Street racer pulled from burning car - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 05-15-2016, 05:41 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Garage
Street racer pulled from burning car

Caught on Camera: Riverside Man Pulls Driver From Fiery Rollover Street Racing Crash | NBC 7 San Diego

In an act caught on camera, a Riverside mattress store manager pulled a stranger from a burning car after a rollover crash Tuesday.
"I see a car on fire out my window," Santiago Portillo said. "It looked unreal."
Video Shows Man Firing Automatic Rifle at Deputies
Two cars were street-racing down Indiana Avenue Tuesday when witnesses said one of the drivers lost control, struck a light pole and rolled over onto the sidewalk, Riverside police said.
Portillo was working at Mattress Showroom at 10151 Indiana Avenue early that morning. When he heard the impact and saw the flames, he ran outside to find a flipped car burning up.
Good Samaritan Pulls Driver From Burning Car[LA] Good Samaritan Pulls Driver From Burning Car
One one man came to help him pull the driver far enough away to safety just in case the car exploded. Tony Shin reports for the NBC4 News at 5 p.m. on Wednesday, May 11, 2016. (Published Wednesday, May 11, 2016)
He whipped out his cellphone and started recording, but something made him pause.
"I saw an arm hanging out the window and a sweater," Portillo said. "I knew there was a human life in there. I just wasn't going to witness that guy getting roasted."
Top News Photos of the Week[NATL] Top News Photos of the Week
He put down the phone and jumped into action. The video kept rolling.
Portillo can be seen running to the car and pulling out the unconscious driver, who was badly injured.
"I went inside the car. There was fire going through the vents," Portillo said.
All while pulling the stranger to safety, Portillo said he saw others watching, and some recording.
"They were just recording with their iPads, filming everything, but no one would come help," Portillo said.
Riverside police are investigating the wreck as a street racing crash.
The crash victim was identified as Ricardo Nunez, who was still recovering at a hospital in Riverside. Nunez' mother said he is doing better.
Regardless of why the crashed happened, Santiago's mother Bridget is just glad her son was able to save the driver's life.
Portillo's young daughters are also calling him a hero.
"I'm not a hero, I'm just a human being," Portillo said. "I'll do it all over again for anybody."
Investigators said the injured driver suffered non-life-threatening injuries. It wasn't immediately clear if he would face any charges.
Riverside police are also looking for the driver of the other car, which appeared to be a white newer-model Scion.
Published at 8:27 PM PDT on May 11, 2016

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
Click the pic.. I don't tolerate fools.
post #2 of 2 Old 05-15-2016, 05:50 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
Glad it worked out like it did. All too often you read about things like this and the good Samaritan ends up getting hurt/killed while trying to help out....

Chuck
2010 SIM 2SS/RS A6 SC - Born on 10/05/09
MyCamaroBuildInfo

"You Were Really Flyin' When I Passed You Back There!"
February-2013-MOTM-Winner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page