my key wont turn...any ideas? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 11-14-2008, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

my key wont turn...any ideas?

I have an '05 trailblazer...

Key goes in, ignition no turn. Tried jiggling the steering wheel (which isn't locked, which is weird) and moving the shifter around (which is locked)...nothing.

Any advice? Any GM techs here?

I'm looking for my spare key now, which seems to be AWOL.

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.

Last edited by POWERFREAK; 11-14-2008 at 07:49 PM.
post #2 of 14 Old 11-14-2008, 07:49 PM

Key cylinder is bad or key is bad. Try a new key if that dosent work then you need a new key cylinder.
post #3 of 14 Old 11-14-2008, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mase View Post
Key cylinder is bad or key is bad. Try a new key if that dosent work then you need a new key cylinder.
any work-arounds to get it started or at least get the thing out of park (would be easier to tow).

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
post #4 of 14 Old 11-14-2008, 08:04 PM
Supporter of common sense

I think GM stopped locking the steering wheel on trucks in 2003 or so.

Joe :: Over Anxious 67 Camaro RS/SS L78
5thgenblog.com // Michigan Classics
Chevrolet Camaro in Transformers // My ebaY auctions

Hot Rod Search Google searches for gearheads!
post #5 of 14 Old 11-14-2008, 08:11 PM
Veteran Member

I think you probably shut off the engine while holding a little torque on the steering wheel, which left the front wheels a little skewed. When you took the key out, and the locking pin slid back into place, then the steering column tried to straighten itself out. That put pressure on the locking pin, which made the key hard to turn.

-What I did to fix our Equinox is just wiggling the wheel back and forth an inch or two while I tried to twist the key. That unloaded the pin, and it worked all of a sudden. Hope it works!

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
post #6 of 14 Old 11-14-2008, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrent View Post
I think you probably shut off the engine while holding a little torque on the steering wheel, which left the front wheels a little skewed. When you took the key out, and the locking pin slid back into place, then the steering column tried to straighten itself out. That put pressure on the locking pin, which made the key hard to turn.

-What I did to fix our Equinox is just wiggling the wheel back and forth an inch or two while I tried to twist the key. That unloaded the pin, and it worked all of a sudden. Hope it works!
YES...got it started. I think that's what happened because I was turned into a parking spot at a weird angel so my wheels were turned (while picking up chinese food, which is now nice and cold) I went back with my spare key (luckily i was close to home), which at first didn't work...so I lost a bit of my temper (my wife tells me I have anger issues)...started turning the wheel and the key with a little more authority...and...pop, felt a bit of a click and it started. And now it's fine.

So what do you think...should I worry about it happening again, or just make sure my wheels are straight when turning it off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAnxious View Post
I think GM stopped locking the steering wheel on trucks in 2003 or so.
Really? pretty sure mine locks.

thanks for the help guys.

Quote:
post #7 of 14 Old 11-14-2008, 08:28 PM
Veteran Member

Something similar happens to my 97 s-10, but it's just when the wheel isn't locked. I jiggle the wheel until it locks and it starts right up.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster.
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #8 of 14 Old 11-14-2008, 10:08 PM
Veteran Member

I'm curious what is in the ignition on these vehicles????? My Gf had a Series BMW and this happened to be something it did every so often.....The bmw dealer told her to squirt Wd40 in the key hole for a few days straight and work the key slowly back and forth while moving the steering wheel then try and start the car. We did this and it worked.

shrugs

let us know if you ever figure this out im curious whats up
post #9 of 14 Old 11-15-2008, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonaYellow69ss396 View Post
I'm curious what is in the ignition on these vehicles????? My Gf had a Series BMW and this happened to be something it did every so often.....The bmw dealer told her to squirt Wd40 in the key hole for a few days straight and work the key slowly back and forth while moving the steering wheel then try and start the car. We did this and it worked.

shrugs

let us know if you ever figure this out im curious whats up

it seems fine now...might do the wd40 thing to hopefully keep it from happening again (and try not to leave the wheels turned when I turn it off).

Quote:
post #10 of 14 Old 11-15-2008, 10:23 AM
BDC

try holding the brake and pulling the shifter out of park then back into park again.

just another guy dreaming of owning a 09 camaro

WWW.MYSPACE.COM/BDCNDE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page