How I got Black Magic ... and how she got that name - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Member Camaro Journals & Builds Tell us the story of YOUR Camaro! How you got it and what you've done with it!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 11-12-2011, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
How I got Black Magic ... and how she got that name

Well, the story of how I came by my Camaro is sort of long.

It really started in 2006, when I bought a beat up 1988 IROC-Z28. Over the next couple years, I spent a lot of money and time on the car trying to revive and restore it. I wasn't aiming for a show car - I wasn't under any illisions that I would have something unique, seeing as there are about a million 3rd gen Camaros around - but I wanted something nice, something that people would take notice of and comment on when they saw it. So I got a second job at a local auto parts store (discounted parts and bonus cash was a win:win) and commenced replacing things. Like, everything. In fact, looking back now, the only things I DIDN'T replace was the original dash/center console, the quarters, roof, hood, hatch and wheels. Everything else, literally, was replaced at one point or another. I spent a lot of money on the car, probably around $6000 in parts. Just parts - because my husband is a master mechanic and did 95% of the labor for me. I got as far as a completed drive train (with problems) and a completed custom interior. At this point, I was over budget and frustrated, but hell bent on finishing this **** car. Unfortunately, it just wasn't meant to be. The body work and paint exceeded even my tenacity. I didn't find out til after we started tearing the car apart the first time that it was a road course car at one point, and had been sorely abused. My husband and I had a real heart to heart - actually, he adamently refused to do a single thing more to this lost cause and demanded that I part it out, or buy a nice rolling chassis and swap the good stuff out. I started thinking about it, and decided that I didn't want to wait another year (he has an 86 GTA he is restoring/modifying, and I didn't expect him to put his car on hold another year just to redo my redo). I offered up parting the IROC out and buying a new Camaro, an idea he was surprisingly ok with.

And so the search began. I found an absolutely gorgeous red jewel RS, with all sorts of options and goodies. When I worked the numbers, I ended up being a teensy bit short on cash. New 2012 models were an even longer shot. I could have held out until spring and accumulated more money from the dismantling of the IROC, but suddenly, after 2 weeks of fruitless negotiating, an attractively priced 2LS popped up on the listings. I already knew where I stood with my bank, and contacted the dealer the morning after I found the listing. They were an hour away, and took me on faith concerning the condition of my trade; I told them I wanted the car and didn't even bother to negotiate price. It fit my numbers, that's all that mattered.

I picked up my 2011 Camaro on Thurs, 11-10-11. The used car salesman I worked with told me the story behind the car, which had less than 7500 miles on it. The previous owner had loved the car, but made the mistake of drinking too much and driving home. It's easy to speed in these things (I found out just how easy about 5 minutes after leaving the dealership) and he got pulled over for speeding. Consequently, he also got a DUI, and had no choice but to part with his Camaro. It's funny to think his one bad choice to drink and drive dictated that I would would be the car's owner today.

As of today, I've owned it about 52 hours. And I already know I'm insanely in love with it. It's not my first sports car, but it has easily become my favorite car of all those I've had before it. So that's my little story, and take from it two lessons:

1. Don't drink and drive. Someone else will own your car.
2. If you set your mind to it, and have a little luck, you can get what you want.

As for what I've done to the car; well, I've washed it once. I ordered the OEM spoiler. I plan on getting the SS wheels, or replicas, tinting the windows and having the OEM leather installed. Other than that, I'm not concrete on anything else. I wouldn't mind giving it a little growl, but I'm a little apprehensive about ending up with tinny ricer ring. If anyone managed to get a nice sound out of their V6 I'd love to hear about it. As for mods, well, it all depends on what I can afford, and what doesn't void the warranty.

Black Magic may not be the most original name, but it isn't mine. The name came from one of my best friends, who dubbed it thusly (and my husband's white Magnum 'the Holy Ghost') and I couldn't very well turn it down.

Thanks for reading!

ETA: More pics! Yay!

Last edited by B11ackMagic; 11-20-2011 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Add pics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 11-13-2011, 10:14 AM
Support MC & Troops

Nice right up.. you should use this thread to start your build thread for your new camaro,
again congrats, can't wait to see more pics +

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Getting way pumped up ..LOL(Never giving up !)

The all new Convertible (Born 1/11/11) !, Welcome to the Fleet !
SHADOW 2013 GBA 2SS/RS A6 Vert (2/13/14)
"FROST 2011 SIM LT1 A6 " FIRST VERT MOTM AUGUST 2013
*PROTESTING GM*
"GIVE ME MY13'IBM ZL1 vert GM!"
post #3 of 22 Old 11-13-2011, 06:15 PM
sdk
Veteran Member

Garage
Welcome. I enjoyed your story!!

2017 Camaro SS
South Carolina

post #4 of 22 Old 11-13-2011, 06:15 PM
ユキヒョウ

Sounds like it was meant to be. There's plenty of meaningful mods whether it be the V6 or V8, so you won't have to worry about it sounding tinny. Congrats and Welcome to Just beware, once you start modding, it's hard to stop

2019 1SS/1LE
post #5 of 22 Old 11-13-2011, 07:25 PM

Garage
Thanks for all the info!!!! No one can say you haven't earned your Camaro! Black Magic rides again!!! BTW, if ya find a good deal on a used spoiler, I have the oem template. I just put one on mine and I got the template to go with. There are good deals out there for the stock spoiler. I got mine for 50 bucks already factory black.

Bill

'14 1LS
'13 1LT/RS
Camaro Family

Last edited by obxbill; 11-13-2011 at 07:28 PM.
post #6 of 22 Old 11-13-2011, 07:49 PM
Veteran Member

Welcome! Thank you for writing!
post #7 of 22 Old 11-13-2011, 09:16 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Great story, and looking forward to hearing about and following the "build" and of course we will be happy to help!

2010 2SS/RS A6 L99 Born 09/16/2009 Vin#9146985
ModernCamaro Car of the Month Jan 2013
CAI,Axle back exhaust, V Max Throttle Body
post #8 of 22 Old 11-15-2011, 06:54 AM

Great story and welcome.

2011 2SS CGM/IO Convertible - MySSt
post #9 of 22 Old 11-20-2011, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancygrl View Post
Just beware, once you start modding, it's hard to stop
Oh I know it. I had a 2000 Grand Prix GTP with a fair amount of work done to it. It was a fun car, and relatively inexpensive to mod. It still sucked me in though, and I'm hoping to keep myself on the level with this one. So far, I'm only spending the money I earn from parting out the IROC on parts for this one. I had a short list, but it's getting longer and longer!

post #10 of 22 Old 11-21-2011, 01:42 AM

Garage
Welcome...

Camaro's are an Obsession....Enjoy....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page