With Winter...sort of coming...about to buy my own "Winter Beater"/2nd car for wife.. - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 11-04-2015, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

With Winter...sort of coming...about to buy my own "Winter Beater"/2nd car for wife..

Well, I have been doing some thinking.

I am coming into some $$ in early December, and I own a 2015 Camaro purchased in August (aka "Cheri") that now has 2685 miles on her.

After checking with my dealer and finding the only winter tires available are some General All-Weather tires for about $750 but they don't even stock "steelie" rims there in the 19" size my ride needs.

So, I've been doing some shopping for a "Winter Beater" (possibly 4WD) which would be a winter ride when snow and such crud are on the road, and also would do double duty as a second car for my spouse once she earns her drivers' license (she's in her fifties, like me, but never had a license).

I found one (well, I made arrangements to put a deposit down with the seller in about two weeks if he doesn't sell it first) and he'd be fine with me buying it cash in early December when I have my cash.

It's a nice little used 2006 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport Wagon/mini SUV in such good trim (and just over 100K miles on it) that it's hard to call it a "beater". Test-drove it today and my wife LOVED it and said she'd be as pleased as punch to drive it as her first car when I'm not using it in bad weather (or to haul stuff home from Home Depot with the rear seat folded down). It's sort of a case of deja vu' for me, since it's the same color as my old 2006 Sube Impreza sedan, and even has the same interior color and look.

Looking forward to picking this up in December and posting pictures of it next to or nose-to-nose with its Camaro sibling. Sort of an "odd couple" of cars, but one I hope will treat me well. Wish me luck!

FreddoK
[SIZE="1"][I]
Cars Owned Since 2006.....
2006-13 2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5I Coupe
2013-15 2012 VW Jetta Sedan
2015-present 2015 Chevrolet Camaro LT1 Coupe
post #2 of 11 Old 11-04-2015, 04:44 PM
Veteran Member

Where are you at FreddoK? Always good to have an option for inclimate weather ... it sounds like a plus that you will have a second that the wife can use too.

2012 2SS / RS CRT; Additional Options: Highwing Spoiler, Sunroof, Window Tint, Splash Guards, Wheels, Nitro, Heritage Grill, MRT Louvers, Ported Throttle Body, Cold Air Inductions CAI, RX Sport Hood, someone's splitter, River City Strut Bar
Born On: 13 April 2012; Purchased: 27 August 2012
post #3 of 11 Old 11-04-2015, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

83Hokie: I'm in Philadelphia, PA. A good second option is needed for bad winter weather up here. Even the fellows at the Parts Counter today at my Chevy Dealer (where I picked up my Camaro) recommended use of a second car when the weather is really bad. I was advised it could be driven if I bought General All-Season tires for it, but it's not recommended if the snow is over 3". Since we usually have a few storms like that in the winter, that's where the Camaro would be garaged and the Subaru would really be put to work. Subarus tend to sell like hotcakes around here in the winter.

FreddoK
[SIZE="1"][I]
post #4 of 11 Old 11-06-2015, 06:48 AM

Go to Tire Rack and get a winter setup (Blizzak). They will ship to your house all mounted and balanced ready to go. I have a 2011 2SS/RS that is getting ready for it's 5th winter in Metro Detroit. Run Blizzaks and have absolutely no issues even in deep snow (8 to 11 inches). Mine has about 160K on the odometer. Best car I've ever owned.
post #5 of 11 Old 12-13-2015, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Since my spouse also wanted a car, we took the "winter beater" approach and we purchased a used (in good shape) 2006 Subaru Outback as a second car. A picture is given below:

It's been useful because I've purchased some furniture and used it to take the stuff home myself.

FreddoK
[SIZE="1"][I]
post #6 of 11 Old 12-13-2015, 02:33 PM
Premium Member

Garage
I second the Blizzak option,..... if you don't want to spring for a 4x4.

I chose a Silverado 4x4 as my winter vehicle. That thing goes like a tank in the snow.

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
Click the pic.. I don't tolerate fools.
post #7 of 11 Old 12-13-2015, 03:46 PM
Veteran Member

yep, if you have any measurable snow, its nice to have options ... Ram 4X4 with lots of ground clearance here for my not very timely plowed road ... haven't had a problem yet, including 20+" snows

2012 2SS / RS CRT; Additional Options: Highwing Spoiler, Sunroof, Window Tint, Splash Guards, Wheels, Nitro, Heritage Grill, MRT Louvers, Ported Throttle Body, Cold Air Inductions CAI, RX Sport Hood, someone's splitter, River City Strut Bar
post #8 of 11 Old 12-14-2015, 08:13 AM
Premium Member

I moved south because I didn't like that kind of snow. If we get an inch or more they shut everything down. It's a good idea because some of these people can't drive on dry pavement. Snow is pretty to look at, but I never did do cold very well.
post #9 of 11 Old 12-15-2015, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbvinla View Post
I moved south because I didn't like that kind of snow. If we get an inch or more they shut everything down. It's a good idea because some of these people can't drive on dry pavement. Snow is pretty to look at, but I never did do cold very well.
good idea ... maybe one day i'll get there

post #10 of 11 Old 12-15-2015, 05:45 PM
sdk
Veteran Member

Garage
Come on down. Sunny and 75 today. I took the top off for the drive home from work.

2017 Camaro SS
South Carolina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page