When is it tattling time? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 10-23-2008, 07:03 AM Thread Starter

When is it tattling time?

So its 5:55 am here and I've been up for a half an hour. I didn't need to be up until 6 for work, but apparently my neighbors have decided otherwise. I can hear the news on their tv as plain as day while I'm laying in bed. I live in a relatively expensive apartment complex and have for over a year, I've had no problems with the neighbors so far until this new couple has moved in next door.

I've now had numerous noise issues with them, but I had just treated them as isolated events, which everyone is entitled to on occasion. This one just pushes me over the top. Even pounding on the way repeatedly did nothing. Over the past few days; they had a huge yelling match at 11 at night, have the tv loud numerous occasions after 11 and before 6, not to mention that during certain activities their furniture slams against the wall (I don't care how distracted you may be, wouldn't you notice that?).

So I'm wondering when do I just go straight to the apartment staff? I'm not huge on confrontations, and I don't want to start some kind of fued, but this is getting ridiculous and I pay too much to live here to deal with this.

2011 Synergy Green Metallic 1SS Camaro:
RS Package, White Ralley Stripes, Premium Sound.
Mods; Flowmaster Exhaust, Vararam CAI, Pfadt Sport Suspension, Budnik "Ice" Wheels, Nitto Invo tires
Upcoming Mods; Custom grill and badging.
post #2 of 12 Old 10-23-2008, 07:21 AM

depends, if you go to the apartment management their gonna start asking who reported them.

go to the cops, say sound ordinances are being violated.
post #3 of 12 Old 10-23-2008, 08:51 AM

I have had to deal with those issues and they can sometimes go very bad. If you think they will become confrontational, talk to apt. management and ask them to speak with them but keep your name out of it. If that does not work, call police
post #4 of 12 Old 10-23-2008, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRRRR8 View Post
I have had to deal with those issues and they can sometimes go very bad. If you think they will become confrontational, talk to apt. management and ask them to speak with them but keep your name out of it. If that does not work, call police
^^^ agreed...that's what I'd do.

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.
post #5 of 12 Old 10-23-2008, 11:33 AM

As hard as it is, talking to THEM first would likely net better results. Running off and getting management involved will very likely net you an unfriendly neighbor (unless there's just no way they would be able to think it was you). Police involvement would be even worse. You may be living next to these people for a long while - I would highly suggest not creating bad blood if there was even the slightest possibility that speaking to them directly, and civilly, could solve the situation.
post #6 of 12 Old 10-23-2008, 11:35 AM
Banned

I would suggest getting out of the apartment and buying a recently forclosed house...Not a better time to buy.
post #7 of 12 Old 10-23-2008, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkikuchi View Post
As hard as it is, talking to THEM first would likely net better results. Running off and getting management involved will very likely net you an unfriendly neighbor (unless there's just no way they would be able to think it was you). Police involvement would be even worse. You may be living next to these people for a long while - I would highly suggest not creating bad blood if there was even the slightest possibility that speaking to them directly, and civilly, could solve the situation.
This is the route that I took. 1st my wife which is a saint, then myself, then they started harassing my wife, then well.............lets just say they found out real quick they picked the wrong person to F##K with! They moved!
post #8 of 12 Old 10-23-2008, 12:39 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkikuchi View Post
As hard as it is, talking to THEM first would likely net better results. Running off and getting management involved will very likely net you an unfriendly neighbor (unless there's just no way they would be able to think it was you).
That's usually a good idea, the only problem is...if it doesn't help and you have to eventually go to management, then it's obvious who made the complaint...if they are real pricks, they can make your life even more miserable. Being that your in an apartment building, I'd say go to management...they'll have no way of knowing who made the complaint.

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.
post #9 of 12 Old 10-23-2008, 01:03 PM
Veteran Member

I am an assistant property manager. This is what I would do:

STOP banging on the wall. That is the worst thing to do. If you feel comfortable enough, talk to them. Just let them know that you can hear them. They may be entirely oblivious to how loud they are truely being. Banging on the wall makes you seem like a wuss and a jerk.

Manangement can send them a generic letter just asking them to be considerate of their neighbors and adhere to the community quiet hours. Now, as some people have said, you may not want them knowing who made the complaint should you go to the office. Any professional management company will not disclose that it was you who made the complaint. The fact of the matter is it's too late. You've already beat on the wall, so they know it's you. Management can only do so much because it's one persons word against another. They [the loud people] may say they are being quiet and YOU are the one harassing them about the noise. Furthermore, we judge "too loud" by - if you can hear it in the hallway, then it's too loud. When something is that loud, then the police need to be called. So, the last resort is to call the police when there is a large amount of noise.

I would go and talk to to them about the noise, but make sure you apologize about banging on the wall. Just try not to be too confrontational so they don't go on the immediate defensive. Making people happy is a mind game.

www.fquick.com/demonspeed
Present: '02 SS #7146
Past: '89 IROC-Z|'91 Z28|'00 SS #0795|'01 Z28
post #10 of 12 Old 10-23-2008, 01:40 PM
Premium Member

Garage
YOU could also place a generic letter in their mailbox asking them to keep the noise down. That may be the best 1st response, then escalate from there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page