Modern cars SUCK! - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 02-05-2016, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Garage
Modern cars SUCK!

All the nannies that are there to do things for you....

An automatic transmission that shifts FOR you, better that you EVER could.
Traction control to keep your tires on the road.
Stabilitrak/Active Handling to help maintain control of the vehicle in emergency lane changes or avoidance maneuvers.
The headlights turn on for you when it gets dark.
Electric windows and locks.
Power seats....heated too.
Remote start.
TPMS to check tire pressure for you.
Automatic control of engine timing. No pesky knob on the dash to adjust timing.
Electric start.
Automatic 4x4 on the trucks/SUVs.
OnStar to help you if you get in a crash.
Voice activated controls of entertainment/communications. (Onboard cell phone too.)

I swear there are people who would complain if you gave them a solid gold brick.

...they'd whine that it was too heavy.

Seriously, advances in technology are GREAT, and I LOVE my Chevy!

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
Click the pic.. I don't tolerate fools.
post #2 of 5 Old 02-05-2016, 03:03 PM

Silly 21st century.

I had someone come up to my Camaro and ask me how I thought it compared to the first gen. I replied that I thought it was better.
He said, "It looks more comfortable." I said, "Yes, it is."
"And it goes faster, stops faster, and turns faster."
I didn't even mention the reliability, driveability, fuel mileage, or safety.

Obviously unimpressed, he said again, "It looks more comfortable." and shook his head.
"Yes, it is." I replied again and turned away.

post #3 of 5 Old 02-06-2016, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
I had someone come up to my Camaro and ask me how I thought it compared to the first gen. I replied that I thought it was better.
He said, "It looks more comfortable." I said, "Yes, it is."
"And it goes faster, stops faster, and turns faster."
I didn't even mention the reliability, driveability, fuel mileage, or safety.

Obviously unimpressed, he said again, "It looks more comfortable." and shook his head.
"Yes, it is." I replied again and turned away.

I agree, it is more comfortable.

My new '15 is OK and easy to drive with its smooth hydraulic clutch, 6 close ratio gears and a nice smooth quiet engine that you have to look at the tach to confirm it is really running during idle.

Eh!
Thought I could regain the feeling, but there's "nothing like the real thing" in its day......a first gen out of the box, the first of their kind, wolves in the day of sheep, when the only real competitors were 'Cudas, 'Vettes, T-birds, Chargers and Goats.

My new red '69 R/T striped "cop magnet" with a 302, 4bbl, 4 spd Hurst, a high rise cam and dual exhaust whose staccato rumble vibrated the windows of the car next to you and shook the fillings in your teeth at idle. But when you popped the clutch she smoothed right out burning rubber through the first 3 gears as the babe next to you let out with a scream and you're pushed back into the tacky vinyl seats. Yes, the new ones may go faster, stop faster and turn faster just like every other modern vehicle on the road compared with its predecessor....but smooth and easy operation takes a lot of the fun out of it.....gone is the bite when you pull back on the T handle shift, feel the pressure plate rod kick the pedal against your left foot as your ass gets a boot, your head snaps back with the sound of screeching rubber filling your ears. You really felt the speed and felt at one with the road.

And yes, the reliability, driveability, fuel mileage and safety is better.....so what? Gone is the fun of lifting the hood with your buddies and goosing the carb mixture and timing to get an extra kick and who even checked gas mileage when you could fill the tank for under $5.......and safety functions were limited to a belt designed to keep you in your seat on a fast turn and the excitement of your skill in driving rather than depending upon crumple zones and balloons to save your ass when you screw-up.

Nowadays the ride is so smooth, I have to set the stupid beeper in the DIC to warn me that the **** thing is going over the speed limit. Sometimes progress sucks! I'd trade my new '15 for a new '69 in a heartbeat.

Current Chevys - '15 Camaro LS '16 Silverado LT Z71; '16 new Malibu LT; '15 Traverse LT2
Previous Chevys: '13 Avalanche; '12 Avalanche LT; '11 Tahoe LT; '11 Malibu LS; '08 Trailblazer; '07 Avalanche; '06 Colorado WT....'80 Citation (POS); '75 Impala; 72 Chevelle; '69 Camaro R/T; '65 Impala SS; '62 Nova; '53 model 210

Last edited by Thomcat; 02-06-2016 at 07:33 AM.
post #4 of 5 Old 02-07-2016, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Garage
...it was sarcasm, highlighted by the statement:"...there are people who would complain if you gave them a solid gold brick.

...they'd whine that it was too heavy."

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
Click the pic.. I don't tolerate fools.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-09-2016, 06:22 PM
sdk
Veteran Member

Garage
Nostalgia is nice, but today's technology is freaking awesome. If I had unlimited funds, I would like to have a few classic cars such as a 68-72 Corvette, 69 Camaro, 59 Cadillac, 69 or 70 Mustang, just to name a few.

2017 Camaro SS
South Carolina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page