What defines a Musclecar? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 92 Old 11-24-2008, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

What defines a Musclecar?

My statement from another thread that was getting off topic.......

"That has absolutely NOTHING to do with it.

It is about tradition and the type of car.

Chevrolet
Ford
Chrysler

V8

RWD

That is what muscle is about.

Take one of those variables away from the equation and it's not MUSCLE.

A SUPRA is not muscle.

A Cobalt is not MUSCLE.

Remember it.

Love it.

Preach it."

I hate to do this, but from Wikipedia:

"Muscle car is a term used to refer to a variety of high performance automobiles.[1][2] The term principally refers to American, Australian and to a lesser extent South African models. It generally describes a 2-door rear wheel drive mid-size car with a large, powerful V8 engine, and at an affordable price. Although opinions vary, it is generally accepted that classic muscle cars were produced in the late 1960s and early 1970s.[3][4][5][6] Muscle cars were built for street use and in some cases racing. They are distinct from sports cars and also from GTs, which are two-seat or 2+2 cars intended for high-speed touring/road racing. These are not generally considered muscle cars owing to their small size, relatively high cost and specialty nature. (The two-seater AMC AMX may or may not be an exception: one source queries whether it qualifies as a true muscle car or pony car,[7] but also lists it among vehicles that fit the general interpretation of both categories.[8] AMC was "never shy" about describing the car as "a genuine sports car"[9] as it was relatively inexpensive).[3]

For a definition from the muscle car era, Peter Henshaw's 2004 book Muscle Cars refers the reader to an extract from Road Test magazine’s June 1967 issue: "Just what is a Muscle Car? Exactly what the name implies. It is a product of the American car industry adhering to the hot rodder's philosophy of taking a small car and putting a BIG engine in it [...] The Muscle Car is Charles Atlas kicking sand in the face of the 98 hp (73 kW) weakling." Henshaw adds that the muscle car was designed for straight-line speed, and did not have the "sophisticated chassis", "engineering integrity" or "lithe appearance" of European high-performance cars[10]

Opinions vary as to whether high-performance full-size cars, compacts, and pony cars qualify as muscle cars.[11]

Classic muscle cars are also defined by age and country of origin. The term "muscle car" did not enter common usage until after production of the vehicles had essentially ended,[3] and American print media of the era commonly referred to them as "supercars"."

BUICK GNX YES
SUPRA NO

Get me some wanted to know so post away and we can give our opinions....

2005 CTSV BLACK LS7 Clutch/Flywheel/Slave, Tick Speed Bleeder, Tilton Clutch MC, RevShift Bushings, Domestic V8 Solutions (shifter, 8.8 Diff conversion, srut tower braces, sub-frame connectors), SLP cats, no cags, xpipe, bullet mufflers, Volante, iPod dock, G-force tune; 379hp 381tq.

Killing 5th gens like it is my job.
post #2 of 92 Old 11-24-2008, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

A few websites to further my argument and definition.

http://musclecarfacts.net/

http://www.musclecargarage.com/

http://www.musclecarsociety.com/muscle-cars

2005 CTSV BLACK LS7 Clutch/Flywheel/Slave, Tick Speed Bleeder, Tilton Clutch MC, RevShift Bushings, Domestic V8 Solutions (shifter, 8.8 Diff conversion, srut tower braces, sub-frame connectors), SLP cats, no cags, xpipe, bullet mufflers, Volante, iPod dock, G-force tune; 379hp 381tq.

post #3 of 92 Old 11-24-2008, 09:50 PM
Veteran Member

ok as you've stated american ,australian rwd v-8 cars acre muscle cars but you also said the GNX fits into that criteria
my argument is the Supra fits as well
IT HAS RWD
IT HAS Forced Induction
IT HAS 2 seats
It a manual transmission
also what about E55/E63/C63 AMG mercedes ALL V-8 Rwd.I'm not sure if you've heard the exhausts from these vechiles but they deffinetly sound like a muscle car except for the supra.I will admit the AMG's only have automatics but the gnx and supra were offered with one

The Induction may be forced but your humilation is up to you

5th GEN.Org's Offical Protagonist
UNITED STATES ARMY 19K
Currently with 3rd ID,2nd brig,1-64th armored battalion,d-co,2nd plt FT.Stewart,Georgia
DOG FACE SOLIDERS HOOAH
post #4 of 92 Old 11-24-2008, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

I didn't say anything about Australian and the point that you are missing is AMERICAN.

post #5 of 92 Old 11-24-2008, 10:06 PM

In my opinion muscle cars are the cars from the 60's and 70's that were built for speed. American built two door, V8 powered, high horsepower, cars meant to be raced, right off the show room floor. Shoot, just do a Google image search for "muscle car" and look at what you find. Camaros, Chevelles, GTO, Superbees, Chargers, Challengers, Roadrunners, Mustangs, etc. These were the cars of the muscle car era.
post #6 of 92 Old 11-24-2008, 10:09 PM
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=54inches;90109]
I hate to do this, but from Wikipedia:

"Muscle car is a term used to refer to a variety of high performance automobiles.[1][2] The term principally refers to American, Australian and to a lesser extent South African models. QUOTE]
didn't you post this,i know it's from wikipedia and all

The Induction may be forced but your humilation is up to you

5th GEN.Org's Offical Protagonist
UNITED STATES ARMY 19K
Currently with 3rd ID,2nd brig,1-64th armored battalion,d-co,2nd plt FT.Stewart,Georgia
DOG FACE SOLIDERS HOOAH
post #7 of 92 Old 11-24-2008, 10:13 PM

Sorry, just don't get into the penis-waving "MY CAR DEFINES MY MANHOOD" stuff.

I'm getting a V6 Camaro and am perfectly fine with it. Guys at work are like "you MUST get the V8!!" and I'm like "why?", "BECAUSE!!"

Eh...
post #8 of 92 Old 11-24-2008, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Even the Brits know what a Muscle car is.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/T...Car_198217.htm

post #9 of 92 Old 11-24-2008, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue69 View Post
In my opinion muscle cars are the cars from the 60's and 70's that were built for speed. American built two door, V8 powered, high horsepower, cars meant to be raced, right off the show room floor. Shoot, just do a Google image search for "muscle car" and look at what you find. Camaros, Chevelles, GTO, Superbees, Chargers, Challengers, Roadrunners, Mustangs, etc. These were the cars of the muscle car era.
Exactly.

post #10 of 92 Old 11-24-2008, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarkyLuv View Post
Sorry, just don't get into the penis-waving "MY CAR DEFINES MY MANHOOD" stuff.

I'm getting a V6 Camaro and am perfectly fine with it. Guys at work are like "you MUST get the V8!!" and I'm like "why?", "BECAUSE!!"

Eh...
Don't post crap like that in my thread.

I posted this to have intelligent disagreements.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page