Dropped by the local Mopar dealer today... - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 11-13-2008, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Garage
Dropped by the local Mopar dealer today...

Dropped by the local Dodge dealer today with his gleaming red Dodge Challenger on display mostly to take a peek at the Camaro's competition (if there really is any). The first thing that I noticed was that the car definitely had the "musclecar" look. Very clean lines on the outside. BUT, the interior of the car said anything but "musclecar". Very plain Jane...almost utilitarian to a degree. And they were asking $41.5k for a 5.7 R/T version. I finally asked the very nice but full of bull salesperson why I should consider his car rather than wait for the Camaro and he said (not making this up!) "Well, the Challenger has been out on the market longer and the colors available on it are better." He then started mumbling something about it being available in Petty Black. At that point I left the lot....I really don't see what folks are paying for...
post #2 of 13 Old 11-14-2008, 02:34 PM
Veteran Member

$41.5!? dayum if you said a srt8 i'd kinda believe you but i've only test driven a v6 se version and the 6 is seriously underpowered mainly due because of the weight of the car. if it weighs as much as the cammy or stang i would be slightly more inclined to consider it more but you just don't realize how BIG the car actually is until you drive it

The Induction may be forced but your humilation is up to you

5th GEN.Org's Offical Protagonist
UNITED STATES ARMY 19K
Currently with 3rd ID,2nd brig,1-64th armored battalion,d-co,2nd plt FT.Stewart,Georgia
DOG FACE SOLIDERS HOOAH
post #3 of 13 Old 11-14-2008, 03:03 PM

I saw nearly 10 of them in Va. Bch. and it was totally boring on the inside. No match for the outside at all. THe colors did look good, but not remarkable in any way. They were asking in the 20's, and 30's but none in the 40's. The prices were actually impressive, too bad the interior was so poor as was the mileage. The clown at that dealership you mentioned is way overpriced, considering the market and all. They need to get a grip and take a look at the news once in a while. Surprisingly, what I love most, a stick shift, was not an option on any of them! zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......
post #4 of 13 Old 11-14-2008, 04:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I saw nearly 10 of them in Va. Bch. and it was totally boring on the inside. No match for the outside at all. THe colors did look good, but not remarkable in any way. They were asking in the 20's, and 30's but none in the 40's. The prices were actually impressive, too bad the interior was so poor as was the mileage. The clown at that dealership you mentioned is way overpriced, considering the market and all. They need to get a grip and take a look at the news once in a while. Surprisingly, what I love most, a stick shift, was not an option on any of them! zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......
actually you can get a straight shift with the pistol grip for i believe 2009my and 2010my

UNITED STATES ARMY 19K
Currently with 3rd ID,2nd brig,1-64th armored battalion,d-co,2nd plt FT.Stewart,Georgia
DOG FACE SOLIDERS HOOAH
post #5 of 13 Old 11-14-2008, 04:06 PM
Banned

My best friend just picked up an 09 black SRT8 with every option and a 6 speed manual for $44,500. That is one bad ass looking car. It's a rolling spectacle. People stare and point wherever you go. It's crazy. For external (not interior) styling alone, the Challenger looks meaner than the new Camaro.
post #6 of 13 Old 11-14-2008, 05:17 PM
Veteran Member

I guess if all you want is looks, the Challenger is the way to go.
That tends to be how it is, dodge/chrysler has fancy looking cars..but that's it...it's all looks.
GM cars don't stand out that much as a general rule of thumb..but will hand its class competitor in Dodge/Chrysler its ass.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster.
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #7 of 13 Old 11-14-2008, 06:24 PM
Veteran Member

well yes and no i mean...yes the cammy has less weight and more power than the chally but the chally just needs to drop a few hundred which can be done in various ways.all i'm saying it all comes to car and driver and who can maximize the potential of both will be victorious.you know i'm right lu

Hell a Lotus Elise which only has a measly 190hp can run circles around a vette on a track with the proper driver.Yes the vette has a better power to weight but as I said you can have more power and weight but it means nothing if you can't drive

Elise: 10.4 Lbs per Hp
Vette:7.34 Lbs per Hp

UNITED STATES ARMY 19K
DOG FACE SOLIDERS HOOAH
post #8 of 13 Old 11-14-2008, 09:03 PM
Veteran Member

I have always wondered why dodge has to make there vehicles so dam heavy !!!!!!!
Back in the late 60's to mid 70's when the cuda , challenger and charger roamed the roads they had 440's and hemi's but weighed a Ton.
IF they would have only weighed less GM and Ford would probably
have had a tougher time with them when it came qtr mile times.
post #9 of 13 Old 11-15-2008, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Mojo View Post
Dropped by the local Dodge dealer today with his gleaming red Dodge Challenger on display mostly to take a peek at the Camaro's competition (if there really is any). The first thing that I noticed was that the car definitely had the "musclecar" look. Very clean lines on the outside. BUT, the interior of the car said anything but "musclecar". Very plain Jane...almost utilitarian to a degree. And they were asking $41.5k for a 5.7 R/T version. I finally asked the very nice but full of bull salesperson why I should consider his car rather than wait for the Camaro and he said (not making this up!) "Well, the Challenger has been out on the market longer and the colors available on it are better." He then started mumbling something about it being available in Petty Black. At that point I left the lot....I really don't see what folks are paying for...
Thats what I thought about the interior. But if the Camaro doesn't get built the Challenger is my next choice. Even with the crappy interior and weight the car looks good.

D.R.
post #10 of 13 Old 11-15-2008, 07:53 AM
Banned

I can tell you that the weight of the car detracts from the feeling of acceleration. One thing that will be interesting to see is if the Camaro SS has the road manners that the Challenger SRT8 does. The car rides nice. Other Camaros that I've owned or driven were rough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page