How many people have gone back to school? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 07-14-2008, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

How many people have gone back to school?

I graduated high school in 2001. Unfortunately, I never pursued a higher education. There were multiple reasons I did not head to college, but I've done my best to no longer be bitter.

I am rather content with my current job/career, but I am worried that should something happen, I have nothing to fall back on. I also feel like I could be more valuable to my company if I had a degree.

So, how many of you have decided to head back to school after joining the "real world" right out of high school? Did you go to class on campus or do distance learning? What did you decide to go to school for and how has it impacted your life and career?

www.fquick.com/demonspeed
Present: '02 SS #7146
Past: '89 IROC-Z|'91 Z28|'00 SS #0795|'01 Z28
post #2 of 24 Old 07-14-2008, 12:45 PM
Supporting Super Moderator

I went to a descent high school. Most of all of my friends immediately went from high school to college. I chose not to since I was completely lost. All of them basically went on a 1-2 yr vacation and wound up failing out due to spending more time drinking and having too much fun. I knew I would meet the same fate had i followed. My road wasn't easy since I went straight to work. Eventually I woke up and decided to go back to school. It took me sometime to figure out exactly what to do, but in the mean time I took all of the general basic stuff that just about any degree would need. Make sure your credits are transferable to other schools so what you do take won't be a complete loss in case for some reason you change your mind. I never quit my daytime job since we have 2 colleges that offer classes late in the eve. The students were more serious about getting some where in life and that alone made being there more enjoyable to me. It took some time to finally get my degree but it was well worth it. It may seem like its going to take forever to finish, but it flew by. Do it just don't give up while doing it.

2010 Camaro RS SS LS3 (Bumble Bee) Vin#192 & 8 others made by GM and one Christine
post #3 of 24 Old 07-14-2008, 12:48 PM

I graduated high school in 1999 and then attended a community college for 2 years (Civil Engineering transfer courses) then had a child. I then had to find a real job and support a family and therefore was unable to complete my education. I got married and took on some other responsibilities for the next four years. During those four years I learned that I needed to finish my education if I was to go anywhere. I ended up transferring my credits to a four year college and acquiring my bachelor degree. I attended the college while leaving my family back home (better that way because there is less of a distraction). Distance education is okay for basic classes but I would not suggest it for higher level courses.
I am very pleased with the decision to go back to school because it has made finding a job much easier. I had multiple job offers before I left school and essentially just had to choose where I wanted to live. The pay is okay and will only get better. The only thing that I didn't like about going back to school was the fact that I had to go into debt to do so.
post #4 of 24 Old 07-14-2008, 01:26 PM

I had to goto work before I even completed high school. I worked 60+ hours a week and miraculously graduated. During the next several years I impressed my bosses with my work ethic and leadership skills. Unfortunately, because I didn't have a degree I was passed up for promotion countless times.

I went back to school almost 4 years ago. I have been working 6/7 days week for most of that time. I have 3 more classes to go to get my .... associate's degree. I plan on continuing my studies until I get a master's degree.
post #5 of 24 Old 07-14-2008, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Greats stories. It's very encouraging. Keep 'em coming!

www.fquick.com/demonspeed
Present: '02 SS #7146
Past: '89 IROC-Z|'91 Z28|'00 SS #0795|'01 Z28
post #6 of 24 Old 07-14-2008, 02:37 PM
See You On Course

I went to Va Tech for 1.5 years, and my dad dropped me out because I failed a class. (Geology - hated it). He was pissed. So, I went to work. Did programming next to a guy with a degree. He got a salary, I got $8 an hour. We did the same work.

So I started night school at local Comm College. 3 Semesters, all A's. My dad was impressed, and said he would pay for college again. So I started back up at Clemson, finished in 3 years.

I would say that the degree drove me back to finish. But a lot of companies see 3-4 years of experience in your fields as just as important as a college degree. I would rather have a programmer working for me now that has experience, whether they had a degree or not. But that's programming. We're a different breed.

