway to get there. My friend's girlfriend lived near me, and he picked her up on the way. So... my car broke, and my dad was out of town, so I had to take his car to school. Got on the parkway, and flew. Saw my friend in his "matching" Z going the other way.

Later, I got to school, and my friend caught up with me, and said "Dude! Right after I saw you, there was a cop flying up with his lights on, and he saw me, and hit the brakes and tried to turn around and come after me! He thought I was you!"

Luckily, my friend took a quick exit and some quick turns and lost the cop before he could get back on him. But I thought it was hilarious! I Was oblivious to the cop, never saw him, but my buddy tanked him for me!

2010 Stock IBM 2SS/RS

I found $80 in my jeans pocket. The kid in me said "buy nerf guns and candy!" But then the adult in me said "buy vodka, nerf guns and candy!"

post #6 of 18 Old 06-30-2008, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Kills View Post
jkidd -

You left Newport Beach for Chicago ... I hope she was worth it.
Actually, she came with me when the current job brought me back home to Chicago.
post #7 of 18 Old 06-30-2008, 08:52 PM
Dark Side Moderator

turn the TV on now. Im the one in the front on the helicopters' videos. Im the guy waving. I post back in a minute, I think they just laid the strip down and posting on my MotoQ is hard going over 100. Ill let you guys know.

2005 Mustang GT-4.6L 3v /M5
2.3L Whipple Intercooled, 3.25'' pulley(11psi),FRPP 62mm TB, FRPP Stinger Axleback, UPR catted X-pipe, FRPP Handling Pack, 20'' Staggered Black Steeda Spyder Wheels, NT-05 Nittos, 3.73s, Hurst Shifter, and DF Centerforce Clutch
527rwhp, 479rwtq
post #8 of 18 Old 06-30-2008, 10:08 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkidd View Post
Actually, she came with me when the current job brought me back home to Chicago.
She must be a keeper! Good for both of you!!

post #9 of 18 Old 06-30-2008, 10:09 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
turn the TV on now. Im the one in the front on the helicopters' videos. Im the guy waving. I post back in a minute, I think they just laid the strip down and posting on my MotoQ is hard going over 100. Ill let you guys know.

Jinx,

Did shunt ever make his way home to you (or did he drink the bottle of Blue Label I sent with him for you)? I only ask as it pertains to the poor souls who approach your car after the spike strip. I will be staying up all night looking for the video feed.

post #10 of 18 Old 07-01-2008, 06:32 PM

Gunpoint

It was mothers day and my friends and I were putting in one of the plastic ponds for my mom. We got bored pretty quick and started throwing smoke bombs at one another. Eventually i ran inside and got my airsoft gun,"its kinda like a pellet gun" so i got mine and started shooting them with my buddy, he had grabbed my other gun. Obviously my friends didn't enjoy being shot so they got into my buddys car and went to get theirs. So we got in my truck and followed them. Eventually it turned into a full fledged gun battle between racing cars on the back roads. Some people saw us and thought that our guns were real, so they called the cops, unknowingly we continued on are pursuit and eventually t escalated alot. We got pulled over on a mian highway. They pulled us out at gunpoint, and gave us a good talking over. Apparently someone had told them we were shooting at their house, we didnt. So they thought we were like gang members or something and there were like ten cop cars there. Freaked my **** out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page