I think my starter is bad... any suggestions before I replace it? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 12-02-2008, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

I think my starter is bad... any suggestions before I replace it?

I have a 99 Sierra 1500 and i went out to start it the other day and i got nothin. All the Acc. came on but when I turn the key, I don't even hear the Solenoid on the starter engage. I heard the solenoid the first few times i tried it but after a few attempts, that stopped as well. I tried jumping it and got no where so i dont think its the battery. I tried changing the relay out but that didn't do anything. Can't find a fuse to check it. I think its a line fuse but i'm not sure.

The only reason i don't think its the starter itself is because it wasn't acting up at all before this. its like 30 degrees and under here and before the other day it started for me perfectly every time. It went from perfect straight to dead.

Any suggestions before I spend the money on a starter?

Thanks.
post #2 of 9 Old 12-02-2008, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member

my first guess would be the battery or a loose battery cable...if that's ruled out, I'd say yes, it sounds like the starter.

if you can get to it, try wacking the starter with a hammer (don't laugh, it's worked for me).

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.
post #3 of 9 Old 12-02-2008, 12:40 PM
Supporting Super Moderator

A good first place to start is to check battery cables to battery. Sometimes when loose they can corrode not allowing good contact. Also check the battery itself. I've done the hammer trick before and it works sometimes on a bad starter.

2010 Camaro RS SS LS3 (Bumble Bee) Vin#192 & 8 others made by GM and one Christine
post #4 of 9 Old 12-02-2008, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

If its a bad battery connection do you think the Acc.'s would come on? Like maybe its good enough for that but not a good enough connection to kick on the starter? I'm at class now but when i get back i'll check the connections and the hammer trick. Thanks guys!
post #5 of 9 Old 12-02-2008, 01:19 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SayUncle View Post
If its a bad battery connection do you think the Acc.'s would come on? Like maybe its good enough for that but not a good enough connection to kick on the starter? I'm at class now but when i get back i'll check the connections and the hammer trick. Thanks guys!

yes...just might not be getting enough juice to crank it over.

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-02-2008, 02:34 PM

agree, check battery terminals first, take them off and clean them up. if it still doesn't start, could always take it off and take it to your local parts store and have them test it out
post #7 of 9 Old 12-02-2008, 07:13 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeters113 View Post
agree, check battery terminals first, take them off and clean them up. if it still doesn't start, could always take it off and take it to your local parts store and have them test it out
X2!

post #8 of 9 Old 12-02-2008, 07:25 PM
Supporting Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SayUncle View Post
I just went thru this problem with the vette. Lights would come on, but as soon as I hit the ign nothing. I cleaned the connectors and coated them with dielectric grease.

2010 Camaro RS SS LS3 (Bumble Bee) Vin#192 & 8 others made by GM and one Christine
post #9 of 9 Old 12-02-2008, 07:27 PM
Veteran Member

So was it your starter too, Scott?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page