2010 Stock IBM 2SS/RS

I found $80 in my jeans pocket. The kid in me said "buy nerf guns and candy!" But then the adult in me said "buy vodka, nerf guns and candy!"

post #7 of 24 Old 07-14-2008, 02:37 PM
Veteran Member

Went to a Trade School Fresh out of Highschool That lasted 8 months Untill I got Into a Small Tool and Die Shop as an Aprentice Worked There Till I got my JourneyMens Card Then Moved Onto GM As a Diemaker And at the Same Time Went to school To get a Degree In Business Then 5 Years Ago Started My own Tool and Die Shop while i was still At GM i always new GM Wouldnt Be where I retired From ....Well About A month ago I was offered To be Bout out....I took it with a Smile Now all my Focus Is on My Shop And Expanding it.

'Winning'
post #8 of 24 Old 07-14-2008, 02:50 PM
Veteran Member

I graduated in 1994 and played Navy from there on. I started classes in '03 then stopped, then picked them back up in '06, then stopped. Then I got deployed to Kuwait and should have continued taking classes. I went back full time in January and I just stopped my classes in the first session of the summer. I'm deploying again. Now I'm taking classes this deployment and it's going to be hard but I'm determined to keep going. When I get back, hopefully we'll be moving and I can attend UTEP (University of Texas El Paso) and finally get my BS in Geology. We just found out that they have 3 Geo related Doctorate programs. Since that is my goal, we're trying to transfer to El Paso.

CUONCRS, I would have totally tutored you. Geology is a passion of mine. Yes, I'm really that weird.

Still a wannabe.
post #9 of 24 Old 07-14-2008, 03:10 PM

I went right to a 4-year school after high school (University of Wash.), I was lucky enough to know what I wanted to do with life. I was pretty much destined to be an engineer, I was good with math and science, but horrible at english and related classes. I also knew that I didn't want a career field that was a fad or live as a struggling artist, my one other skill. But at college I watched so many others come in right after high school and struggle to no end. I had friends drop out, some that are still in school (over 6 years) with no degree in sight and no passion for any field just living on Daddy's check book. The only people that continuously impressed me were the ones that took time off before coming back to school. I was friends with a couple of guys in their 30's who came back for an engineering degree and I never saw anyone work harder or with more determination. They were also so much better at managing their time, not like the other people in their early 20's trying to figure out how to manage their hang-overs during the week.

So don't be deterred, if you can handle the extra financial burden it will definitely be worth it, and it is very achieveable, just don't go in looking for a degree in anything, find what you like and what will give you a job when you're done.
post #10 of 24 Old 07-14-2008, 03:56 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modsled View Post
Went to a Trade School Fresh out of Highschool That lasted 8 months Untill I got Into a Small Tool and Die Shop as an Aprentice Worked There Till I got my JourneyMens Card Then Moved Onto GM As a Diemaker And at the Same Time Went to school To get a Degree In Business Then 5 Years Ago Started My own Tool and Die Shop while i was still At GM i always new GM Wouldnt Be where I retired From ....Well About A month ago I was offered To be Bout out....I took it with a Smile Now all my Focus Is on My Shop And Expanding it.
As a teacher, I have to comment on the above quote ... spell check?

Mine is a bit different. I went straight to college in 1986 (yeah, I know, I'm OLD). I took time off after graduation and started teaching. My degree in Psychology left me wanting for a job (the ecomomy was slowing doen) in Human Resources. After a few years of teaching, it was time to go get my Masters. I was NOT VERY excited about going back to the student side of the classroom. Long story short, my degree has made me infinitley more marketable. Yours will too! Make the most of it and stick with it. I am not in one of the few recession proof careers (I do have 17 years experience). Did I mention that I was old?

IBM RS/SS: Vortech V3 (7.5lbs/boost) Trinity/Dyno Tune/Texas Speed LT w/Magnaflow Comp MGW Shifter/Tint/Heritage Grill/AVIC Z120 Orion Sub & Amp/Bravado Wheels (20 x9.5/11) Just fast enough ... for now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page