Quadriplegic's suit against GM alleges Camaro defectively designed - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 Old 11-06-2008, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Super Moderator

Quadriplegic's suit against GM alleges Camaro defectively designed

The car is a T Top car. IMO you take that risk just like when you decide to drive a vert. IMO it don't mean that the car should not be able to be made though. He didn't have to drive a T TOP Camaro.

http://www.setexasrecord.com/news/21...ively-designed

Quadriplegic's suit against GM alleges Camaro defectively designed

11/6/2008 11:00 AM
By Michelle Massey, Texarkana Bureau

MARSHALL -- When driving his 1995 Camaro, Christopher Reddick's vehicle left the highway and overturned after he lost control. Reddick was severely injured and rendered a quadriplegic.

Alleging the car is dangerous and defective, Reddick believes General Motors is responsible for his injuries in failing to recall or change the body design of the T-top model Cameros.

Christopher Reddick and his parents, Terri Eubanks and David Reddick filed the motor vehicle product liability suit against General Motors Corporation on Nov. 4 in the Marshall Division of the Eastern District of Texas.

The complaint argues the 1995 Chevrolet Camaro is not reasonably crashworthy due to a lack of body structural integrity.

The complaint sates, "General Motors Corporation failed to adequately reinforce the vehicle to minimize body instability, including torquing, bending, twisting and intrusions into the driver's compartment."

Due to the alleged defects, the plaintiff claims that during the accident when the vehicle overturned, the roof pillars collapsed. Reddick believes General Motors could have incorporated a permanent rail to strengthen the structural members to prevent roof collapse.

The plaintiff states that the acts of failing to improve the Camaro are of a "gross and flagrant character in reckless disregard of the safety and welfare of consumers…"

Further the complaint asserts that the vehicle was defective and unreasonably dangerous because the "the interior components and padding within the vehicle were defectively designed and inadequate to provide a reasonably safe occupant system" and "the vehicle failed to provide reasonable head and spine protection to the driver of the vehicle."

Causes of action asserted against the defendant include strict liability, negligence, gross negligence, and breach of warranty.

Reddick is seeking special, incidental, and consequential damages for medical care and treatment costs, pharmaceutical expenses, wage, benefits and economic loss, and travel costs. The complaint is seeking general damages for past and future pain and suffering, permanent physical injury, mental anxiety, emotional distress, and loss of enjoyment of life.

Terri Eubanks and David Reddick are seeking damages for emotional pain, loss of consortium, and pecuniary loss, including loss of care, maintenance, support, services, advice, and counseling.

Reddick's mother is also seeking damages to recoup monies spent on around the clock care, special transportation, and the substantial and necessary modifications she made to her home.

Longview attorneys John D. Sloan Jr., M. Raymond Hatcher, and Garrett Wilson of the Sloan, Bagley, Hatcher and Perry Law Firm are representing the plaintiffs.

U.S. District Judge T. John Ward will preside over the litigation.

1998 Camaro A4 7.06 @ 96.5 MPH NA 1.47 best 60ft
2010 Camaro Tube Chassis work in progress
post #2 of 46 Old 11-06-2008, 12:24 PM
Veteran Member

wow .... this makes me mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54inches View Post
Facebook has sucked me into Farmtown.

What can I say I love virtual plowing.
post #3 of 46 Old 11-06-2008, 12:25 PM
Banned

I guarantee you the family was approached by a *** ****** ambulance chaser.
post #4 of 46 Old 11-06-2008, 12:34 PM
Supporting Super Moderator

How exactly did he roll a camaro? I've never heard of anyone rolling a 4th gen unless excessive speeding was involved.

2010 Camaro RS SS LS3 (Bumble Bee) Vin#192 & 8 others made by GM and one Christine
post #5 of 46 Old 11-06-2008, 12:36 PM

Gotta wonder the situation too.... what was he doing when his vehicle "left the road after he lost control"

kind of sounds like a "watch this" moment gone bad. I dont know all the details, but theres no mention of mechanical malfunction, and i know my car doesnt just "leave the road" for no reason.

sounds like he's just trying to cash in any way he can.

Edit: ^^ Exactly
post #6 of 46 Old 11-06-2008, 01:01 PM

I bet he bought them **** thing because it HAD T-tops.

2006 Dodge Charger Daytona

Top Banana! 0653 of 4000
post #7 of 46 Old 11-06-2008, 01:46 PM
CJP
Veteran Member

Yeah, I have a 98 with T-Tops, I know what I bought when I got it. You want a crush proof ride? Roll-cage! My 67 SS has one. I want to know exactly how he lost control. I smell bull****!

Your Car, Your Story, only on COMBUSTION CHAMBER!
https://www.youtube.com/c/combustionchamber
post #8 of 46 Old 11-06-2008, 01:52 PM

This is the dumbest thing I've ever seen, don't get me wrong I feel bad for the guy, but all he's doing is trying to blame others for his problems. As stated above, he was likely screwing around to roll a Camaro, I mean come on its not like a top heavy SUV or something. What if he was in a convertible, what protection would he have then. Its not the car's fault, its just something that happens, sucks, and will have to be lived with.

2011 Synergy Green Metallic 1SS Camaro:
RS Package, White Ralley Stripes, Premium Sound.
Mods; Flowmaster Exhaust, Vararam CAI, Pfadt Sport Suspension, Budnik "Ice" Wheels, Nitto Invo tires
Upcoming Mods; Custom grill and badging.
post #9 of 46 Old 11-06-2008, 01:54 PM
CJP
Veteran Member

Aren't all 4th Gen's Pre-Cut for T-Tops? I thought if you got a hardtop, but wanted T-Tops, you could have the dealership do it?

Your Car, Your Story, only on COMBUSTION CHAMBER!
https://www.youtube.com/c/combustionchamber
post #10 of 46 Old 11-06-2008, 02:13 PM
Supporter of common sense

We don't have all of the information here (as usual from the media).
It is a safe assumption GM met every Federal mandate for vehicle safety in his 1995 Camaro. Not sure how much merit the case has after that.

They may be just going after a cash settlement to avoid court? Who knows...

Joe :: Over Anxious 67 Camaro RS/SS L78
5thgenblog.com // Michigan Classics
Chevrolet Camaro in Transformers // My ebaY auctions

Hot Rod Search Google searches for gearheads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page